9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
updated w/new pics- 16 in wheel covers on 15 in wheels with 215 Michelin Defenders

Scotty started a thread about using the 16 in gen 8 caps on our wheels a while back and I decided to do it. I started a new thread since the other one is buried in the exterior styling forum and I've got some good pictures of what they look like with the 215 Michelin's on it. I bought these off CL for 50.00 shipped. Some scratches but I'm painting them anyways. So, I get the nicer look but keep the cushy ride of the taller sidewalls. First of all, like Scotty said in his thread, modding these caps is brain-dead easy. The big benefit of using the wider 215 tires is that when you put the caps on, there is no gap like on the stock set-up. There is easily a 1/4 in gap between the tire and cap that makes them look very Wal-Martish. tn_WP_000471.jpg What you need to do is simply cut off the locator tabs on the back flush with the the air vent as seen in these pictures-you can use a dremel instead of a die grinder it just takes longer. Using the cutoff wheel literally took me 60 seconds to do each wheel. Don't cut off the 2 longer tabs since they are actually helpful in locating the cap on the rim. tn_WP_000468.jpg tn_WP_000470.jpg The 2 flaps of plastic that are on either side of the notch for the valve stem can be cut off flush as well. You won't be able to line up the valve stem cutout on these 15 in wheels but no problem since you just rotate the cap until the valve stem is in the middle of one of the vents. tn_WP_000463.jpg Here is a picture of how tight the cap sits to the tire- making it look like it is actually mounted on the cap... tn_WP_000462.jpg Here is a A-B comparison of the 15 vs 16 in caps. As you can see, the tires look much lower profile. I'm going to be painting these before I put them on the car- a darker titanium color but not as dark as the PPM color on the car. You can't go too dark since the contrast between the silver and the black wheels is what keeps your eye from seeing the wheel instead of the cover. tn_WP_000460.jpg tn_WP_000461.jpg

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,542 Posts
Sorry, speed, that I never got back to you in my thread, but you did a great job, nonetheless. I guess I didn't reply because there was nothing else to add.

I don't see any evidence of wheel weights. I had to cut a small notch in each cover to accommodate the wheel weight. How did you get around this? Do your wheels have weights?

I'm glad you were pleased enough with the idea to actually carry it out. Please post pictures of your painted, completed project.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, they had weights but I guess they sit down in the lip far enough to not interfere with the cover. Or maybe the edge of the cover is actually being held out slightly by the tire. I'll check and see...

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,542 Posts
Or maybe the edge of the cover is actually being held out slightly by the tire. I'll check and see...
That was the case with me. In each case, I trimmed off a small piece of the cover with my grinder.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A few new pictures (before and after) after painting and rim stripes. I mixed up a dark silver/titanium color to paint the rims since they were scratched up anyways. The rim stripes are from my friend at tapeworks.com who is developing an easy self install kit and he wanted me to try it out on a set of hubcaps. The car definitely has a more bad boy look. The rim stripes give it a slightly custom look without being too goofy looking.
tn_WP_000493.jpg tn_WP_000494.jpg tn_WP_000497.jpg tn_WP_000495.jpg tn_WP_000496.jpg

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,542 Posts
Looks great, speed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts