9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 689 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, ive had my 2012 civic si sedan for a year and half. the past 6-8 months ive noticed my clutch making a weird grinding noise. its similar to that of dragging a table across the floor. ive been driving stick my whole life so i know its not shitty shifting. it happens about 80% of the time. it only happens when i go from a dead stop and start accelerating. once the car build momentum it goes away. it only happens in 1st and between 1500-2000rpm. If i start from 2nd, i dont get the noise. Ive taken it to honda a few times already and they keep saying they cant find anything. Mostly because they dont know what to look for (because i cant seem to replicate it).

has anyone else experienced this?
any and all help would be extremely appreciated.

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
Likewise.. I think I might upgrade my clutch line and see if that changes anything

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2012 Si just started doing this. It only does it when I'm at a full stop in first gear. It doesn't do it all the time. I'm bringing my car to Honda to look at. If this a clutch issue, would this be covered under the drivetrain warranty? The service person I spoke with had no idea.

·
You Don't know Me!
4,030 Posts
funnie mine just started doing this too on 1st gear fully stop and then taking off right after 36K miles.

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
Check your idler pulleys yet guys? Curious to see if anyone else had any luck with that quick fix mentioned in the link I posted above.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm surprised Honda and most their dealers are not acknowledging this is a real problem. I've seen many members here with 2012 Si's have this exact issue, including myself. I started a similar thread about a year ago. Knowing this issue does not happen all the time, the dealers will most likely say they're unable to replicate the grinding sound and feel.

That's why I started the thread in hopes some members had the same problem. I was lucky another member here with this issue just had his Si fixed when I started my thread. Even more lucky, the dealer he dealt with was not too far from me. I took my car in couple months later and guess what? They told me they couldn't replicate the problem. To my surprise, they told me to bring my car back on a weekday and they'll replace the whole clutch assembly! My advisor said they'll take the whole thing apart and send it to Honda to see where the problem is. I wasn't going to argue with that. It's been over 10 months now on the new clutch and I have not heard or felt a thing since then. To be honest, I have not been back to that service department since then due to them not being nearest to me. So, I have not been able to follow up to see what Honda was able to find. Dealer is Norm Reeves Honda in Cerritos. Thanks guer086 for sending me to them and hopefully your clutch is problem free as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I came back from the dealer and of course he couldn't replicate the sound. The second I pulled out of the lot, it happened for me. I drove with one of the staff engineers and he tried to tell me it was the way I was driving. I haven't changed a thing about the way I drive though, and this started happening about a month ago. I told him I wouldn't waste my time or his if this wasn't something I was hearing. This is really frustrating.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I just wanted to chime in and let everyone know Honda is investigating this issue. I work at a dealership and AHM(American Honda Motor Co.) sends out requests from the Technical Research & Support Group for Visits/Parts through the Honda Network. I believe I posted this on the other post about grinding clutch noise..but this is what the request from Honda Looks like:

"Background

American Honda (AHM) is investigating certain 2012 M/T Civic Sis with a complaint of a clutch noise when engaging the clutch in 1[SUP]st[/SUP] gear or when accelerating from a stop. The noise can be described as grinding, squeaking, groaning, rubbing or metallic. To fully understand the cause of this condition, AHM would like to inspect the vehicle prior to you attempting a repair of any kind.

Qualifiers

AHM is interested ONLY if the vehicle meets the following requirements:
1.Vehicle must be under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty (3 years or 36,000 miles)

2.No extended warranty

3.No previous clutch repair

Action Required

If you have or know of such a vehicle, please call Technical Research & Support (TRS) Group at 800-880-****. TRS will need to record certain vehicle information and provide you with further instructions.

Thank you. "

They're investigating the issue but no Technical Service Bulletin or Repair has come out yet. I will post the repair when it becomes available.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I took my Si to the dealer that I purchased my car from, and they were able to replicate the sound. They contacted the AHMC technical support line and they recommended a full clutch assembly replacement. I can't believe this.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I took my Si to the dealer that I purchased my car from, and they were able to replicate the sound. They contacted the AHMC technical support line and they recommended a full clutch assembly replacement. I can't believe this.
Thats's crazy. I hope that's not the permanant fix for this issue. That would suck. Maybe this is just the repair until they find the true issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thats's crazy. I hope that's not the permanant fix for this issue. That would suck. Maybe this is just the repair until they find the true issue.
They told me that it's difficult to pinpoint where and what is causing the sound and that this is a unique problem. Honestly, I don't think they know what to do and are taking the safe route. What ticks me off is one dealer took the extra step to look at the problem while the other (Joyce Honda NJ) attested this to the way I drove. I would urge anyone who is experiencing the same sound who is below or close to 36k miles to take their cars in. I waited a month before I took my car in and I was at 35.5k miles. I don't know if this is the best solution because how will this guarantee me it won't happen when I hit 75k miles? The same dealer replaced my piston valves because of excessive oil consumption so I'm hoping they fix the problem with my clutch as well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've had the same thing since I had about 5k on the car. I felt it was too difficult to explain to service techs so I didn't even bother as it only happened once in a while. Now it's doing it once or twice a day and it's quite embarrassing to have people turn and look. I just turned 40k so it looks like I'm sol. I think it should be covered under drivetrain 5/50k if it's happening to a lot of people.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
275 Posts
Mine does this too, clutch seems fine other then the sound though, no huge deal if it's just a rare sound, hopefully it's an easy fix, I'm at about 40k

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 689 Posts