9th Gen Civic Forum banner
641 - 660 of 693 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
I heard this noise pretty recently for the first time when leaving the gym. It was noticeable right away and I was able to duplicate it the same night from my garage (I'll try to upload a video). It sounds similar to some other vids in this thread, though maybe not as bad.

The original dealership where I purchased the car just told me it was normal and not detrimental to the car or performance at all. They never offered to complete the job out of good faith and the fact that a car with only 50K shouldn't be having clutch noises. Considering I don't abuse my car or drive it hard, I found it hard to believe that the clutch noise was "normal."

I decided I probably needed a 2nd opinion and recalled a co-worker knew someone that worked at another local Honda (ended up being the assistant service manager). I reached out and ended up popping by the next day. The foreman immediately knew what I was referring to and was super helpful and understood my frustration with a relatively new car. After the quick test drive in which we couldn't duplicate the noise, we exchanged contact info and the assistant service manager said she would check on potentially getting it covered.

Turns out I will be be getting the full clutch assembly replaced (apparently it's a revised unit) this coming Tuesday and will hopefully take just a day to get it all done. Either way, they are supplying me with a rental so I don't have to worry about getting around with the car in the shop.

Here's the video I took the first night I heard the noise:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I guess I'm joining the party!

God dammit. My car just started doing this too - right at 60,100~ miles. Perfect timing.

Any idea what this is? I've read about 20 pages of this thread and there are so many conflicting answers I'm not sure what to believe or where to start.

Is is the tensioner pulley? Is it something to do with the clutch springs as some have mentioned? Hot spots? I'm not super familiar with diagnosing car issues and don't know enough to get into it myself so any help would be very much appreciated.

Only seems to happen sometimes in 1st (and occasionally, but more rarely in 2nd) as the clutch engages (as in, as I left my foot off the clutch).

·
Registered
72 Posts
My 2013 Civic Si started doing this at 80k miles. I'm thinking it's the clutch. I bought a clutch masters FX100 i just cant find a trustable shop that can replace it. Is it hard for you to get into first gear? My car doesn't grind or anything but it's hard to get into first gear.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just got my car back on 01/04 and I must say the car drives much smoother then before the replacement. In addition to the humming noise, there was also a rattle in 1st gear when engaging (more noticeable uphill from a stop), but I never bothered taking it in. It's been there since I bought the car. Now the humming and rattle noises are gone and the clutch is completely quiet

Engagement is more or less the same, though that might just be due to the new pressure plate. The new fluid was icing on the top, and paired with Acuity bushings all around, the car shifts like butter. I thought it shifted smooth before, but it's even better now.

Here is a list of what was replaced:

94109-14000 90400 WASHER, DRAIN (14MM)
94109-20000 90400 WASHER, DRAIN (20MM)
22300-RX0-005 22300 DISK, PRESSURE
22103-PNA-003 91430 BUSH (21X24X8)
22200-RX0-005 22200 DISK, FRICTION
22100-RX0-005 22100 FLYWHEEL
22810-RPN-003 22863 BEARING
90305-SD4-003 90200 NUT, SPINDLE (24MM)
08798-9031 08201 FLUID, MT

They also did an alignment since they had to drop the sub-frame in order to complete the job. It was pulling a bit to the left so that was nice to get done too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just got my car back on 01/04 and I must say the car drives much smoother then before the replacement. In addition to the humming noise, there was also a rattle in 1st gear when engaging (more noticeable uphill from a stop), but I never bothered taking it in. It's been there since I bought the car. Now the humming and rattle noises are gone and the clutch is completely quiet

Engagement is more or less the same, though that might just be due to the new pressure plate. The new fluid was icing on the top, and paired with Acuity bushings all around, the car shifts like butter. I thought it shifted smooth before, but it's even better now.

Here is a list of what was replaced:

94109-14000 90400 WASHER, DRAIN (14MM)
94109-20000 90400 WASHER, DRAIN (20MM)
22300-RX0-005 22300 DISK, PRESSURE
22103-PNA-003 91430 BUSH (21X24X8)
22200-RX0-005 22200 DISK, FRICTION
22100-RX0-005 22100 FLYWHEEL
22810-RPN-003 22863 BEARING
90305-SD4-003 90200 NUT, SPINDLE (24MM)
08798-9031 08201 FLUID, MT

They also did an alignment since they had to drop the sub-frame in order to complete the job. It was pulling a bit to the left so that was nice to get done too.
Was this all covered under warranty?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Yep, revised clutch assembly says a lot. I haven't got my replaced yet. But I can tell you after reading and reading and some more reading. I've determined, like Honda has, the clutch has to be replaced... Originally I thought maybe there was some rust/corrosion build up where the slave plunger sits. Wish that were the case! It's all good though, for those of us that are married, those are the justifications we need to tell the wife, haha.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I heard this noise pretty recently for the first time when leaving the gym. It was noticeable right away and I was able to duplicate it the same night from my garage (I'll try to upload a video). It sounds similar to some other vids in this thread, though maybe not as bad.

The original dealership where I purchased the car just told me it was normal and not detrimental to the car or performance at all. They never offered to complete the job out of good faith and the fact that a car with only 50K shouldn't be having clutch noises. Considering I don't abuse my car or drive it hard, I found it hard to believe that the clutch noise was "normal."

I decided I probably needed a 2nd opinion and recalled a co-worker knew someone that worked at another local Honda (ended up being the assistant service manager). I reached out and ended up popping by the next day. The foreman immediately knew what I was referring to and was super helpful and understood my frustration with a relatively new car. After the quick test drive in which we couldn't duplicate the noise, we exchanged contact info and the assistant service manager said she would check on potentially getting it covered.

Turns out I will be be getting the full clutch assembly replaced (apparently it's a revised unit) this coming Tuesday and will hopefully take just a day to get it all done. Either way, they are supplying me with a rental so I don't have to worry about getting around with the car in the shop.

Here's the video I took the first night I heard the noise:

What year is your Civic? Mine is doing the same.
Mine is a 2012 so I do not have the factory warranty.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I'll keep an eye on this thread. Don't think I can do anything now since I only hear it occasionally.

Update: I spoke with my dealer yesterday since my car is currently there for another issue. Service advisor said they just had another Si in the shop last week with this issue. He wasn't sure what they replaced, but he's going to find out. Only thing they can do with mine is road test it and see if they can duplicate the noise.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
I'll keep an eye on this thread. Don't think I can do anything now since I only hear it occasionally.

Update: I spoke with my dealer yesterday since my car is currently there for another issue. Service advisor said they just had another Si in the shop last week with this issue. He wasn't sure what they replaced, but he's going to find out. Only thing they can do with mine is road test it and see if they can duplicate the noise.
To duplicate the noise reliably.
Stop the car on an incline (all wheels should be on the incline), front facing up hill. A truck loading ramp will do.
Then it's a matter of starting from a stop in 1st gear, up the ramp.
The noise should occur.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
To duplicate the noise reliably.
Stop the car on an incline (all wheels should be on the incline), front facing up hill. A truck loading ramp will do.
Then it's a matter of starting from a stop in 1st gear, up the ramp.
The noise should occur.
Thanks Teeps. We have a loading dock out back with a ramp. I'll try it later.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Started to hear this exact same noise in my 2012 si coupe.....

Bought it used in April, it's got around 71k on it....noise started around 68k....

What am I looking at here?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'll add my .02$ here,

I had the same problem happening, starting at about 45,000km driving across the country. It's DAMNED annoying. Additionally, my car has started making a grinding noise right when I start it that only seems to be happening on cold mornings. I'm not sure if it's the starter or something else. Some people have said that sometimes this happens with flywheels and causes the grinding sound, and maybe the two issues are somewhat related?

I've pretty much been given the same gambit. We'll take it apart, if it's not warranty you pay. I have the money if I had to, but I would definitely NOT pay if I wasn't still under warranty. Plus I'm 4000km away from 60,000km which is when my coverage ends. I'm in London Ontario at the moment, trying to think about what to do. A tech has replicated the issue, and I've documented it both with the Dealer and Customer Service...

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
My car is currently at the dealer waiting on an EPS module to be installed under warranty. Failed at 35k miles. Now with this clutch noise (which I'm not sure will be covered under warranty if it needs to be fixed), I'm wondering if I should ditch the car. My dealer also owns VW next door and they've offered me a very nice lease deal on a GTI, using my Si as a trade-in. My wife has leased 6-7 cars from them, so that helped get a good price. Wondering how much of an issue the clutch will be and whether it's worth keeping the car. Too many issues for a car with 35k miles, especially since I don't abuse the car in nay way. Makes me really question the reliability. My old 2012 was an oil burner. Now I have this one with other issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm late to this party as well. Bought my 2012 Si used back in June 2015 41K Km on it. I can't remember exactly when I first noticed it maybe 3-6 months after i bought it I heard that noise for the first time, exactly as the one thats being described over and over with the whatever you wanna call it noise when taking off from first. I would notice it every now and then but it was so infrequent that I didn't pay much attention to it. Now the car has 82K km on it and i am hearing it much more frequently the last 4 months or so, mainly on inclines like everyone else, but also sometimes when starting on a flat road. Other than this it's been a great car, always serviced at Honda, all services done when needed and oil changed every 4 months. I decided to finally look into this and i'm glad i did because at least I know I'm not alone with this.

But basically i want to know....

I bought the Honda plus New Vehicle Plan Comprehensive - 84 months, 130000km warranty when I bought the car (they make you feel so nice in the dealership but i thought it was good for $1500) the original bumper to bumper warranty expired shortly before i bought it. If I go to the dealer to have them look into this, and i can replicate the sound will I have any chance of this getting covered under the warranty? I read the contract provisions and the services/components/parts not covered and while it does not specifically say "clutch" anywhere I can see...but it does seem like they can get you with "Normal replacement of parts that gradually or progressively deteriorate", "repairs needed as a result in whole or in part of misuse or abuse, negligence. tampering etc.", "Repairs needed as a result in whole or in part of vibration, deterioration, discoloration etc.". I don't abuse my car (2nd owner), I've never dumped the clutch or raced anyone. I open it up on the highway now and then but I mostly drive it like its a Kia in town. I have also noticed recently that I have to release the clutch pedal just a bit slower when taking off or changing gears, than when i first got it to keep it smooth when the clutch engages but it drives fine when hooked up. No other noises or problems.

The bad dampening springs make sense....but is it just that they are cheap or is the underlying issue known?

I thought I read somewhere that the clutch they are installing now is updated rather than the original OEM one is that true?

Not sure if im gonna bother fixing it right now if I can't get warranty. Has anyone in the Hamilton or Greater Toronto Area had this problem taken care of by a dealer in that location? I usually go to Halton Honda. Or should I contact Honda Canada about this first?

Kind of a long post but i'd really appreciate any response to any of my questions.

641 - 660 of 693 Posts