9th Gen Civic Forum banner
661 - 680 of 693 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
God dammit. My car just started doing this too - right at 60,100~ miles. Perfect timing.

Any idea what this is? I've read about 20 pages of this thread and there are so many conflicting answers I'm not sure what to believe or where to start.

Is is the tensioner pulley? Is it something to do with the clutch springs as some have mentioned? Hot spots? I'm not super familiar with diagnosing car issues and don't know enough to get into it myself so any help would be very much appreciated.

Only seems to happen sometimes in 1st (and occasionally, but more rarely in 2nd) as the clutch engages (as in, as I left my foot off the clutch).
I'm still just as confused with all of these responses... Is it clutch springs? Tensioner pulley? A bad clutch?

I'm past the warranty on mine now, so I don't know what to do - if it's worth bringing in and getting it looked at, and potentially fixed, or just dealing with it for now. (I don't want to ignore it and potentially ruin something in doing so, though)

How have any of you without a warranty approached this issue? What did you do/what was the solution?

·
Registered
438 Posts
So I took my car to the stealership and they gave me the regular robot response “We have never heard of this issue or this service bulletin. If we don’t find a issue then we have to charge you $150 for diagnosis time. You are past the 3 year warranty but because you purchased the extended it might be covered. We just have to wait for the warranty guy to review it”. I sure hope it’s covered as I don’t need a $1500 bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys, I'm experience the same 1st gear clutch noise everyone is talking about in this thread. 2013 67k, pretty much out of warranty. I don't mind paying out of pocket, for repairs but I want to know if this issue will return if I replace it with the OEM parts.

Were the parts at fault revised to fix these problems? Or should I just look at aftermarket?

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Hey guys, I'm experience the same 1st gear clutch noise everyone is talking about in this thread. 2013 67k, pretty much out of warranty. I don't mind paying out of pocket, for repairs
but I want to know if this issue will return if I replace it with the OEM parts.

Were the parts at fault revised to fix these problems?

Or should I just look at aftermarket?
Probably.

Last I heard before my internal source retired 2 years ago; NO.

Sorry, no experience with after market clutch parts.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Hey guys, I'm experience the same 1st gear clutch noise everyone is talking about in this thread. 2013 67k, pretty much out of warranty. I don't mind paying out of pocket, for repairs but I want to know if this issue will return if I replace it with the OEM parts.

Were the parts at fault revised to fix these problems? Or should I just look at aftermarket?
I remember reading heavily on this topic and users that got it replaced by the stealership ended up with the same issue. Supposedly the stealership says it does not afffect performance and will keep coming back no matter how many times you replace it with the stock clutch. You’ll have to go aftermarket.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I was under the impression that the parts are revised versions of the original. These are the part numbers for everything that was installed on my car:

94109-14000 90400 WASHER, DRAIN (14MM)
94109-20000 90400 WASHER, DRAIN (20MM)
22300-RX0-005 22300 DISK, PRESSURE
22103-PNA-003 91430 BUSH (21X24X8)
22200-RX0-005 22200 DISK, FRICTION
22100-RX0-005 22100 FLYWHEEL
22810-RPN-003 22863 BEARING
90305-SD4-003 90200 NUT, SPINDLE (24MM)
08798-9031 08201 FLUID, MT

·
Registered
865 Posts
I remember reading heavily on this topic and users that got it replaced by the stealership ended up with the same issue. Supposedly the stealership says it does not afffect performance and will keep coming back no matter how many times you replace it with the stock clutch. You’ll have to go aftermarket.
I had mine replaced twice by the dealership. Noise eventually came back. It's gotten to the point where I can recreate the noise on demand.

·
Registered
202 Posts
If it makes you all feel better...my 2015 Si Coupe has started to make the same noise at around 16k. I have 16600 miles on the odometer at the moment. The car will be 3 years old on 6/30.

I have a hard time believing it could be the clutch...I barely drive the car and I definitely do not abuse it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 14 Si Sedan with only 43,000 miles and had the noise since about 35k or so. Decided to have a local shop install the clutch and found the clutch springs to be the problem. One was very loose making the noise. New clutch kit and throwout bearing in the car and no more noise hopefully it never comes back.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have been intermittently having this same noise for a little while now. I'm wanting it to become a bit more consistent so I can take the car to the dealer and try to work out a warranty claim either with them or with the aftermarket warranty I got from them. I'm unfortunately not hopeful that either will budge. I may try the pulley simply because it's easy to do but I really don't think that's the issue.

For reference I have a 2013 Si Sedan with 30,200 miles on it at the time of this post. Purchased new from the dealer and only serviced there other than tires. Being that I'm past the 3 year mark of the warranty I'm going to harp very hard on the mileage factor and see what I can work out.

Grrr.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had this issue for my 2015 Civic SI Coupe. Days before my a/c compressor seized, the noise occurred every time I accelerated from a complete stop. After getting my a/c compressor replaced, the issue has gone away.

·
Registered
438 Posts
2014 civic si with 28’xxx km.
I have it since new and it’s almost 4 years old. I paid $2000 for extended warranty (waste of money). Took it in for the same issue EVERYONE else is having. Snooty service adviser advises me that I need a clutch. I show the video from here and said a lot of people are having this issue what are the chances of warranty? She replies your over your 3 years warranty which I retort I have extended warranty. I’ll look into it she says. I call back 2 weeks later and I get no warranty!!!! Luckily I have worked with the service manager. I tell him the whole story and said he will try. He gets back to me and says I ave to pay for them to look at my clutch ($650). If it shows signs of blue then no warranty if it doesn’t then fully covered. I don’t want the same issue in 3 or 4 more years so I bought a ACT AR2-HDSS Second stage clutch kit. It goes in Thursday and I will report the outcome.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Si 1st Gear Clutch Squeak

Can anyone point me to a Honda validated solution? I have a '12 with 50k and confident the same problem after reading the comments that suggest the idler pulley is the culprit, and seems cheap, but if I have to take it in anyway would like to know if anything else needs to be done. Thanks.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Can anyone point me to a Honda validated solution? I have a '12 with 50k and confident the same problem after reading the comments that suggest the idler pulley is the culprit, and seems cheap, but if I have to take it in anyway would like to know if anything else needs to be done. Thanks.
I think this is a clutch spring issue. I have got a second stage clutch and the noise is gone.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Any updates on this from people who have had this problem solved? My 14 SI is at 67k and has had the noise since around 45k miles.
Honda Canada isn’t admitting fault but they found the noise to be the clutch springs prematurely wearing out causing that noise. I got it covered under warranty.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Any updates on this from people who have had this problem solved?

My 14 SI is at 67k and has had the noise since around 45k miles.
My Civic contact left Honda a couple years ago.
At that time he said there were no countermeasures in place and none on the horizon.
So far as I know, any new parts from the Honda parts bin will be the same specification as when the car was built.
The noise IS just a noise and presents no detriment to the service life of the clutch, as I have been told.

It's all moot now anyway as, the 9th gen Civic (drive train) is 3 years in the rear view mirror now.

661 - 680 of 693 Posts