9th Gen Civic Forum banner
681 - 693 of 693 Posts
7 Posts
My Civic contact left Honda a couple years ago.
At that time he said there were no countermeasures in place and none on the horizon.
So far as I know, any new parts from the Honda parts bin will be the same specification as when the car was built.
The noise IS just a noise and presents no detriment to the service life of the clutch, as I have been told.

It's all moot now anyway as, the 9th gen Civic (drive train) is 3 years in the rear view mirror now.
I wish there was more info out there as to what damage the springs can do. If they are truly a noise only hidnerance I could care less at this point. I just do not want to be stranded.

·
Registered
23 Posts
TL;DR: I'm beginning to build a case to send to the Maryland Attorney General Consumer Protection Division to mediate between Honda and affected owners of low-mileage 9th gen Si's (~25k or less) from the precise issue described in this thread.

The backstory: Last year I bought a certified-used 2015 Civic Si coupe with ~8k miles and a clean carfax. A few weeks ago, I noticed it making the exact same noise that is described and shown by video in this thread (page 5 for video). My car currently has a little over 21k miles. I took my car to the Honda dealer I bought it from, and they diagnosed it as needing >$1,000 worth of parts/labor to the clutch system. They also told me that Honda declined to pay for it (citing their scripted response of not covering clutch repairs because of "normal wear and tear"). After calling Honda customer service and speaking with 3 individuals, explaining how many other owners have had the same issue with their low-mileage Si's, they still declined forwarding my case to a case manager for further review.

From combing through this thread, it appears that several owners have described this issue with their car at a similar amount of miles. To me, this strongly indicates a factory-defect in the clutch system of these cars. Something that Honda should be responsible for, and not attributed to normal wear and tear. As we all know as well, clutch systems typically last 50-60k miles before anything should need repaired or replaced.

With this, I'm looking for 9th gen owners with low-mileage cars with this current issue, or 9th gen owners who already covered the repair cost themselves for the precise issue described in this thread. From this I can further build a case with the Maryland Attorney General to show that this is not normal wear and tear. Honda needs to own up to their mistake, and cover the costs of fixing these cars. If you'd like, send me a PM with the details.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my 2013 Civic Si from Lute Riley Honda in Richardson TX in November 2015 with 44,000 miles on it. It was Certified Pre-owned. I paid $870 for the extended warranty because when I said I was worried about the clutch, the finance guy said it would cover it. (Yep, right there you can tell how bright I am, and how this will likely end.) At that time I was unaware of the Civic clutch noise phenomenon. I was just anxious about buying a used Si. Within a month it starting squealing. I went back to the dealer in February, and they said they “could not replicate it long enough to diagnose the cause.” Finally last fall the noise became more consistent, so I took it back. I provided links to the videos and testimonials of folks whose dealers stepped up for them. For those of you whose dealer took care of it for you, I’m jealous! Lute Riley Honda would not.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I bought my 2013 Civic Si from Lute Riley Honda in Richardson TX in November 2015 with 44,000 miles on it. It was Certified Pre-owned. I paid $870 for the extended warranty because when I said I was worried about the clutch, the finance guy said it would cover it. (Yep, right there you can tell how bright I am, and how this will likely end.) At that time I was unaware of the Civic clutch noise phenomenon. I was just anxious about buying a used Si. Within a month it starting squealing. I went back to the dealer in February, and they said they “could not replicate it long enough to diagnose the cause.” Finally last fall the noise became more consistent, so I took it back. I provided links to the videos and testimonials of folks whose dealers stepped up for them. For those of you whose dealer took care of it for you, I’m jealous! Lute Riley Honda would not.
I've heard good things about David Macdavid in Frisco, and have personally had good luck with Honda Denton. However, I haven't had them try to look at this issue.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Before tearing into your clutch please read this recent thread.

Untamed auto! Fixed my car. Clutch noise when moving...

Prior to this thread I had been suspecting loose or broken springs in the clutch plate. Now I have to advise anyone with this symptom to check or replace this tensioner pulley which is dirt cheap.
having this exact issue on my K24 ILX.
Just ordered the idler and tensioner from rockauto for 80 bux.

Will report back if that fixes it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
changed the drive belt tensioner and idler this weekend, got rid of one noise but the clutch noise is still there when you do torqued takeoffs.

will be living with that noise until the clutch fails and is due for replacement.
still bites hard.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Been driving since I was about 12yo on the farm, bought my new civic in 2011. Very proud owner of my sunburst orange si. It was my 4th Honda all manual shifts. Then the Chewbacca noise started. I’m 63yo and never had a bad honda transmission. All of my Honda’s ran forever. Until I bought my 2012 civic si. My 1st new car ever. My next car we’ll be a Toyota.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Been driving since I was about 12yo on the farm, bought my new civic in 2011. Very proud owner of my sunburst orange si. It was my 4th Honda all manual shifts. Then the Chewbacca noise started. I’m 63yo and never had a bad honda transmission. All of my Honda’s ran forever. Until I bought my 2012 civic si. My 1st new car ever. My next car we’ll be a Toyota.
I hear you on the Honda complaints, see them a lot on the forums I follow.
however, the grass insnt greener on the yoyota side.
look up the tsb's on toyotas, they are equally as bad.

I will give toyota credit for honoring defects and customer satisfaction within the warranty period, unlike Honda shafting its customers with manufacturer defects and dodging accountability.

unfortunately, toyotas have fugly styling, cheap interior plastic finishes, they suck to drive, and are soulless boring daily drivers built for the masses.
Honda's were always spirited and fun to drive, and built for people who enjoy driving.
Toyota once was, but that ended in the early 2000's when they put aside everything for profit.

There is a reason Honda is winning F1 races, while Toyota has no race presence, or a sports car division worth mentioning.
demographics!

maybe you should switch to a lexus aka. uber toyota.
Expensive, reliable and nice and comfy to ride into the retirement years.

681 - 693 of 693 Posts