9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having some problems from a stand still throwing it into first sometimes. Like it will go in half way sometimes and I'll have to take it out and throw it back in to get it fully engaged. Sometimes it's smooth going in and sometimes it's crunchy going in. The other gears seem fine. I'm beginning to worry this is the new "3rd gear TSB" we had for the 8th gen SI's. But right after I bought my 2008 SI four years ago I switched the MTF to Amsoil and never had any problems with my gears.

·
Registered
241 Posts
eh, happens on some vehicles where the clutch just doesn't line up perfectly on first push...if it's just first gear, just release the clutch the press it back down again and you'll probably be good to go...my Ford Escape would do this for 1st gear only and I got over 120k miles out of that clutch before selling the vehicle...just make sure it's not a true grind where it sounds like there may be something coming apart in there.

When in doubt, have Honda check it out :)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I haven't had any issues with first gear. The only major issues I've had is with second gear. When I'm at high RPM (full throttle), shifting from one to two often grinds gears, and the clutch is FULLY depressed.

I pray that it's just me not giving the car enough time t "catch up", rather than an issue. My friends and family think I'm nuts for owning another Honda after my 2006 Si was in the shop over 20 times for the third gear bullshit lol...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
eh, happens on some vehicles where the clutch just doesn't line up perfectly on first push...if it's just first gear, just release the clutch the press it back down again and you'll probably be good to go...
Yeah, that's what I end up doing is letting the clutch back out and putting it back into 1st. I have a GSXR too and I'm used to having to roll my bike backwards to get into first or let the clutch out to get into it so this is reminiscent. I just never remember having any problems with 1st in my FA5. All the gears were butter smooth with amsoil MTF.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Mine have difficulty to engage in first if i'm moving even a little bit but i allready ordered AMSoil MTF and see if it changes something! Anyway, the K24's torque is a blessing as i can start in 2nd gear in traffic instead of facing 1st gear clash!! haha

Marko!

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,769 Posts
Mine has gotten smooth after a while. I shift into 1st usually 5 mph or less and it glides smoothly. It used to be chunky but smooth now. I have 11,300 miles on the car.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Agreed! Mine is a lot smoother now then when it was new! :)

Marko!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm at around 2,300 miles. If i'm rolling at all 2-3 mph I can't go into 1st or reverse without hearing a grind. No matter how smooth I try.

When I back into a parking spot I make sure to make a complete stop before shifting into reverse or it grinds...

If i'm slowing for a red light and the light turns green while i'm doing maybe 1-3 mph. I have to shift into 2nd and go or grind it into first.

It is what it is... but paying $24,000 on a brand new car and hearing gears grind blows. I still love this car very much.

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,769 Posts
There is a lockout on reverse to prevent mis-shifts when going to 6th. I don't know when that cuts out.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I think reverse isn't synchronised so gear clash in reverse is moving is normal! And i suspect the 1st only have a single synchro so it should be more prone to gear clash too..!

edit: Exclusive to the Civic Si is a short-throw 6-speed manual transmission. All gears feature synchronizers (triple on 1 and 2, double on 3 and 4, single carbon on 5 and 6) to provide a light and responsive feel. A helical type limited slip differential is also used to improve acceleration and cornering performance.

Marko!

·
Banned
8,333 Posts
Mine has gotten smooth after a while. I shift into 1st usually 5 mph or less and it glides smoothly. It used to be chunky but smooth now. I have 11,300 miles on the car.
high miler! Im under 3500km and its still a little giggly. But it doesn't make any sound its just hard to force it into first when rolling slow. I let go of clutch and re-press it then i'm goldennn :driving::wheee::rockwoot::brock::corngrin:
alright enought games...:eek:fftopic:

·
Registered
214 Posts
yea i got to force it into second and sometimes 3rd. i notice if it's hard to put into gear it doesnt shift 100% smooth. if it pulls in good then it shifts smooth

·
Banned
8,333 Posts
yeh ^^ I love the second of large acceleration between gears! Makes people suprised when they drive with me :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have been experiencing the same issue with second gear. no noise, but it is not anywhere as smooth as the other gears. other gears are so smooth it feels like they are sliding through butter. 2nd however has resistance and grinding feel to it and the clutch is completely depressed to the floor. I'm only just passing 4600 miles and when I take it in for my 5k maintenance pretty soon I will be sure to bring it up.

·
rotartsinimdA
4,050 Posts
I was actually wondering today if anyone on here had this problem I have to be at complete stop to shift to first

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I have the crunchy feeling in 4th gear

Sent from my SGH-I727R using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
336 Posts
yea i got to force it into second. i notice if it's hard to put into gear it doesnt shift 100% smooth. if it pulls in good then it shifts smooth

I have been experiencing the same issue with second gear. no noise, but it is not anywhere as smooth as the other gears. other gears are so smooth it feels like they are sliding through butter. 2nd however has resistance and grinding feel to it and the clutch is completely depressed to the floor.
Agreed. I am having issues going from 1st to 2nd. Sometimes I have issues with 1st but not often. Man.. why are we having all these issues?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Ok everyone lets test something out.

try to shift quickly and see if u get the crunch getting into your gear.

next try to sit on the clutch let the revs drop then try and shift into the gear and tell me what happens.. did u still get the crunch? try it a few times

report back.... i'm running a very complex and scientific experiment here.. the math is very complicated u wouldn't understand so i wont post it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
oh thank god its not just my car, first gear, gotta be almost stopped and slowly let it glide into first, or else she crunches and pops in, once or twice it has done this into 3rd when giving it a little juice. i figured this was just one of those "itll loosen up" things. gonna be watching this thread may switch to amsoil when its due for a change

1 - 20 of 20 Posts