9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Figured I would post this since this was pretty much a self conceived idea that ended up working for $20.

So you want to get more sound out of your intake but don't want to run either a short ram or a CAI. Well, this might be a great balance which is very cheap.

So this is basically a DIY intake mod which will retain the stock air box and upper pipe but it will delete the resonator and you will end up taking out the drop in filter and adding a cone filter to the upper piping.

Advantages:
Cheap
Great intake sound
Butt dyno says it's doing something
Looks OEM
Cone filter is not heat soaking
No hydrolock risk like a CAI
No messing with MAF
It's basically a Takeda Stage 2

Let me show you what this looks like.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive design Automotive fuel system

So as you can see, it sits in front of the radiator fans. There is enough clearance between the battery and the radiator hose to fit this perfectly.

What you need to do:

1. You need to do the intake resonator delete because otherwise the lower piping will obstruct the cone filter. You can look up how to do this there are plenty of guides on this forum.
2. You need to purchase a cone filter which will fit the stock upper piping. I used this one from Amazon and it works well. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082M854HF - any 3 inch cone filter should be fine. I recommend a universal though because the OEM upper pipe is oval shaped not circular so the universal rubber grommets have more ability to bend around it.
3. Remove stock drop in filter and close the airbox. Don't worry as the drop in filter itself does not seal any part of the airbox. It's self sealing without one.
4. Remove the OEM 90 degree upper piping (the one shown in the photo) and connect the cone filter to it. (make sure to tighten the clamp enough so that the oval piping is sealed within the cone filter grommet.
5. Remove your battery and battery tray
6. Position the upper piping (with cone filter attached) as close to where the battery sits and as far away from the radiator hose. There should be just enough clearance to where it will not obstruct the hose.
7. Put the battery back into place. (This will also reset your ECU at the same time)
8. Profit

·
I Need A Vacation
14,712 Posts
You sure? lol

I don't see how this can, in any way, enhance the performance.
Should of just slapped some stickers on it cheaper/easier and also +5HP.

·
Truck? What truck?!
28,121 Posts
You sure? lol

I don't see how this can, in any way, enhance the performance.
I think the main point of this process is
to get more sound out of your intake but don't want to run either a short ram or a CAI.
Isn't the butt dyno completely perceptual? :)

·
Truck? What truck?!
28,121 Posts
Should of just slapped some stickers on it cheaper/easier and also +5HP.
True dat, but the OP's mod is for those who want visual stealth. haha

·
Registered
60 Posts
The cone filter sitting in front of radiator fans = no heat soak lol interesting, the turbulent air from the fans would be an easy no. Just when you think you've seen it all.
The Fans aren't even on past like 40 mph because they would impede or CAUSE TURBULENCE in respect to the air getting rammed through the front of the car once you're going faster than 40 mph...…

AND at a stop or low speed where coolant temps would be getting hot enough to kick the fans on, the filter would be getting MORE air vs stock config....

Don't be so smug BRO

1 - 11 of 11 Posts