9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How "tight" should the AT dipstick be when seated? My son's seems to just fall into the opening. I don't feel a rubber-to-metal snugness, no slight bit of restriction as it goes into the transmission. Do I need a new dipstick?

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,357 Posts
In general, dipsticks should have to be lightly pushed into their final positions. They shouldn't just fall into place, at least in my experience with many cars.

In fact, I'll check my daughter'd '04 EX automatic when she gets home, and report back.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,357 Posts
I just looked, and yes indeed, my daughter's '04 AT dipstick has no resistance when I pulled it out.

Funny that is has the rubber ridges that are supposed to hold it in place snugly.

I'm guessing that over time the rubber has dried out and shrunk just enough to lose its grip. It's in a hot spot down there.

I'm gonna buy another one just because all indications are that it is supposed to be firmly in place.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,357 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry - it's been a while since on been on the site. I did order a new one, and there is a definite difference. I can feel the slight resistance when the stick is fully seated. If you're experiencing what I did (the dipstick merely falling into to filler tube), it's time for a new dipstick.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,357 Posts
Glad you solved the problem. Thanks for reporting back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts