9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to wondering what all of the interior differences were between 2012 and 2013 and was thinking they might change the stock speakers. So I checked the part numbers and for LX they are:
2012: 39120-TR0-A01 SPEAKER ASSY. (17CM-ND) (SINGLE) (PIONEER)
2013: 39120-T2A-A21 SPEAKER ASSY. (17CM) (SINGLE) (PIONEER)

does anybody with a 2013 LX want to take a picture of their OEM speaker to see if there is any difference?

thanks

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
I got to wondering what all of the interior differences were between 2012 and 2013 and was thinking they might change the stock speakers. So I checked the part numbers and for LX they are:
2012: 39120-TR0-A01 SPEAKER ASSY. (17CM-ND) (SINGLE) (PIONEER)
2013: 39120-T2A-A21 SPEAKER ASSY. (17CM) (SINGLE) (PIONEER)

does anybody with a 2013 LX want to take a picture of their OEM speaker to see if there is any difference?

thanks
Y? Are you trying to get better sound?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, better sound without amp, $$$, and too much modification. i have already changed the stock head unit to a pioneer and the little increase in power combined with the 5-way EQ satisfied my need... but if these 2013 speakers are another small upgrade, why not?

·
Registered
26 Posts
2013 speakers are pretty bad. If that was an "upgrade," I shudder to think what the 2012 cars have.

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
yeah, better sound without amp, $$$, and too much modification. i have already changed the stock head unit to a pioneer and the little increase in power combined with the 5-way EQ satisfied my need... but if these 2013 speakers are another small upgrade, why not?
You want an upgrade?without running an amp? Don't need one,for the best bang for your buck get either Memphis Sr or Soundstream sts with stock out put to get far better than anything on the stocks of any model all you need is a minimum of 15 rms and the stock amp puts out 25+/-

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
You want an upgrade?without running an amp? Don't need one,for the best bang for your buck get either Memphis Sr or Soundstream sts with stock out put to get far better than anything on the stocks of any model all you need is a minimum of 15 rms and the stock amp puts out 25+/-

Correction on the non premium it does 10 to15 but aftermarket would still yield better sound and since you added an aftermarket hu you can clean up the frequencies a bit you won't get loud by any means but it will sound better

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

the pioneer i have puts out 14W RMS and i have the LX, so no stock amp

i have read that soundstream isn't the company it used to be and is one of the lower end companies now. the advantage of dropping in a better (if the 2013 speaker is better) stock speaker is that I don't have to mess with speaker wire adapters, mounting adapters, loss of bass from insufficient seal between speaker and door, etc.

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
the pioneer i have puts out 14W RMS and i have the LX, so no stock amp

i have read that soundstream isn't the company it used to be and is one of the lower end companies now. the advantage of dropping in a better (if the 2013 speaker is better) stock speaker is that I don't have to mess with speaker wire adapters, mounting adapters, loss of bass from insufficient seal between speaker and door, etc.
You won't lose bass if you baffle mount em 5 bux for baffles,and Soundstream lower lines do suck but so do jl Memphis re audio etc etc there are 3 car audio factories in the world,China,Korea and Taiwan so pioneer and jl and all other companies are made in the same stamping machines overseas,so almost any car audio companies top lines are the way to go hence I suggested the soundstream tarantulas since put up to a test beat out over 25 top competitors,and in todays market no company is what it used to be,there fairly simple drop in and actually the 12 civic pioneers ate better than the 13 civic as the 12 uses neodymium magnets faster attacks than the the 13 so in essence you'll be downgrading.another solution is add high freq blocks to the mids and add some decent tweets

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
Ill let you in on a secret most companies are either a parent company or owned by someone so generally the market it Saturated with the same thing labelled differently

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ill let you in on a secret most companies are either a parent company or owned by someone so generally the market it Saturated with the same thing labelled differently

yeah, that's what i've found. i used to be pretty big into car audio when i first started driving back in the late '90s and the name brands that were good back then look to be just a name now that other companies bought (mbquart for example).

are these the soundstreams you are talking about: Amazon.com: Soundstream SST6.5 6.5-Inch 2-Way 240-Watt Speakers (Black): Car Electronics

the only thing that worries me is that from what i see on other sites, it says the RMS is 120W (peak of 240W) with these speakers. i do like the price, butyl surround, swivel silk tweeter, and included x-overs though

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
Yeah but I've installed em in civics and accords with far less power rms like I said it won't be loud but it'll be cleaner

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah but I've installed em in civics and accords with far less power rms like I said it won't be loud but it'll be cleaner

i'm fine if it isn't louder than the stock speakers, but i don't want them to be quieter. i can turn the volume up to about 40 on my head unit and it is loud enough. it starts to distort after that, but i am able to turn it up louder (it goes up to 62).

also just saw that the frequency response is 68 - 22,000 Hz. i know this size of speaker has trouble reproducing lower frequencies, but 68 Hz seems pretty high for the low end cut-off. am i wrong?

and what about the 3 ohm impedance? won't that put extra stress on my head unit?

the other aftermarket speaker i was looking at (suggested by crutchfield and great reviews everywhere) was the polk DB651S. it has a lower RMS rating, higher sensitivity, and lower bottom-end frequency response. any comment on those?

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
Polks are good,honestly pretty much anything you install,as long as its sealed and you have no sound leak will be far better than stock even some wal mart Pioneers,none of that will really matter since your using a very low power source,if you were pushing over 50 watts then I'd be worried about the hertz but in reality your not going to hurt your deck or vice versa the 3 ohms won't hurt either remember older JLs? They were always the odd ball running wither 1 or 3 ohm setups as long as you had a decent amp you were fine,BUT for this scenario your not producing enough power/heat to really hurt anything the only thing is you'll distort easier at a higher volume but like I said you won't be any louder just able to produce cleaner with what you currently have thats it.so in reality you can run even some 30 dollar speakers because at so low power you can buy some morel or cdt speakers and they wouldnt sound much better than some 30 dollar coaxis because there's not enough power beign made.

·
Registered
79 Posts
honestly man i think if you are going to take the time to get the panel off then you should take the time to put in real aftermarket speakers. You are spending money on speakers no matter how you look at it and i would honestly say these 2013 speakers are not worth any purchase (outside of obviously getting them already equipped in a new car). I have not had the pleasure of owning a car with a decent stock system like this before but i will tell you even still my old beat up grand am with 2 50$ sets of 6.5" kickers sounds much better than this.

Once you go aftermarket with car audio you never go back!:wink:

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
honestly man i think if you are going to take the time to get the panel off then you should take the time to put in real aftermarket speakers. You are spending money on speakers no matter how you look at it and i would honestly say these 2013 speakers are not worth any purchase (outside of obviously getting them already equipped in a new car). I have not had the pleasure of owning a car with a decent stock system like this before but i will tell you even still my old beat up grand am with 2 50$ sets of 6.5" kickers sounds much better than this.

Once you go aftermarket with car audio you never go back!:wink:
True

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
You won't lose bass if you baffle mount em 5 bux for baffles.

Baffle Mount? Are you saying that if I place Crutchfield XTC 6.5" baffles on the bottom side of the rear deck I will hear the bass better? Does this jeopardize the voice, highs and mids?

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
Baffle Mount? Are you saying that if I place Crutchfield XTC 6.5" baffles on the bottom side of the rear deck I will hear the bass better? Does this jeopardize the voice, highs and mids?
Yes those are the inexpensive alternative but those are baffles and help and in fact they will make your speakers sound far better.than if you just stick it in the hole with screws.but you need the right size for the speaker unless you stuffed 6.5s in the rear deck

·
Registered
597 Posts
Really? They are about like 0.1 cu-ft when the driver sits in there. I wish they don't kill all midbass if you use those tiny baffles.

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
Really? They are about like 0.1 cu-ft when the driver sits in there. I wish they don't kill all midbass if you use those tiny baffles.
Its a baffle for the mids the baffle will help the mids as they'll help tighten up the sound giving a better listening headspace.same exact thing they use on boat towers that can be clearly heard across the lake with a good response.
Boat tower speakers are mounted in a tightly sealed container Generally .15 to .25 cu ft and with the rms power they sound insane.
If you could isolate a door speaker in a car and baffle mount it right you could get a cleaner louder speaker.harder in cars but doable

1 - 20 of 24 Posts