9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I apologize that my first post is a question. Usually try to contribute before asking, but I know very little about the Civics.

With that said, I negotiated the remote start from Honda be installed on my Civic as part of the deal. I did not realize it would only be 1 remote and then you have to shutoff the car to unlock your doors. I've read and read and read, and I am not interested in debating if this is a big deal or not. The only thing I'm trying to verify is that there has not been a workaround found for that yet. Does anyone know if there are any tricks to be able to unlock the doors, with the car running via the remote start system?

Thank you

·
Premium Member
8,538 Posts
Dumb question, but do you also have a keyfob too? If so, just start the car with the remote start, then use the keyfob to unlock the doors. Or just get a big dog and don't ever lock your doors!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
First, I apologize that my first post is a question. Usually try to contribute before asking, but I know very little about the Civics.

With that said, I negotiated the remote start from Honda be installed on my Civic as part of the deal. I did not realize it would only be 1 remote and then you have to shutoff the car to unlock your doors. I've read and read and read, and I am not interested in debating if this is a big deal or not. The only thing I'm trying to verify is that there has not been a workaround found for that yet. Does anyone know if there are any tricks to be able to unlock the doors, with the car running via the remote start system?

Thank you

Please dont be offended OP, Im not sure how the OEM autostart works but its overpriced and very unpractical. It would be much easier to get an aftermarket one that has all the accessories and features like the windows, A/C adjust, multi tilt/impact sensors etc. I would honest say your chances to find a firmware/flash/update for the oem autostart is very very slim.

Dumb question, but do you also have a keyfob too? If so, just start the car with the remote start, then use the keyfob to unlock the doors. Or just get a big dog and don't ever lock your doors!
Only issue is if it sets the alarm when the car autostarts then it would go off if he uses the keys....

·
Registered
249 Posts
what aftermarket remote start is good and going to talk to the CAN that will allow me to operate the clomate control and such.. I havent see nany for the 9th gen that can operate windows / locks / climate control without hacking the wiring to pieces installing all kinds of modules directly into the wiring...
-Christopher

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have the keyfob, but unfortunately it does not work that way. When the remote start is running...

1. Buttons on the keyfob are disabled and/or ignored. To include the trunk release.
2. When you insert the key and unlock the door, the car shuts down.

Please dont be offended OP, Im not sure how the OEM autostart works but its overpriced and very unpractical. It would be much easier to get an aftermarket one that has all the accessories and features like the windows, A/C adjust, multi tilt/impact sensors etc. I would honest say your chances to find a firmware/flash/update for the oem autostart is very very slim.

Only issue is if it sets the alarm when the car autostarts then it would go off if he uses the keys....
I appreciate your pleasantness in explaining that the factory one blows. :) Trust me, I'm not offended. The story is that I had it thrown in and did not do any research on the Honda remote start system. Like others, I had numerous after market ones w/alarms and such. I just never had a nice factory one, so to sweeten my deal I asked them to throw that in and they agreed. (like 900ish MSRP, guessing really only 300ish cost w/labor)

Anyway, I never once thought they'd operate in such a pathetic manner. It still meets the basic needs, but I feel a little goofy with associates and it's a key chain juggle to turn the car off and unlock the doors..etc.

As far as I know, there is no work around as well. I've not studied this issue much further than some google searches and I realize going to the dealer is a waste of time. In my situation, I'll use the factory version since it was no cost. However, I hope people see these threads (numerous other there about the problem, but not specifically how to work around it---if there is anyway to do this..) and opt to have it done elsewhere.

I'm not giving up, just takes time. Do we think it's all controlled via the auto start main unit - and nothing mechanical?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I can't believe it works like that! I guess Honda is being over safe as usual. I'm sure to prevent lawsuits for mis- operation. I heard its over $500. Man that is rediculas. Of course with the si it can't be used so oh well.it's cool but I don't like the idea of just using the e- brake only.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
761 Posts
Pretty sure you're stuck! I remember the Acura one they offered for the TL was the exact same way, yeah Honda playing it way too safe on that one, so I passed on it!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
12 Posts
Much thanks to everyone who posted on this one!!! I was just about to go get a Honda remote start installed. Now I guess I will shop around and see where I can find one that is better than the Honda remote start!!!! THANKS!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
having the same problem but did not purchase it from honda.
as soon as the engine starts via remote start all the buttons on my factory keyfob wont work.
but once i shut the engine down the buttons on my keyfob work again.

any help please :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
mine is a 2way remote start called (polar start). it suck that i have to remotely open the doors at the keyfob before activating the remote starters auto ignition cause once it starts the factory keyfob renders useless.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You need to use the door unlock on the remote starter. Once the engine is started, the factory key fob is disabled, but the electric unlock button hardwired still functions. Wire the remote starter's unlock to this wire.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not sure how that would work aaronyarrow. It would SEEM, that if one did this the car would just unlock or just unlock when remote start engages. Generally, I would not want the car to be unlocked until told to do so. With that said, I'm not aware of any functionality either on the remote start control to allow that specific behavior.

I did go buy another Honda recently and talked with the sales rep about it. He was new when I bought my Civic and also concurred that other customers don't care for it. He's advising them of this short-coming or feature, but it still sucks there is not a sure fire solution for the rest of us.

·
Boston...we will not forget!!!!
1,246 Posts
on my remote start, its just one button on the remote. press it once, and car starts. Factory remote on my key now does nothing when the engine is running. Thats normal. To unlock my doors i just press the remote start button quickly once. and it unlocks all of my doors.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I would think that most remote start have the 2 way with unlock features which the module enables the user to do so. Unless its a really cheap remote start system.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Resurrecting this thread. I have a 2012 LX purchased used from a dealer with 7000 miles on it.
I had a Avital 4103 one way remote start professionally installed. At first it would start, but after a minute it would shut off like the immobilizer kicked in but no dash indication of immobilizer activation. The remote start would try again, and it would start, but then go through the same cycle. I took it back and they "changed a faulty module". Then it would sometimes work normally; sometimes start but activate the OEM panic mode, and sometimes start and activate the immobilizer with the dash indication. When the remote start tried again, the activated immobilizer wouldn't allow start. I took it back to the shop and they put in a whole new system of the same brand and model. Now it works properly most of the time, but still occasionally activates the immobilizer with dash indication. The shop claims to have carefully reviewed the installation and found no problems, and the remote start manufacturers tech line thinks it should work.
Does anyone else have this Avital 4103 that works normally?
What brand of remote start are others using with no immobilizer problems?
Thanks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts