9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving my hybrid since Sep, already have about 4,000 miles, gone over 500 miles with 2 fule cells remiaining...
Any other Civic hybrid drivers want to share thier MPG?

Attachments

·
Registered
896 Posts
Driving my hybrid since Sep, already have about 4,000 miles, gone over 500 miles with 2 fule cells remiaining...
Thats awesome mileage. If I had the money to get the Hybrid I would have. Thanks for posting a pic of the i-mid after actually driving it. Most people take pics of it after 15 miles saying look how high my mileage is. lol

·
Registered
160 Posts
so what your picture is saying is, 2 bars get you less than a gallon's worth of gas?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how do you get the i-MID to show both mileage and range?

Mine is either/or.
Really? I can change these options in the menu button from the steering wheel, and in addition I can choose 'Average speed' or 'Average time' instead of range. What model Civic do you have?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
205 Posts
Funny on a 30 mile test at 55mph on flat terrain with no stops or change in speed my EX got 51, so the hybrid differences did work. Great MPG.

·
Registered
14 Posts
another honda civic hybrid driver here, and new to this forum. i'm only 800 miles into my car, and haven't really gotten a consistent commute going since it's the holidays, so i've only been averaging about 44mpg. the hybrid is a totally different drive which i'm still getting used to, so hopefully that number will go up and up! i'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
another honda civic hybrid driver here, and new to this forum. i'm only 800 miles into my car, and haven't really gotten a consistent commute going since it's the holidays, so i've only been averaging about 44mpg. the hybrid is a totally different drive which i'm still getting used to, so hopefully that number will go up and up! i'll keep you posted!
Welcome to the forum! Nice to hear from, what I know, the only other hybrid driver here! Lol I was trying to tell people that driving the Civic hybrid is totally different experience than non hybrid Civics (I was amazed at the difference when I test drove Civic EX to compare) but its really not so easy to explain - you have to drive one! I enjoy the ride and the MPG and all the extra features that Honda added to the hybrids that you can't find on other models... I found out that I got better gas mileage as I drove the car longer, Probably because the car is doing a good job on training you to save MPGs :)

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
14 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Nice to hear from, what I know, the only other hybrid driver here! Lol I was trying to tell people that driving the Civic hybrid is totally different experience than non hybrid Civics (I was amazed at the difference when I test drove Civic EX to compare) but its really not so easy to explain - you have to drive one! I enjoy the ride and the MPG and all the extra features that Honda added to the hybrids that you can't find on other models... I found out that I got better gas mileage as I drove the car longer, Probably because the car is doing a good job on training you to save MPGs :)

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Thanks! Yeah, it's amazing how there are virtually no forums of the Honda Civic Hybrid (and absolutely nothing on the 2012 Civic Hybrid) on the web. Made it really difficult for me to make a decision between this and the Prius, but the Prius is just so darn ugly inside. I was excited to see at least one HCH driver here :eusa_dance:

The drive is indeed different. Other than the obvious engine shut-off when you come to a complete stop, there's a slight 0.5 second lag for the engine to start up before you can step on the gas (so you have to time when you release your brake pedal if you want to quickly move from a stop light). But what's weirder for me is the that as soon as you release your foot off the gas, the electric motor starts charging and gives resistance to the transmission. So while in a regular Civic (which my wife has), the car would just coast when you release the gas pedal, on the Hybrid it feels something equivalent to going into a lower gear and so the car actually slows down a little bit rather than coast. It's almost as if you're playing a sort of tug-of-war between the gas motor and electric motor. It's not a worse experience, just different.

On a side note, I just got done installing an amp, new front speakers, and a powered subwoofer in the trunk of my hybrid, which much thanks to posters on this forum in the DIY section. I've discovered, though, that the thick lithium ion battery pack between the back seat and trunk seems to be dampening my subwoofer. Just another noticeable difference with the hybrid.

·
Registered
14 Posts
awesome on the HF janeylove :)

so i have an update with my gas mileage on my hybrid. it turns out that my tires were way underinflated (~28 psi). with that, i was getting average 48 mpg on my 30 minute commute to work, and 46 on my commute back. i inflated the tires up to 33 psi, and my mileage went up to 55 mpg to work, and 50 on the way back, so i'm now getting what most other hybrid owners are reporting. i'm curious to see what the numbers are bumping it up even higher. my wife's civic (a regular EX, not a hybrid) was also well underinflated at ~28 psi, so i'm hoping her gas mileage will tick up a bit too.

anyway, it feels good to be in the 50s :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
So far, after 10,000 miles on my 2012 hybrid, the best tank I have had is 50.5 mpg. But I am a "spirited" driver...so no complaints from me.

(to be honest, the best extended drive milage I have ever had was 78.7 mpg after exactly 78.7 miles of driving...so only one gallon of gas burned on that trip...the trick is, I started at over a 5000 foot elevation and drive to the valley that was about 450 feet in elevation. The first 20 miles of it my imid said I was getting 199.9 mpg. Haha)

·
Registered
9 Posts
i'm curious to see what the numbers are bumping it up even higher.
I don't have a Civic but drive a 2000 Insight, tire pressures make a big difference on my car, I tried going to the max inflation marked on the tire and that helped a bunch (44psi) then I tried 60psi and wow! I'm not advising you to 60 but maybe somewhere closer to the max inflation vulcanized on the sidewall.

·
Registered
43 Posts
A word of caution about over inflating the tires to the extreme. It's really best to keep it within psi specs. I've read somebody was killed when trying to over inflate the tire.

So if tire says 32psi then over inflating it to 36psi should be ok but not 60 or even 50.

·
rotartsinimdA
4,050 Posts
I don't have a Civic but drive a 2000 Insight, tire pressures make a big difference on my car, I tried going to the max inflation marked on the tire and that helped a bunch (44psi) then I tried 60psi and wow! I'm not advising you to 60 but maybe somewhere closer to the max inflation vulcanized on the sidewall.
That is extremely dangerous mate o_O, if you inflated to max PSI of 44 and then overinflated 16 PSI over that, you coulda done some serious damage to yourself

·
Registered
303 Posts
That is extremely dangerous mate o_O, if you inflated to max PSI of 44 and then overinflated 16 PSI over that, you coulda done some serious damage to yourself
Yea. 60psi is way too much.

my Turanzas I found out are 91v, so the specs say they take 51psi cold, but I won't keep them at over 35psi. That's not too hard and not too soft.

Use this site to search your tires

Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels

it will tell you the specs. Don't inflate over the limit. It's going to blow up on the highway and you could be in big trouble.

·
Registered
49 Posts
How do you guys get such good mileage? I have a 2013 hybrid that is now at 900 miles. My average for the 900 miles is 45 mpg...and I drive with Econ on all the time and always look at the instant mpg meter to try to keep it as high as possible. I am not a spirited driver at all. The second tank (fill-up), I was able to get 46-47 mpg. But I can't come close to 50 mpg much less 54! How can you guys get 50 mpg easy?

My AC and fan and heater are 95% of the time turned off too. And it's pretty nice weather in Socal right now...60-80 degrees F. I only keep my radio on and have a small charger for my phone plugged in.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts