9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My problem:
About a month ago I bought a new 2012 Civic Hybrid leftover. Before it even had 100 miles on the odometer four warning indicators came on while I was driving down the highway: check brake system, check VSA system, check hill start assist system, and check power steering system. These indicators scroll continuously. The car now has a little less than 1000 miles on it and this issue has cropped up four times. Despite the warnings the car seems to perform normally when this happens. The problem is intermittent.

What I've done about it so far:
The first time this happened I checked on the net after reaching my destination to see if someone else had a similar issue. I found a website that suggested that most often this is due to a loose connection at the battery, although it didn't say which battery. I didn't have any hand tools with me at the time so I just popped the hood and pulled on the wires to the battery to see if anything was loose. None of them seemed to be. On restarting the car all but the check brake system warnings were off. when I got home I tightened the connections to the battery post and restarted the car. No warning lights came on.

The next day I drove the car again and at about 15 miles away from home, just like the first time, all four warnings came on again. When i got to my destination I had another look under the hood, moved the wires around and then loosened and re-tightened the battery clamps. There were no problems at all on the way home again (about 35 miles).

The next day the same thing happened with the four warnings. I called the dealer and they came and towed the car back to their shop. They kept the car for two days, driving it frequently to try to reproduce the problem but I was told that they were unable to. (The warnings were on the last time I shut it off- apparently they were off when the shop started it up later that day.) When I picked the car up on the third day I asked the service manager if he had checked the wires for continuity and he said they didn't - they just "wiggled them around" and "checked" all of the clamps and connections, whatever that means. He also told me that since the computer in the car had not "thrown any codes" there was nothing more they could do to diagnose the problem. We got no satisfactory answer, as a matter of fact we got no answer at all, when my wife asked what if the problem was in the computer itself. Instead we were told to drive the car and if the problem came back we should call them and they'd pick it up and have another look at it. This was cold comfort for somebody who just bought a brand new car and only had it for a week.

For about a week and a half I drove the car back and forth to work (about 70 miles total) with no problems until yesterday when the problem returned. This time, before I shut the car off I took photos of the warning messages and of the small warning lights next to the tachometer, to show the mechanic at the dealer that I wasn't making this stuff up. Also, to see if the warnings would still be on if the car was towed I restarted the car. They were. I shut the car off and restarted it again and this time they were off. After work I drove the car and everything was normal - no warnings.

When I got home my wife told me she had done a search for this problem on her own and found this website and these forums. And although she didn't find mention of the exact same problem she did find other owners with similar experiences.

Conclusion:
It would seem that the only cure for this problem is to shut the car off and restart it again?

The service tech at the dealership hinted that, but didn't outright say, he was aware of this kind of thing happening because of a loose ground wire under the hood. Apparently there hasn't been any service bulletins or other help from Honda about this. The service techs at the dealership seem to be flying blind.

I am by no means a qualified car mechanic but as someone who used to work on cars (back in the day when cars had carburetors) and who is now in charge of the computer system at my workplace this looks to me like a problem with the car's computer rather than a fault in the wiring.

If anybody else has encountered this problem I'd sure like to hear about it, especially if they've found a fix for it. I'm seriously thinking about returning the car if this problem can't be solved. Although I've been assured that the car is safe to drive when this happens I don't think I should have to put up with this kind of issue from a brand new car......

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey I had this problem before on my 2013 LX. I'd installed a garage door opener button in one of the empty slots to the left of the steering wheel. The button which I chose has a blue LED lit circle around it so I wired it up to a random 12V fuse in the under steering wheel box and grounded it to a metal bolt in the same general location. When I turned on my car I had the exact same warnings you are having. It seems that if you ground anything to that exposed metal bolt that you'll get errors (but they aren't real, for example power steering was working just fine). Have you done any aftermarket mods at all involving electrical work? I think this car is really sensitive to where you ground stuff or draw power from. If not you might have a loose connection somewhere throwing the error.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts