9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test drove one and was very impressed. The sales guy did not know the Automatic S and L position on the shifter.

What purpose are those position serve?

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
What.. the sales guy didn't know that? lol S = second gear, L = low gear..

It's similar to when you're in a manual transmission car. Lower gears give higher acceleration capabilities but lower speed. Some people like to use second when they're in stop and go traffic.

Although I never use either in my current automatic, L is good for descending hills and whatever, because of higher engine braking. Also if you ever need to keep revs high in your auto these are basically the only way.

KEEP IN MIND THOUGH, the hybrid is CVT, so those are not exactly the same, so they work a bit differently. Putting the car in S forces a recharge. Basically they emulate what a 1st and 2nd gear is on a regular transmission

This is from another site:
As you noticed already, the S and the L settings have a direct impact on the engine RPM which will almost always be higher when the settings are on.

The other thing you'll notice is that the car seems more "willing" and more "powerful" while making a bit more noise. Of course, the lesser the speed the lower the noise so you'll really want to reserve those settings for speeds below 80km/h.
One good side effect of using S or L is that the amount of electric assist is somewhat minimized and easier to control. This can be very good as a forced regen mid-way through the climb is worth avoiding particularly when your SoC is low or the grades are steep and long.
One bad side effect of S and L - especially if used often- is that RPMS will be higher and that means you'll consume more fuel.So that is why we suggest you use the S and L settings strategically and only when a situation calls for it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Talon I was just thinking the same thing and then a truck rolled in with one on it along with a coupe. Were gonna be able to order more cars in a week or so. I think we will be able to order si s

·
Registered
139 Posts
Test drove one and was very impressed. The sales guy did not know the Automatic S and L position on the shifter.

What purpose are those position serve?

Where is this? Mine doesn't get built until 6/10 and our first and only coupe is supposed to arrive sometime this week.

·
I Like Grits
9,655 Posts

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,762 Posts
Hmmm. Interesting one to bring back shimp. Not many hybrid folks on here but this is interesting.

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,762 Posts
Dunno. I'll pass it along to bluestar.

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,762 Posts
...more like pass it on to the gang of mods and admins...

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,762 Posts
Absolutely terrible now that juando290 posted about his hybrid.

·
I Like Grits
9,655 Posts
Absolutely terrible now that juando290 posted about his hybrid.
no biggie, there are several hundred hybrid posts on 9th, but like most topics, they are scattered thru-out every forum within 9th

·
Registered
140 Posts
S range (I always tell my customers it is sport mode) does give different throttle response. It actually shaves time off acceleration, but kills gas milage. L is used primarily as an engine brake or climbing a very steep hill at lower speeds.

·
Registered
140 Posts
And yes...very scattered. Btw, yesterday is not the first time I have posted about my hybrid. You never saw my topic where I posted my YouTube video of reaching 111mph? Haha

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,762 Posts
And yes...very scattered. Btw, yesterday is not the first time I have posted about my hybrid. You never saw my topic where I posted my YouTube video of reaching 111mph? Haha
I saw those. Didn't make the connection.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts