9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have a 2012 automatic Honda Civic LX with the stock 1.8L engine in it. I had a K&N ram-air intake installed into it, as well as a Takeda axle-back exhaust installed. Each part was marked as specifically made for my model vehicle. The car sounds amazing, but has encountered many problems. Since these supposed upgrades, my car bogs down a lot, will stall out at intersections, and hiccups at high speed. Sometimes I'll feel that rich VTEC pull, but rarely ever. The car seemed to have lost HP from these upgrades, but randomly will pick up and take off like it should. Now what the mechanic tells me is that the air flow I achieve through these mods is too much for the amount of fuel that is going to the engine. He said I need to have my car tuned, but apparently they do not sell a tuner for the 2012 Civic LX. He said I may need a new MAP sensor, bigger fuel pump, or bigger injectors. This seems idiotic to me, as sometimes my car does perform as it should. I would like to prevent him ripping me off and installing unnecessary parts. Has anyone else encountered these problems or have any solutions? Tuning it seems optimal, because I can change the air/fuel ratio that way, but I am having trouble finding a tuner that matches. I found one for the 2011 Civic LX 1.8L (same engine) and was hoping this might be compatible. Not sure if it is. Any help would be appreciated.

-DP

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Hello everyone,

I have a 2012 automatic Honda Civic LX with the stock 1.8L engine in it. I had a K&N ram-air intake installed into it, as well as a Takeda axle-back exhaust installed. Each part was marked as specifically made for my model vehicle. The car sounds amazing, but has encountered many problems. Since these supposed upgrades, my car bogs down a lot, will stall out at intersections, and hiccups at high speed. Sometimes I'll feel that rich VTEC pull, but rarely ever. The car seemed to have lost HP from these upgrades, but randomly will pick up and take off like it should. Now what the mechanic tells me is that the air flow I achieve through these mods is too much for the amount of fuel that is going to the engine. He said I need to have my car tuned, but apparently they do not sell a tuner for the 2012 Civic LX. He said I may need a new MAP sensor, bigger fuel pump, or bigger injectors. This seems idiotic to me, as sometimes my car does perform as it should. I would like to prevent him ripping me off and installing unnecessary parts. Has anyone else encountered these problems or have any solutions? Tuning it seems optimal, because I can change the air/fuel ratio that way, but I am having trouble finding a tuner that matches. I found one for the 2011 Civic LX 1.8L (same engine) and was hoping this might be compatible. Not sure if it is. Any help would be appreciated.

-DP
I am not trying sound like an ass but use the search before asking these questions. There is flashpro for the 2006 to 2011 civic 1.8 liter but there is no flashpro for the 2012 to current 1.8 liter because the ecu is different from the previous generation so flashpro wont work with the new ones, and as far as what people have found there is no tuner for the 2012 to current civic 1.8 liter

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
You should put OEM air box intake back for now. Your car will run better with it. Just wait until tuning solution become available.
IMHO, I have AFE air box intake and so far never have this problem. Cross fingers :) I have catback system installed also.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,521 Posts
Hello everyone,

-DP
Welcome to 9th gen, daniel.

Your issues have all been discussed here at length. Some answers have already been provided in this thread.

One thing that made me giggle a little, though, was

Sometimes I'll feel that rich VTEC pull, but rarely ever
R18 vtec is for economy, as opposed to the K24, which is performance. I doubt you felt
a rich VTEC pull
<hehehe>, but hey, ya never know.

Put your stock airbox back in, get a K&N drop-in filter, and call it a day, cuz there ain't no forthcoming FP for our cars.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Yeah, like everyone else has stated, put back on your factory intake. The R18 is a economy car, there is no performance benefit to it. No one has a turning solution available, Hondata at this time has no plans of making a tuning solution for it.

We with the SI's have s similar problem but we have tuning. However, our problem is that really to benefit from any aftermarket part we have to be tuned for the car to run properly and to get the most out of the part.

The exhaust isn't going to hurt anything, you can leave that on, but I would take off the intake and put back on the factory intake and do Scotty's suggestion of the K&N drop in filter.

Also, there is no "VTEC Pull" from the R18, its VTEC like Scotty said is for fuel economy. After driving the VTEC puts it into a range where it maximizes fuel economy. The SI is what has "VTEC Pull" What you are probably feeling or hearing is your engine speed and hitting max torque around 4400 RPM's.

Save your money on parts and what-not for your car. Dress it up with cosmetic mods if you want, or save your money and when it is economically feasible for you, trade it in and get the SI.

Reactions: scottyrocks

·
Registered
229 Posts
There's no tuning. Your CAI is hurting you. Leave stock airbox on, without tune, and regardless of the car, stock intake is proven to be best.

Oh yeah, and we have no VTEC. Especially with single cams.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate everyone's advice and actually am getting the factory intake re-installed today... Not sure what to do with my aftermarket one, though :( Lol yeah I am a total nerd (AutoCad professional) and have no experience with cars whatsoever. I bought the LX following in the footsteps of my siblings, but knowing me, this was probably a mistake. Hope to trade it in one day for something a little bit more appropriate to my driving habits.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Manual transmission LX is like night and day faster compare to automatic. That's 21 whp different. At the same time, it's fuel efficient car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts