9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Looking for guidance on how to replace the idler pulley on my 2012 Civic LX w/ the 1.8L engine. When I replaced the serpentine belt tensioner I spun the idler and it didn't seem very smooth and when the engine is running it sounds like it makes a rough sanding sound.

I can't seem to get enough clearance to remove the idler pulley due to the frame rail which makes me cautious of being able to torque it correctly with a torque wrench.

Would appreciate any advice and also a DIY if available. I was not able to find on this forum or on google/youtube, I'm getting a lot of hits for the Si which seems easy since its up top/front of that engine.

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
383 Posts
IIRC you have to take the water pump pulley bolts off... I used a wrench, and jammed a bolt into the pulley to stop it from spinning.

the tensioner is held on with a hex bolt at the bottom, if you're changing that you only get one shot not to strip it.
so make sure you have a quality tool, and a decent impact preferably not electric with gear reduction.

page 5336

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IIRC you have to take the water pump pulley bolts off... I used a wrench, and jammed a bolt into the pulley to stop it from spinning.

the tensioner is held on with a hex bolt at the bottom, if you're changing that you only get one shot not to strip it.
so make sure you have a quality tool, and a decent impact preferably not electric with gear reduction.
Appreciate the reply and manual for torque specs! To clarify I'm trying to replace the idler pulley. The water pump pulley removal I believe is just for the belt tensioner?

The issue I'm running into is with accessing the bolt to pull off the idler pulley since it's so close to the frame rail.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Appreciate the reply and manual for torque specs! To clarify I'm trying to replace the idler pulley. The water pump pulley removal I believe is just for the belt tensioner?

The issue I'm running into is with accessing the bolt to pull off the idler pulley since it's so close to the frame rail.
the R18 is an assembly... the K24 has an idler and an auto tensioner.

if you want to change the pulley on the auto tensioner on the vehicle, you likely will still need to remove the water pump pulley to get access to it along with some some specialty tools, otherwise the whole thing has to come off to service it more easily.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the R18 is an assembly... the K24 has an idler and an auto tensioner.

if you want to change the pulley on the auto tensioner on the vehicle, you likely will still need to remove the water pump pulley to get access to it along with some some specialty tools, otherwise the whole thing has to come off to service it more easily.
I think there may be confusion on exactly which pulley I'm having issues with. It's this one: 31190-R0A-005 - Honda Parts Now

That idler pulley is completely separate from the belt tensioner, and having trouble accessing the bolt to remove because of the frame rail.

·
Registered
383 Posts
ahhh.... got it!

you're talking about the idler at the back.

That one is easy compared to the auto tensioner.
use a ratchet wrench, once the bolt is loose you remove the bolt and pulley together, same for install.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts