9th Gen Civic Forum banner

2012 Civic LX - Installing amp and speakers

21K views 32 replies 8 participants last post by  Bobshur 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

First off, Happy Thanksgiving!!

A week ago, I traded in me '05 Impala for a new 2012 Civic LX. So far, I love it and almost everything about it. My only real complaint so far is the sound quality, or lack thereof. I'm not a huge audio fanatic, but I do like my music. In my Impala, I had an aftermarket stereo, but all the speakers were stock. It was nothing special, but sounded decent.

With my Civic, I was hoping to keep the stock head unit, but was thinking of replacing the speakers. I'm assuming that if I replace the speakers, I'd also need to install an amp? I've never install any audio equipment in a car before, except for changing out the head unit. Is replacing the speakers and adding an amp a difficult task in this car? Also, I have the extended warranty on my car. Will doing any of this work myself void the warranty?

Thanks for the help!!

#3 ·
hi lost Amish and welcum to 9th!!! Happy Thanksgiving to u and your family :)
lots of stereo folx here, they will help...if they r in bed tonite, bump ur thread tomorrow....holidays and many are traveling..

#4 ·
Thanks Digger.

I've noticed on the forum here that I am not the only one with this predicament. Can it do any harm to upgrade the speakers without upgrading the amp? I was thinking about just going with new speakers at first, and upgrading an amp if I'm still unhappy with the sound quality.

#5 ·
you wouldnt really want to replace the speakers without doing an amp as well. i have yet to look in to the civics stuff but i wired my grand am myself and maybe 5 of my friends cars and im looking in to doing my civic soon, i miss my type r. but a word to the wise crutchfield is nice to learn what you want but buy your stuff at a local store say best buy (not just because i work there but if something goes wrong you dont need to send it out to fix it). and keep in mind a system is as good as its weakest part.

Reactions: Digger
#11 · (Edited)
So I think I have finally settled on these speakers....
Amazon.com: Polk Audio DB651s Slim-Mount 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers (Pair): Car Electronics

with this amp.
Amazon.com: Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 Punch BRT 300-Watt Ultra Compact 4-Channel Amplifier: Car Electronics

That amp has high level inputs, so I'm assuming that means I can run the wires straight from the stock HU, into the amp, then from the amp to the speakers?
Also, I am planning on installing the speakers first, then the amp at a later date for two reasons:
1) It's easier on the wallet.
2) I want to be able to hear how much of a difference the amp actually makes when coupled with good speakers. (Changing one variable at a time, as opposed to changing two variables at once)

Anyone think this is a bad idea, or have any better suggestions? Also, would it be better to do the amp first, then the speakers?

#12 ·
Get the Polk dxi 650s. There a better speaker. I have them in my si, mount the connections towards the front in the rear. You will need ring adapters for the front. I also suggest buying connectors to keep it clean . Mine sounded great even with factory amp.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#13 ·
Thanks for the suggestions Bobshur. I managed to order some speakers which should be here tomorrow. I'm hoping to be able to install them on Sunday. I'm going to try to take some pictures and write up a detailed DIY article as well. Not making any promises though.

As far as the amp goes, I was thinking about going with the one I had mentioned in a previous post, the Rockford Fosgate PRB 300x4. That will power each speaker with 75watts RMS and it even has speaker level inputs.
If I do get that amp, to wire the speakers to it, would I need to cut the wires from the stock HU wire harness, run them into the amp, then run wires from the amp to the speakers? Assuming that is true, any recommendations as to where to install the amp? I hate the idea of running 8 wires from the HU to the amp in the trunk, then 8 more wires from the trunk back to the HU.

#14 ·
Yea it's where I installed mine,on the back of the seat drivers side. Didn't really have another option because if the size( pa 660). I'm adding the lcq-1 in the other seat back, I'm going to fabricate a steel bar to tie the 2 seats together. I can't wait to get the eq installed, it's the last thing next to tweeters for now.

#31 ·
Someone may have answered this, but what you mention is exactly what I did. Just get the regular harness for an aftermarket stereo and also get a 'reverse harness'. Then you just connect the two harnesses, tap in where necessary and plug in the ends. Like you say, cut up the harness but leave the stock wiring completely untouched!

#16 ·
Remember you need a power cable ran too.

#17 ·
I've seen a handful of DIYs on this site about running the power wire. That part I'm not too concerned about. I was thinking though.... The amp I am interested in is only 6x9. I wonder if I can squeeze that under the dash somewhere. Maybe behind the fuse panel to the left of the pedals?

#18 ·
I was talking to a friend of mine earlier tonight about removing the door panel, and he said to be careful about breaking off the clips which hold it on. Is this a valid concern? How easy/difficult is it to break off those clips? If any do get broken, are they easy to replace? Also, any tips ob removing the door panel without breaking the clips?

Thanks!

#19 · (Edited)
I was talking to a friend of mine earlier tonight about removing the door panel, and he said to be careful about breaking off the clips which hold it on. Is this a valid concern? How easy/difficult is it to break off those clips? If any do get broken, are they easy to replace? Also, any tips ob removing the door panel without breaking the clips?Thanks!
Door panels: http://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/au...-speaker-replacement-post40312.html#post40312

This will help you with tweeters: http://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/au...placement-front-door-speaker-replacement.html

More on Tweeters: http://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/audio-video-navigation/10951-simple-audio-upgrade-3.html#post164306

Reactions: bill
#21 ·
Managed to install the speakers today. Had a few hiccups getting the paneling off (particularly in the rear) but other than that it went fine. With just the stock head unit and no amp, the highs are noticeably clearer, but there is almost no bass. I was planning on going with a 4 channel amp, but now I'm almost wondering if I should go with a 5 channel and add a sub at some point. Would it be better to put in a 5-channel amp now and then install a sub at a later time, or put in a 4 channel amp now and then add another amp with a sub later?

#22 · (Edited)
I am going with the Infinity Basslink which is a self powered sub (amp and sub are one) and i went with the JBL GTO-504EZ 4channel amp which has bare wire to RCA adapters and doesn't look like it will require a line out converter. $500 total all speakers sub and amp.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#23 ·
I think that's a good idea. I thinking I could use a heavier gauge wire to install the 4 channel amp in the trunk, then just split it and get a amp/sub combo at a later date and use the same power and ground wires. How difficult will it be to wire the front speakers from the trunk?

#33 ·
I had 4 gauge ran to the back and put in a splitter,works great!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#24 ·
Is it even possible to split one set of power and ground wires to power to separate amps?

I can't answer your wiring question because I've never done it, I'm sure it's not difficult. It might be a pain in the ass, but I imagine there's a clear way to do it.

#26 ·
Nice post dude, thanks for sharing that with me.

Sent from my MB865 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#27 ·
I mounted my basslink and that's as far as I got. I started looking at the firewall and decided maybe I'd like to retain some sanity. I might end up aying to get this and my amp installed.

#28 ·
Lol. I'm kind of in the same boat. As much as I hate the idea of spending over $100 to have someone else work on my car, I really hate the idea of screwing something up and spending a lot more to have the dealer fix it. Not to mention the embarrassment of telling them what I did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.