Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
7601 - 7614 of 7614 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Looks are a personal, subjective opinion. Some people like the 2012 is "nicer", others think the 2013 is better. No one's 'right', per se.

The cold hard reality though, is that the 2013 Civic beyond looks is vastly better. They've improved almost every aspect of every trim level. That, however, is fact. You can't deny that the material upgrades to the interior, soundproofing, tightening of the suspension and steering, and improved safety are not significant enough to deemed better.

Every car is somehow "improved" year over year. Honda just had a lot more to make up for this year...which really does kinda suck. We still have good cars, the 2012 owners, but Honda definitely could've done it better. I hope they learned their lesson. I know I sure did.

There is a difference between opinion and fact. Saying "the 2013 looks better" is not fact (even though I tend to agree, that doesn't make it so). Saying that the 2013 is improved...that's pretty concrete, I'd say, no?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes, it is all subjective. However, there are absolutes. Farts do not smell good. But some people like the smell of farts. Well then they are wrong for feeling that way cause it's gross. The chrome thingy jacking up the 13 grill and the weird bottom to the front bumper don't look as nice. Anyone who disagrees is a fart lover. ; )

·
Registered
5 Posts
I own a 2013 SI sedan and the rear wing is a drawback and not just from an aesthetics standpoint. Aesthetics wise it's just too big for the size of the car. From a practical standpoint it's also a negative. When driving at night the rear wing often blocks the headlights of a car behind you when viewed in the rear-view mirror. A quick glance in the rear-view mirror may make you believe there's no car behind you when in fact there is.

Before choosing the sedan I got a chance to drive a 2012 and 2013 Si coupe back to back. The dealer had a 2012 out front which I test drove first and pulled a 2013 around from their back lot right when I got back. The two seemed to drive pretty much the same. The suspension on the 2013 was perhaps a little stiffer. My opinion is the 2013 interior is just nicer. It's obvious with the 2012 Honda cut corners to save a few bucks. If you like the simpler look I can appreciate your opinion but to me it doesn't look simpler it just looks cheaper.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I agree also but who's to say for certain? I mean if I got myself. 2013 instead of a 2012 I'd be balls deep in love with it. Honda is Honda lol live it love it and breath it. Like the past members posted I don't regret getting my 2012 but all those extra gadgets would be nice too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
80 Posts
It's like studies show that people who spend money on material things tend to have a sense of belief that what they purchased was the best decision they ever made. Even with criticism and facts rubbing in their faces people could care less. I love my 2012 because I purchased it but if I got myself a 2013 I'd love it just as much :) ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1362487695.475141.jpg

·
Banned
549 Posts
It's like studies show that people who spend money on material things tend to have a sense of belief that what they purchased was the best decision they ever made. Even with criticism and facts rubbing in their faces people could care less. I love my 2012 because I purchased it but if I got myself a 2013 I'd love it just as much :) View attachment 20408

Well said!!... Bigthumbsup!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Looks are a personal, subjective opinion. Some people like the 2012 is "nicer", others think the 2013 is better. No one's 'right', per se.

The cold hard reality though, is that the 2013 Civic beyond looks is vastly better. They've improved almost every aspect of every trim level. That, however, is fact. You can't deny that the material upgrades to the interior, soundproofing, tightening of the suspension and steering, and improved safety are not significant enough to deemed better.

Every car is somehow "improved" year over year. Honda just had a lot more to make up for this year...which really does kinda suck. We still have good cars, the 2012 owners, but Honda definitely could've done it better. I hope they learned their lesson. I know I sure did.

There is a difference between opinion and fact. Saying "the 2013 looks better" is not fact (even though I tend to agree, that doesn't make it so). Saying that the 2013 is improved...that's pretty concrete, I'd say, no?
Yeah, I agree in terms of the better materials used. I'm quite jealous of the thicker glass and improved sound deadening, along with the dash (aside from the faux-CF... would prefer the all-black trim on the EX) and the suspension. But i'm not $5k jealous. The exterior chrome kind of kills it for me though, I would not want a 2013 because the exterior is moving towards looking like a Hyundai.

·
Registered
32 Posts
2012 si will be quicker since it's lighter without extra insulation in the 2013.
And I like my 2012 sedan rear end better than the 2013. 2013's lines are too busy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
How can u dislike the 8th gen lol I love it as much as the 9th. But I will agree that the front bumper of the 2013 is a bit too much. But I am a fan of both the 2012 and 2013 bumpers. I think they are a fioooone piece of work.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The 8th gen Si, aside from the notorious 3rd gear issues (which I had - what a damn nightmare that was), was superior in almost every way to the 2012+ Si with the exception of less torque. At least from what I remember of owning a 2006 Si for four years.

The interior build was significantly better (when compared to 2012), the materials were of a higher quality, the engine was rev-happier (the redline is lower on the 2012+), it handled and steered much better than the new Si does (I feel like ours have much more body roll?), and it was much quieter. But that's a bit of personal bias, as my 2012 has a massive air leak in the driver's side window/door panel when it's all the way up that Honda can't seem to figure out.

But I have to defend my 2012 - outside of the glaring shortcomings from Honda's boneheaded decision to beancount the car, it has been very reliable so far at 13,000 miles. My 2006 was a complete lemon. Tit for tat, I suppose. I miss the overall "feel" from my 2006, but even though the 2012 is [very] rough around the edges and I can actually FEEL the cheapness and see it every time I'm in it, it wasn't enough to stop me from buying it, because they did get something right. It is much more drivable as a dialy driver thanks to the increase in torque, and the transmission has been great. It also looks fantastic - I get compliments on it and the Dyno Blue constantly. Outside of an Accord coupe, I think its the best looking compact coupe on the road (FWD at least!)

Was at the dealer earlier - outside of the fact that they have about 3 rows of 2012 Civic's left, I happened to notice the 2013 Si rims have black inserts (where the gray is on 2012). Interesting - I didn't know they changed that.

I did overhear a sales person talking to another salesperson saying "Yeah, we're not putting any 2013 Civic's on the lot in the showroom yet - the 12s aren't selling, so until then, we're just gonna keep putting the '12s on the floor."

Our unicorns must be the red headed stepunicorns, at least in the Minneapolis suburbs lol. I was very surprised to see how many 2012's they had left....I know I rag on our cars quite a lot, but they're not THAT bad. The dealership was acting like they can't even get people to sit in them. But frankly, after peering into an LX sedan (2013), the interior improvements were visually apparent without even looking in the car. Anyone browsing the lot would notice on looks alone. The materials really are class leading and impressive.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Only time will tell! I personally think 5 years from now people will get more excited seeing a 2012 more than a 2013+. I like that my car body style will be rare even tho it was criticized and considered a "fail". I like the 2013 though.

·
Registered
707 Posts
So interesting to hear peoples opinion between the two models. And although I do like both the 12' and 13', I find myself being more of a minimalist. So that's why I decided to keep my 12', instead of trading in for a 13'. Reading about Honda's improvement of the interior with better materials on the Civic.....that doesn't mean that everyone is going to like it. Call me strange, but I like the plastic feel of the interior. Easy to clean, easy to replace. The only that should matters to me are the touch points (steering wheel, shift knob, and pedals). As far as the exterior, like I said, I'm a minimalist. I don't like calling attention to myself.

7601 - 7614 of 7614 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.