9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would you buy a 2012 civic that is electric powered with no generator like Chevrolet's Volt? Or will you stick to gasoline?

·
Registered
58 Posts
If Honda can do better then both Honda & Nissan and have more range available then yes. But that time has yet to come with hybrids just starting to evolve, having a electric motor with batteries that can be charged with a gas generator motor is the way to go.......for now

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
dont hope to get far in USA with a all electric plug-in car, american gov't takes too long to figure things out. I dont kno of any charging stations in USA

Israel had 400 electric vehicle charging stations since a few years ago now they have 100 000.

USA is a dead market for electric cars now.

·
Registered
83 Posts
autoguide.com posted a press release about Honda's plug-in hybrid

i only posted a small part of it here, but there's a lot more good stuff to read in the press release and autoguide's write up

LINK to press release-> http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2010/11/la-2010-honda-plug-in-hybrid-to-use-4-cylinder-engine-deliver-up-to-15-ev-miles.html

PRESS RELEASE

Honda Plug-in Hybrid
Honda also unveiled a plug-in hybrid platform, which showcases Honda’s next-generation two-motor hybrid system. Integrated into a mid-size sedan platform, the plug-in hybrid is designed to be compatible with daily driving habits, allowing for short, frequent trips in all-electric mode, while providing long-distance driving capability when needed. The Honda two-motor system continuously moves through three different modes to maximize driving efficiency: all-electric, gasoline-electric and a unique, engine direct-drive mode. The plug-in hybrid also uses regenerative braking to charge the battery.
In all-electric mode, the vehicle uses a 6kWh lithium-ion battery and a powerful 120 kW electric motor. The all-electric mode achieves a range of approximately 10-15 miles in city driving and a top speed of 62 mph. Fully recharging the battery will take 2 to 2.5 hours using a 120-volt outlet and 1 to 1.5 hours using a 240-volt outlet.
The vehicle can also run in a gasoline-electric hybrid mode, the platform features a fuel-efficient 2.0-liter, i-VTEC® inline 4-cylinder, Atkinson cycle engine, paired with an electric Continuously Variable Transmission (E-CVT). An onboard generator adds to the battery powering the electric motor.
For more efficient high-speed cruising, the vehicle can engage in a direct-drive mode, in which only the engine drives the front wheels.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Yeah I would, ...if done right. Electric motors has so many potentials. Formerly worked for Nissan, and after taking the Leaf for a spin, I was unexpectedly very impressed. For one, 0-60 times have been reported and did sure feel like 7 seconds. Not bad for trying to be green.

I now work for GM and the Volt is sweet if you want that long range capabilities.

Of course like everything, there's pro's and con's that you have to weigh out to your individual lifestyle before making a final statement.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
autoguide.com posted a press release about Honda's plug-in hybrid

i only posted a small part of it here, but there's a lot more good stuff to read in the press release and autoguide's write up

LINK to press release-> http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2010/11/la-2010-honda-plug-in-hybrid-to-use-4-cylinder-engine-deliver-up-to-15-ev-miles.html

PRESS RELEASE

Honda Plug-in Hybrid
Honda also unveiled a plug-in hybrid platform, which showcases Honda’s next-generation two-motor hybrid system. Integrated into a mid-size sedan platform, the plug-in hybrid is designed to be compatible with daily driving habits, allowing for short, frequent trips in all-electric mode, while providing long-distance driving capability when needed. The Honda two-motor system continuously moves through three different modes to maximize driving efficiency: all-electric, gasoline-electric and a unique, engine direct-drive mode. The plug-in hybrid also uses regenerative braking to charge the battery.
In all-electric mode, the vehicle uses a 6kWh lithium-ion battery and a powerful 120 kW electric motor. The all-electric mode achieves a range of approximately 10-15 miles in city driving and a top speed of 62 mph. Fully recharging the battery will take 2 to 2.5 hours using a 120-volt outlet and 1 to 1.5 hours using a 240-volt outlet.
The vehicle can also run in a gasoline-electric hybrid mode, the platform features a fuel-efficient 2.0-liter, i-VTEC® inline 4-cylinder, Atkinson cycle engine, paired with an electric Continuously Variable Transmission (E-CVT). An onboard generator adds to the battery powering the electric motor.
For more efficient high-speed cruising, the vehicle can engage in a direct-drive mode, in which only the engine drives the front wheels.
Yeah I would, ...if done right. Electric motors has so many potentials. Formerly worked for Nissan, and after taking the Leaf for a spin, I was unexpectedly very impressed. For one, 0-60 times have been reported and did sure feel like 7 seconds. Not bad for trying to be green.

I now work for GM and the Volt is sweet if you want that long range capabilities.

Of course like everything, there's pro's and con's that you have to weigh out to your individual lifestyle before making a final statement.

from Type1's post, seems like Honda is going the Chevy Volt route and will end up doing a gasonline-electric motor. Im sure pricing will be competitive.

·
Registered
462 Posts
from Type1's post, seems like Honda is going the Chevy Volt route and will end up doing a gasonline-electric motor. Im sure pricing will be competitive.
I think here in the States, that would be much more favorable route to go. Even though the Leaf has a product that fit's 90% of American's daily driving range, there are many times where American's travel more than the Leaf's range, ...or at least out here in California. GM had experiences from the EV-1 and realized this very important feature and I'll bet it'll pull favor after the coming months with both Leaf and Volt out. Still though, I'm no expert and it remains to be seen. I'm kinda rooting for the home team on this one though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think the Leaf will sell well initially but sales will drop when the competition comes out. Americans want bigger cars. Look at the 10 ten list of cars sold in the U.S. They are big cars. Civic and Corolla are on the list but they are no longer small sub compacts.

Ford Focus Electric will probably sell well:

Ford Focus Electric Review | PluginCars.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts