9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can pick up a 2012 EX with front end damage. It'd need a new bumper, windshield and front driver side door. I'd be picking it up for a little less than 6k, no taxes involved. What do you guys think? I've got the time on me right now to give it the TLC it desperately needs. Air bags have NOT be deployed, thank goodness. New front end lights would be a must as well.

·
Registered
405 Posts
wow, 6k for practically a brand new car.. Go for it, sounds like a huge profit margin.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
wow, 6k for practically a brand new car.. Go for it, sounds like a huge profit margin.

profit for who? 6k is a deal, but whats the cost to repair?

I would suggest getting an estimate on the parts/labor/paint before you get into it.....6k is good deal but your only looking at the cosmetics of it. If the damage extends from the front end all the way to replacing the doors there could be some motor issues, frame/body issues....you might get a new door on there only to find out if wont close right because the body is tweaked.

who is the seller? is it private or from insurance? mayabe a mechanic?

i think you need to do some more homework before you dive into this project. just IMHO

·
Registered
405 Posts
profit for who? 6k is a deal, but whats the cost to repair?

I would suggest getting an estimate on the parts/labor/paint before you get into it.....6k is good deal but your only looking at the cosmetics of it. If the damage extends from the front end all the way to replacing the doors there could be some motor issues, frame/body issues....you might get a new door on there only to find out if wont close right because the body is tweaked.

who is the seller? is it private or from insurance? mayabe a mechanic?

i think you need to do some more homework before you dive into this project. just IMHO
That's absolutely true, make sure to give it a solid mechanical inspection before you jump into anything, I thought that was the unspoken rule of the road haha my bad.

If we are talking purely cosmetic here, I think there is some money to be made if you restore it properly.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Be very careful buying a car with a salvaged title. When you try to sell it a few years from now, it's tough to find buyers unless the price is very, very cheap. One of my friends bought a Civic with a salvaged title, then found out that no auto dealer will ever take the car in for trade and after 6 months of trying to sell the car, gave up. He's currently driving it until it breaks, then have it towed away for junk. He has also had lots of engine problems...after spending lots of money to fix most of the cosmetics. He still regrets the day he first thought the car was a great deal. Please be very careful...there is always a reason cars with salvage titles are so cheap, and it's usually not always cosmetic. Engines and especially suspensions are easily damaged in a wreck. In order to have a salvage title, it's usually a car that has more damage than 75% of the total value. For a $10,000 car, say, that's $7500 worth of damage.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Parts are also pretty hard to get so that would be something to consider. Like other forum members mentioned, I suggest getting a quote on repairs and see if it's worth it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I could use some spare parts, where is the car?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I wouldn't touch a salvage title car with a ten foot pole... there's no telling what you might get into once you start.
You could get lucky... but 6k upfront is a gamble... and no matter what you do... the car will never be the same as "like new".

·
Registered
177 Posts
Try checking out the engine, see if it runs good with nothing wrong. Check if anything inside the car is missing. 6k to me kinda sketchy.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Salvage title means an insurance company totaled it. And it would be for more than just cosmetic work. I'd say 10k minimum estimate to repair. Typically, people that buy these cars own shops and can do the labor themselves. You can pm the vin and I will run it for you if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com Free App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.