9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i scoured the interwebs for a diy on how to replace the rear speakers on a 2012 sedan (in my case the LX), but only found coupes. So I followed the coupes instructions here: DIY Sedan Rear Speaker Install - Honda Civic Forum

Those instructions are for a 8th gen, but are 90% the same. The only difference is the pillar covers. They are visibly 2 pieces to the pillar cover that blend in to one. There is the major lower piece, and then a strip on the top. To get the pillar cover off, insert a thin screwdriver where the two pieces meet and pop it up, then just curl it out. It should come out easily. Then start pulling on the main pillar cover but dont try and remove it totally. You just want to get it unclipped. There will be a white clip that stays in place (so when the airbag blows it doesnt send that cover flying). Sticks your fingers under the cover and while applying a light amount of pulling pressure to the cover, push in each side of the tab and it will seperate. That should do it. After that, remove the deck, install the speakers.

In all, it took a buddy and I 30 mins to do both. Very easy. They sound better than the stock rears, but still sound hollow. I think the headunit purposely cuts out some sound from the rears, thats the only way I can explain such sound from both stock and new speakers.

I just put in a set of MTX Terminator series 3-ways. I have the set for the front too, but I have to cut the screws down that mount the speaker to the adapter. That will happen when I get back from my quarterly disney world trip.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I looked through my container of screws and found just enough to mount my front speakers to the adapters. It took my buddy and I 30 mins to put the front ones in, they were actually easier than the rears! I was very happily surprised. The speakers sound sooooooo much better. They dont do bass as well, but the mids and high sound soo much clearer and crisper. I am extremely happy with the upgrade!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Can you describe how to remove the door panel (where to pull, clips, etc)

Also, did you use speaker harnesses? Or did you cut the wire and attach directly to the speaker?

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I worked through installing new speakers in the rear of my 2012 Civic EX Sedan and I took a bunch of pictures for the benefit of the community.
Here ya be...

1. Remove rear bench seat (optional in my experience) -- there is 1 10mm bolt in the center of the seat cushion... you have to push the cushion down to get to it. Then you squeeze and pull forward (toward the front of the vehicle) two clips; one on each side of the front of the bench to release it up. The whole thing then comes out.

As i said, in my experience, I was able to remove the side pillars without removing the seat and I liked that so I didn't include a picture of this step...

2. Remove each side upholstered pillar. Push down corner cushion of bench seat (if still installed) and remove 10mm bolt.
IMG_1310.jpg IMG_1308.jpg
The pillar will then slide up and out of its resting place. Don't pull straight forward toward the front of the car. It has a hook that requires you to slide it up vertically before removing.
IMG_1311.jpg IMG_1312.jpg

3. Remove C Pillars - molding -- Take your time as you do this part

Do this by first pulling off a little bit of the weather stripping in the corner of the door.
IMG_1313.jpg
Then Carefully pry the first of two Green fasteners located very close to where the plastic molding meets the headliner...once this one pops, you should be able to feel where the second one is -- about 2/3 way down the window on the top side. For me, on both cases, I was unable to get this back one to remove STILL ATTACHED TO THE MOLDING...it popped off and I had to reattach it. NO worries. You can see in the pictures that there is a top piece of plastic that disattaches from the rest of the molding. It snaps right back on fairly easily.
IMG_1301.jpg IMG_1302.jpg IMG_1304.jpg IMG_1305.jpg
Once you have both of the green clips de-attached, then you can remove the little black and white retainer clip for the airbag deployment. If it is still attached to the vehicle (the first time i did it, it popped off still attached to the car), just push it toward the rear of the vehicle as you pull the molding out...

YOU DO HAVE TO REMOVE THIS PIECE FROM THE VEHICLE BY SQUEEZING 2 small white tabs and reinstall it on the molding before you reinstall anything... It won't work to try to reinstall molding with this retainer still attached to the vehicle.

This is the hardest part of the install IMHO.

(I"ll continue with the next steps on another post...it's not letting me upload any more pictures for some reason)...

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
4. Remove Rear Plastic Molding Deck Panel

De-attach brake light
IMG_1315.jpg

Gently push up panel from inside the car...there are a total of 6 green clips -- 2 near th center and front edge and then 2 more each near each speaker. Just be gentle and go slow but they will pop out. Then gently lift up and pull back and the whole thing will slide out.
IMG_1316.jpg IMG_1318.jpg

5. Remove speakers with 1 bolt and speaker harness. I like to use one of these little ratchet tools with a phillips bit. Much easier than anything else I know of.
IMG_1320.jpg IMG_1321.jpg

6. Reinstall new speakers with one of these kits: Speaker Mounting Brackets Fits select 2006-up Honda and Acura vehicles (for 6-1/2" and 6-3/4" speakers) at Crutchfield.com
Perfect fit except I'd recommend installing the bracket first with the screw only part way...then screw on the speaker to the bracket... then tighten the main mounting screw.
I've had issues with these deforming once you get the speaker mounted to them and then the mounting screw doesn't want to find the hole... Can also be fixed potentially by a drill bit and enlarging the mounting hole on the speaker bracket.

GOOOD LUCK!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great step by step wwboy. I am planning on installing a sub in the middle of the panel. Just need to cut a hole in the centre of the sheet metal and do some fibre glassing. Thanks again for the demo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having an issue with my 2013 civic coupe on getting the old factory door speakers in the front out. Says they should just pop out but after taking the one screw that they had on it, the speakers are still in there solid. Anyone been in this position got any ideas? I thought maybe since theyve never been out maybe it created a seal around the speakers or something but I'm about out of ideas

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm having an issue with my 2013 civic coupe on getting the old factory door speakers in the front out. Says they should just pop out but after taking the one screw that they had on it, the speakers are still in there solid. Anyone been in this position got any ideas? I thought maybe since theyve never been out maybe it created a seal around the speakers or something but I'm about out of ideas
Yes it's kinda stuck like its glued. Yes held by one bolt and there like some clips holding it to the door, you have to slide the speaker bracket to get it out. Crutchfield sells the bracket to put aftermarket speakers on. You can see how it comes out by looking at the back of it. I installed mine before they had that bracket so I had to drill it to the door. I do have the install sheet for front and rear speakers and the radio. I can post it if anyone needs it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts