9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I'm having this problem with my Si:
While driving in the freeway, the engine will abruptly loss power and all the lights on the dashboard will turn on including:Cold, low tire pressure, check engine, steering wheel and in the iMid display I will see:
"Check TPMS system" "Check emission system" "Check brake system" :Check VSA system"

The car just won't fire up. this happened at 900 miles and now at 2.5K miles, 1st time it started again about 20 mins with no errors, and second time it started just after it was towed, 2hrs after.

What do you guys think it is wrong with my car? Dealer has performed all test to the computer and they can't find anything wrong, both times it happened while accelerating (not too hard)

Also is there an easy way to reset the computer when this happens?
Car only uses Shell 92 octane, and it is completely stock.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Resetting the ecu is just removing the battery cables. I would take it back to the dealer and tell them to check the battery. A bad cell would cause not enough voltage going to the ecu even though the engine is on. Check the alternator too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This happened to my car a few months ago when a cheap coupler I was using to hold my intake on slipped off. The engine was getting all the air without it running by the mass airflow sensor, and it slowly started to lose power, bog down, then stall out. At first I didn't know what happened, so I tried starting the car, and it started up for a second then turned right off. I had all the same codes you mentioned, and they did not go away until I drove the car for a little bit after fitting my intake back on properly. If you're getting the same symptoms, try seeing if a new mass airflow (maf) sensor can fix the problem, or maybe it's dirty. Hope this helps!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks guys, I'll tell the dealer tomorrow morning about the MAF sensor. it is very possible that it is that, I remember the first time it happened I kinda too the air filter clips out put them back in, gave a little punch to the maf sensor (is it that connector on the big hose that goes to the cover of the air filter?) and it turned on, last night I tried the same with no luck.

It is very possible that it is that, both times that happened I was accelerating at 50mph. I hope it is that, I was about to tell them to change the ECU.

It is very scary to lose power on the high way, I was lucky that the shoulder was big in both cases and not to much traffic, I didn't enjoy waiting for the towing company.

Anyway guys the car is just 6 months old, so has full warranty, if it happens again I'll get another one, I just cant live with a randomly stalling car.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks guys, I'll tell the dealer tomorrow morning about the MAF sensor. it is very possible that it is that, I remember the first time it happened I kinda too the air filter clips out put them back in, gave a little punch to the maf sensor (is it that connector on the big hose that goes to the cover of the air filter?) and it turned on, last night I tried the same with no luck.

It is very possible that it is that, both times that happened I was accelerating at 50mph. I hope it is that, I was about to tell them to change the ECU.

It is very scary to lose power on the high way, I was lucky that the shoulder was big in both cases and not to much traffic, I didn't enjoy waiting for the towing company.

Anyway guys the car is just 6 months old, so has full warranty, if it happens again I'll get another one, I just cant live with a randomly stalling car.
It is scary, I was on my way to work and all of a sudden I just felt the car start to go limp. Hope you got your problem fixed!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just an update, they still have the car at the dealer, they say that they can't figure out the problem and they are in contact with Honda Tech to figure out the solution to this unique problem..
I'm not sure what are they thinking, last time it stalled (in fornt of the dealer) we got it to start Unplugging the MAF connector (sure all the errors lights were on) but it started. with the MAF disconnected, it will want to die if I pass the 3000rpm, otherwise it felt Ok.

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
It sounds like it could very well be a voltage issue. They should be checking that if they have not done so already. There have been other cases that were similar to yours and they were caused by voltage dropping too low for the ecu to function properly. Good luck and I hope they get it figured out for you soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same with my, car by chance was the weather conditions wet wile this happened? I stalled out on the freeway rite after hydroplane through a puddle. Could be a damaged sensor in the exhaust system do to reaching max temp of 600 deg, large puddles or even washing your car wile exhaust is still at max temp will crack o2 censors.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi guys sorry for not answering 4 years. Yes it was resolved. <br>
I took the car from the dealer after they said they couldn't find anything, car stalled outside the dealer, at this point I told them to check the MAF sensor, Big thanks for the responses.<br>
<br>
they gave me a rental and they flew in a honda tech (according to them). one week+ passed and i got the car back. sheet says replaced MAF sensor. it has been OK and now it has 39K, no issues with anything whatsoever. knock on wood. Thank you<br>
<br>
if it happens to you, and car doesnt start... disconnect the maf sensor, no tools required, car won't pass 40mph or so but it will start. the car just doesn't know how much air/fuel to mix.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts