9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I just want to say that I am thoroughly enjoying my 2012 Si. It currently has about 5k miles on it, and i haven't had any issues (minus spray paint vandalism on Thanksgiving day T_T), but I do have one concern: intermittent volume rising and lowering from the speakers.

First I want to mention that I have not tweaked or touched any of the audio settings, except lower the bass one notch down. Every once in a while I'll notice that the sound volume drops substantially, then one or two seconds later it goes back up to the volume I had it at, and then does it again a few seconds later. This process repeats itself until I stop and turn off the car. Once i start the car up again, it's a gamble whether or not the sound volume will be normal or if I'll get the fluctuating volume problem. Sometimes it works fine, and other times it will do it for a whole trip.

Does anyone else have this issue? or can anyone tell me what it is? I'm wondering if there is a lose wire somewhere or if something else is making this happen. Thanks for any and all insight!

·
Registered
20 Posts
It may have something to do with the Speed Sensitive Volume Control. Have you changed the settings for it? It should be found in the same menu group where you adjusted the bass and treble. in the menu it shows up as "SVC" and can be adjusted from 'off low, medium, high'. Try turning it off and see if you notice a difference.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It may have something to do with the Speed Sensitive Volume Control. Have you changed the settings for it? It should be found in the same menu group where you adjusted the bass and treble. in the menu it shows up as "SVC" and can be adjusted from 'off low, medium, high'. Try turning it off and see if you notice a difference.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for your input. The first thing I checked was the SVC level, and it's at "high" and has always been at high. I haven't touched it. This only started happening within the last 2 weeks.

I admit i'm not a car audiophile, so what would turning it off actually mean do for me? Thanks again!

·
Registered
20 Posts
what the SVC does is change the volume of the stereo to compensate for engine and wind noise at higher speeds by raising and lowering the volume automatically.

Turning it to a lower setting would reduce the amount that is does so and turning it off entirely would make it so that the volume would be entirely manually controlled. I would suggest turning it off and seeing if you notice a difference. If the problem persists even with SVC off you may need to have a technician check it out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had the same issue in my EX coupe. One day all of a sudden, the volume would go up and down every 2 to 3 seconds. SVC was set to high. I went ahead and turned off SVC and set it back to high. The issue went away and it hasn't happened again since then. That was about a month ago.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the same issue in my EX coupe. One day all of a sudden, the volume would go up and down every 2 to 3 seconds. SVC was set to high. I went ahead and turned off SVC and set it back to high. The issue went away and it hasn't happened again since then. That was about a month ago.
looks like that should solve my problems. Thanks for the confirmation!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I did mine to Medium and it hasn't happened again since either.

·
Registered
106 Posts
mine was doing it around 55-60 kmph, so i turned it off, i think i rather control it myself anyway

·
Registered
717 Posts
Mine does that when I step on the gas hard at high rpm. My gf also noctice it in my si also. It's raises then slightly goes down after I let off the gas a bit

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had same problem with my 2012 Civic EX. I eventually learned to turn off SVC as has already been suggested. Driving with sun roof open definitely sets off the problem. As others mentioned, you cannot turn SVC back on and have it work properly until the car is shut off. When it is working, I prefer the sound quality. I'm glad to learn it isn't just my car. It drove me nuts until I learned how to shut SVC off.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've had this problem for a few months in my 2012 Honda Civic. I, too, can "work around" the problem by turning SVC off. I can turn it back on,but the problem eventually returns.

But I want SVC to work! I don't want to turn it off.

Does anyone know how to actually fix​ the issue?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Why would you actually want SVC to work, its an annoyance at best, I mean is it that hard to turn volume up or down using the steering wheel controls. and besides that it does stupid loudness boosts to the low and high end making any settings you have useless.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts