9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a small problem with my 2012 Honda Civic LX Sedan. I don't think it's alarming by any means, but I'd like to see what you all think about what the problem could be.

Here's a bit about the car:
>It has 318,000kms
>Spark Plugs were last changed at 246k with double iridium plugs (3rd change overall as I am a maintenance fanatic)
>Just had the engine valves adjusted
>Oil always changed regularly (every 8km)
>Transmission fluid has been changed every 48km
>Changed the rad fluid at 172km
>All other maintenance done on time (as per older guidelines before the newer dashboards that tell you when to do each of the services)
>Bought the car new (May of 2011)
>Car has never overheated
>Doesn't burn a drop of oil

When I start the car in the morning, everything sounds normal. When I put it in drive, however, there is a very light ticking noise. The noise is more noticeable when pressing the gas. After around 15 minutes of driving, the noise disappears and the car sounds like new again. The car doesn't shake or stutter when staring, driving or idling. It's just this ticking noise that goes away when the car warms up.

Would like your thoughts on what you think it could be. I think it could be some sort of driving belt or a small crack in the exhaust somewhere...possibly near the engine like the older Civics had. Maybe the beginning of the end of the timing chain? Then again, the noise goes away when the car is hot so that suggests something is expanding to make the noise disappear.

Please help!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Does the tick vary with RPM or vehicle speed?
My exhaust (aftermarket) ticks when I start the car cold...goes away after 30 seconds or so. I can see black around where the leak is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It definitely varies with speed and rpms. It lasts until the car is really warm...takes a good 15 min of driving. Slowly gets dimmer until it's gone.

I haven't inspected the exhaust...but this was mentioned as a possibility by someone I know actually. Honda just likes for me to throw money around like it's in style. Let's just do every repair under the sun to see if it fixes the problem. :eek3dancesmiley:

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Hi all,

I have a small problem with my 2012 Honda Civic LX Sedan. I don't think it's alarming by any means, but I'd like to see what you all think about what the problem could be.

Here's a bit about the car:
>It has 318,000kms
>Spark Plugs were last changed at 246k with double iridium plugs (3rd change overall as I am a maintenance fanatic)
>Just had the engine valves adjusted
>Oil always changed regularly (every 8km)
>Transmission fluid has been changed every 48km
>Changed the rad fluid at 172km
>All other maintenance done on time (as per older guidelines before the newer dashboards that tell you when to do each of the services)
>Bought the car new (May of 2011)
>Car has never overheated
>Doesn't burn a drop of oil

When I start the car in the morning, everything sounds normal. When I put it in drive, however, there is a very light ticking noise. The noise is more noticeable when pressing the gas. After around 15 minutes of driving, the noise disappears and the car sounds like new again. The car doesn't shake or stutter when staring, driving or idling. It's just this ticking noise that goes away when the car warms up.

Would like your thoughts on what you think it could be. I think it could be some sort of driving belt or a small crack in the exhaust somewhere...possibly near the engine like the older Civics had. Maybe the beginning of the end of the timing chain? Then again, the noise goes away when the car is hot so that suggests something is expanding to make the noise disappear.

Please help!
Did the 'problem' start after the valve adjustment?

You can use a long screwdriver as a stethoscope to hunt the noise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It would be hard for me to find where the noise originates usung a screw driver since i only hear it when the car is in the drive position. No noise in neutral or park position.

I suppose someone could be in the car, put it in drive and hold down the brakes and push the gas a bit...but i don't feel comfortable doing that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
only ticks under load ie in drive or reverse? possibly piston slap?
In drive it ticks but only before the engine is nice and warm. The sound then goes away. This means metal is expanding to make the sound go away. Takes around 10 to 15 minutes of driving for it to go away.

I think it's possible that any one of the belt tensioners is loose or warn or maybe the timing chain could be starting to stretch. If it is piston slap would the car burn oil? Mine doesn't burn a drop. What about the the crack in the main exhaust pipe entering the bottom of the engine which used to be common with civics? That's also a possibiity (sorry, don't know what this part is called...does anyone know?).

Gonna get a mechanic to lift it up and do the screwdriver/broom test on it. Hopefully they can source the issue with 100% accuracy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
piston slap would go away when warm but its more of a knock noise than a tick i guess. exhaust leak will be a tick noise that goes away when warm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
piston slap would go away when warm but its more of a knock noise than a tick i guess. exhaust leak will be a tick noise that goes away when warm.
I've watched some piston slap videos and it doesn't sound like a slap at all. It's definitely sounding like a tick. Besides, isn't piston slap present even in neutral?

I've changed my oil on time since i bought the car brand new and have had double iridium spark plugs since the 85k kilometers (50k mikes) mark installed on the car....with 2 changes done to boot! Next to zero wear on plugs when i change them too...not sure if this is relevant but thought I'd mention it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts