9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a key fob conversion case for my 2012 Honda Civic and was able to cut the key and program it properly, however as soon as I put the chip into the case, it does not allow the car to start. I use the same chip without the case and hold it near the key as I turn the ignition and it works. It only gives me the immobilizer error when the key is inside the case. I tried it at various distances and it seems like there is a specific distance at which the transponder must be to deactivate the immobilizer. I wanted to see if anyone had more experience on what I can do to solve it or how I can get it to work. I tried removing some of the interior plastic which was used for support to try and see if that was the issue but so far it has not worked and Ive removed as much as I can without breaking the case. I added some pictures to show the distance between the transponder and the key to see if you guys have any solutions. Thank you.

·
Registered
131 Posts
As you noticed, the transponder has to be closer to the ignition or else the car will just die.

For me, I went the route of tearing into my valet key since I don't use it and the transponder doesn't need to be wired. You can see below the transponder circled to the right of the case, and where I ended up placing it. It took a while, but a dremel with a cutting wheel will help with this process since the valet key is covered in a thick plastic. After I got the transponer out and confirmed it all worked, I covered it in electric RTV to keep it place.

There's also a pretty extensive thread on the 8th gen forums. The first post outline the process if you want to use one of the remote keys' transponders as the donor. If you're comfortable with a soldering iron and a bit of wiring, this could be an alternative:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As you noticed, the transponder has to be closer to the ignition or else the car will just die.

For me, I went the route of tearing into my valet key since I don't use it and the transponder doesn't need to be wired. You can see below the transponder circled to the right of the case, and where I ended up placing it. It took a while, but a dremel with a cutting wheel will help with this process since the valet key is covered in a thick plastic. After I got the transponer out and confirmed it all worked, I covered it in electric RTV to keep it place.

View attachment 494112 View attachment 494113

There's also a pretty extensive thread on the 8th gen forums. The first post outline the process if you want to use one of the remote keys' transponders as the donor. If you're comfortable with a soldering iron and a bit of wiring, this could be an alternative:

This is exactly what I was looking for appreciate it!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts