9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 395 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never heard of "Eco Assist" until today. Can someone please explain what this is, apparently it will come standard on all 2012 Civic models, and other vehicles in Honda's line up.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Never heard of "Eco Assist" until today. Can someone please explain what this is, apparently it will come standard on all 2012 Civic models, and other vehicles in Honda's line up.
seems like the "eco" button will tune the car down while engaged to save fuel just like the new cr-z

·
Registered
83 Posts
seems like the "eco" button will tune the car down while engaged to save fuel just like the new cr-z
i found a video on Eco Assist with the Honda Insight, i can safely assume the Eco Assist system should be the same in the 2012 Civic. The video doesn't state anything about tuning the car down when engaged, maybe im missing out on something here, care to explain?

·
Registered
129 Posts
i found a video on Eco Assist with the Honda Insight, i can safely assume the Eco Assist system should be the same in the 2012 Civic. The video doesn't state anything about tuning the car down when engaged, maybe im missing out on something here, care to explain?
yeah that video explains its perfectly.

-it maximizes fuel economy,
-you have less HP and TQ at your disposal,
-it shifts smoother

it's basically like the ECU "remaps" itself at the push of a button and
"tunes itself down" to increase fuel economy. thats what I intended to imply.

the cr-z has 3 modes (ECO, normal, and sport) all with varying levels of fuel economy and power outputs.

·
Registered
102 Posts
eco assist question

i was wondering if the mpg numbers for the civic would have been reached with the eco assist turned on.

if so, it makes me wonder if they did much work at all to increase mpg numbers from the 8th gen other than having a button that "tunes the engine down" (for lack of a better term).

i guess i was hoping the 39 mpg was achieved in normal mode and that eco assist would allow us to improve upon that, but i know thats wishful thinking.

in normal driving mode, did they really make a new generation civic that really isnt more fuel efficient than the last generation?

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
i was wondering if the mpg numbers for the civic would have been reached with the eco assist turned on.

if so, it makes me wonder if they did much work at all to increase mpg numbers from the 8th gen other than having a button that "tunes the engine down" (for lack of a better term).

i guess i was hoping the 39 mpg was achieved in normal mode and that eco assist would allow us to improve upon that, but i know thats wishful thinking.

in normal driving mode, did they really make a new generation civic that really isnt more fuel efficient than the last generation?
I'm 100% sure Eco was on with that estimation. It is a mpg estimation, why would they ignore something that gives them better mpg? It just wouldn't make sense for them to not use it in the estimation and hold back their own numbers you know?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm 100% sure Eco was on with that estimation. It is a mpg estimation, why would they ignore something that gives them better mpg? It just wouldn't make sense for them to not use it in the estimation and hold back their own numbers you know?

i know. just wishful thinking. though, the eco assist not only physically changes things but provides immediate feedback to help the driver be more efficient. i know from having the immediate mpg readout on my corolla how much this helps me beat the epa highway numbers.

still, disappointing if all honda did was take the same engine from the 8th gen and used eco assist to improve to 39 mpg.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
i know. just wishful thinking. though, the eco assist not only physically changes things but provides immediate feedback to help the driver be more efficient. i know from having the immediate mpg readout on my corolla how much this helps me beat the epa highway numbers.

still, disappointing if all honda did was take the same engine from the 8th gen and used eco assist to improve to 39 mpg.
Did Eco ruin the driving experience? The way I imagine it is like it's an automatic snail mode lol like would people actually want to use it

·
Registered
102 Posts
Did Eco ruin the driving experience? The way I imagine it is like it's an automatic snail mode lol like would people actually want to use it

my corolla just has an instantaneous mpg readout. there is nothing that changes the dynamics of the engine performance. but, it was very helpful at the beginning in teaching me how to drive for fuel efficiency (when i want to).

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
i think im confused.....Honda added the electronic power steering this year and this alone should increase the mpg's due to the amount of drag the hydrolic pump puts on the motor. So with the new EPS and Ecomode you only get 3 extra mpg's???? seems like a HUGE waste, and i dont believe that CA fuel economy standards would approve the MPG number based on a "mode".....this would have to be supplemental to the actual number you would get without it on.

So once again, im going to reach out to our resident expert.... DIZZLE can you confirm or deny any of this for us?

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
HEY! OP, seems like it might be your lucky day! :D

http://www.9thgencivic.com/forum/9t...hat/354-i-just-drove-2012-civic.html#post3884

All the MPG figures are tested in ECO OFF mode, so the figures posted by the EPA will be better if the driver used ECO mode. The Si sounds like it's hot, they had to reinforce the suspension and body to handle the added torque........I saw a picture of the red line, it read 7000, but I read that peak HP was 201 at 7300.......so I am sticking to my source at red line at 7650........until I see a final production number. They were VERY careful on not to talk about Red Line or show it during the whole presentation........They did say the Si will display, in the MID, the HP used and a rev limit indicator.

·
Registered
102 Posts
see i was right!!! now the question becomes "what is the possible MPG number with the ECOMODE on if they are posting 39 MPG"s with it off????"
and why cant honda advertise it if ford and chevy can advertise their numbers with crap like:

Manual transmission: 26 city/36 hwy/30 combined mpg* *EPA-estimated 26 city/36 hwy/30 combined mpg, manual transmission Automatic without SelectShift: 28 city/38 hwy/31 combined mpg* *EPA-estimated 28 city/38 hwy/31 combined mpg, non-SelectShift automatic transmission. Automatic with SelectShift: 27 city/37 hwy/31 combined mpg* *EPA-estimated 27 city/37 hwy/31 combined mpg, SelectShift automatic transmission. SE Sedan with SFE Package: 28 city/40 hwy/33 combined mpg* *EPA-estimated 28 city/40 hwy/33 combined mpg, SE with SFE Package

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
and why cant honda advertise it if ford and chevy can advertise their numbers with crap like:

Manual transmission: 26 city/36 hwy/30 combined mpg* *EPA-estimated 26 city/36 hwy/30 combined mpg, manual transmission Automatic without SelectShift: 28 city/38 hwy/31 combined mpg* *EPA-estimated 28 city/38 hwy/31 combined mpg, non-SelectShift automatic transmission. Automatic with SelectShift: 27 city/37 hwy/31 combined mpg* *EPA-estimated 27 city/37 hwy/31 combined mpg, SelectShift automatic transmission. SE Sedan with SFE Package: 28 city/40 hwy/33 combined mpg* *EPA-estimated 28 city/40 hwy/33 combined mpg, SE with SFE Package
dude your talking apples vs oranges now.
The difference is this:

Honda- the eco mode allows you to toggle between two modes, one of which will assist in better fuel economy but sacrifice other things to acheive this. And you will more than likely be driving with it off more than you will one.

Ford- the SFE is a package, just like the new civic HF so they can advertise the higher MPG as you will acheive this full time with that optional package. The select shift transmission is all working full time and there is no way to turn it off so you cant toggle you MPG's per say.

Bottom line is you cant advertise better MPG's because of a feature, (and thats exactly what ecomode is) it needs to be something that is running at all times and is not something that can be deactivated.

·
Registered
102 Posts
dude your talking apples vs oranges now.
The difference is this:

Honda- the eco mode allows you to toggle between two modes, one of which will assist in better fuel economy but sacrifice other things to acheive this. And you will more than likely be driving with it off more than you will one.

Ford- the SFE is a package, just like the new civic HF so they can advertise the higher MPG as you will acheive this full time with that optional package. The select shift transmission is all working full time and there is no way to turn it off so you cant toggle you MPG's per say.

Bottom line is you cant advertise better MPG's because of a feature, (and thats exactly what ecomode is) it needs to be something that is running at all times and is not something that can be deactivated.
sure i see the difference. it just seems like honda would be allowed to give two sets of numbers. there would be nothing ambiguous about it.

28/39 with normal mode
33/43 wih eco assist on (as an example)

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
sure i see the difference. it just seems like honda would be allowed to give two sets of numbers. there would be nothing ambiguous about it.

28/39 with normal mode
33/43 wih eco assist on (as an example)

hmmmm, yeah i didnt think about that, not sure why they didnt post that. Im sure there is some reason or legal issue preventing them. Or maybe they just like playing with our heads and are holding out as long as possible like they are with everything else! :wigglesmiley:

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
hmmmm, yeah i didnt think about that, not sure why they didnt post that. Im sure there is some reason or legal issue preventing them. Or maybe they just like playing with our heads and are holding out as long as possible like they are with everything else! :wigglesmiley:
(playing devil's advocate)

or maybe the numbers wouldn't even validate using it?

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
very possible....but that is going to be a huge disappointment and complete waste of even having it if it doesnt improve the mpg's at all......
haha I mean really, having an ECO button though, which doesn't help with mileage really would be of no benefit and I doubt anyone would even ever use it. Don't let my post get you down, that is definitely not going to be the case!

1 - 20 of 395 Posts