9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2012 SI HFP back in April last year, when I brought it home I had to have a provincial safety inspection and was told my rear camber was out of spec about -2 degrees on each side, they passed it but told me I would likely have camber wear issues. In June I bought some brand new tires for the 18" wheels that came with the HFP, and within 10,000KM i was getting unusual inner wear on the tires that was giving me some annoying spinning noises within the tires, almost sounded like a wheel bearing going but it wasn't. Sound went away when I put my winters on, which are in 17" wheels. Now I am starting to slowly get the same noise from my winter tires. Does anyone know anything about this issue and how to fix it? Will a simple alignment do it possibly? It can't be right for the tires to be wearing like that so quickly.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Are you referring to the front or rear or both? Did you have an alignment after the car was lowered? Camber can wear tires but toe out of spec will ruin tires pretty quick
These cars have a bit of negative camber from the factory so any lowering makes the rear go more negative. You can add camber arms in the back and camber bolts up front of you want to have it put back to factory spec.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Dpetro is right on the money(as usual). Toe will kill tires super quick. Fortunetly you can adjust toe on these cars. Camber does need either bolts in the front or arms in the rear. I run -1.5 in the front and -2.5 in the rear, rotate my tires every 5k or so and have minimal camber wear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dpetro is right on the money(as usual). Toe will kill tires super quick. Fortunetly you can adjust toe on these cars. Camber does need either bolts in the front or arms in the rear. I run -1.5 in the front and -2.5 in the rear, rotate my tires every 5k or so and have minimal camber wear.
Yeah I had an alignment when I bought the car in April, i bought it at 30,000km but I’m assuming it had alignments before then. The issue is in the rear afaik. I’ll take it in for an alignment mighta put it out over the summer somehow. But yeah it’s about -2.5 in the rear I’m pretty sure

·
Registered
858 Posts
Camber arms are a good idea, negative camber is more beneficial for front end grip than in the rear. Have you had an alignment done since? As others have said this is a pretty minimal amount of negative camber that shouldn't cause significant wear. Toe is always the tire killer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts