9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I washed my car and decided to take a look under the body for any snow/salt I may have missed. Upon inspecting it, I noticed that there is rust starting to grow on the rear body frame and also the exhaust. Has anyone else had this problem yet? If it helps I bought this car in July 2012. 7 MONTHS OLD I have attached a few pictures. So sound off! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

IMG_00000006.jpg IMG_00000008.jpg IMG_00000009.jpg IMG_00000010.jpg IMG_00000013.jpg IMG_00000014.jpg IMG_00000022.jpg IMG_00000023.jpg IMG_00000025.jpg

·
Registered
576 Posts
I think some rust is normal. Some metals form a PROTECTIVE, yes, protective layer of rust on the exterior. The metal just under that layer of rust is fine.

See: Weathering steel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't know if the Civic uses this kind of metal, but I suspect it does. My 2002 Civic had a completely rusty exhaust pipe after 10 years:
curb3.jpg

That's the original exhaust pipe after 10 years of use. It had no leaks. The muffler was original too and it was in great shape. Check out the wheel area, too: (worked fine)
2642_79853115089_8137689_n.jpg
I live mostly in Montana, by the way, so it's often snowy and they probably salt the roads. Things might be different if you live in Florida or southern California.

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
Rust isn't normal but you said it snow and salt they act as an abrasive to the undercarriage your best bet is to get it recoated in undercoating

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
I just don't like the fact your trying to blame Honda for a weather issue.either way Honda won't warranty it as its not a factory paint defect just saying.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Get it Krown oil sprayed, will solve your problem, do it every year before winter, power wash the underside of your vehicle regularly, and use a sponge or mit to clean out the inside lip of the rear quarter panel wheel opening as it curves around and traps mud in there which will eventually start corrosion.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think what he means is if it were pealing paint or rusting thru the paint they would cover it.Bare metal is gonna rust especially in the north try to take care of it now while its not bad .Under coatings work great.

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
So today I washed my car and decided to take a look under the body for any snow/salt I may have missed. Upon inspecting it, I noticed that there is rust starting to grow on the rear body frame and also the exhaust. Has anyone else had this problem yet? If it helps I bought this car in July 2012. 7 MONTHS OLD I have attached a few pictures. So sound off! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

View attachment 18815 View attachment 18816 View attachment 18817 View attachment 18818 View attachment 18819 View attachment 18820 View attachment 18821 View attachment 18822 View attachment 18823
This from what you put kinda shows your paint and undercoating was penetrated therefore rust is appearing.so I'm pretty sure from what you put I got it down unless your asking about the physical make up of rust I mean that's easy.

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
I advised him to read his manual and told him that Honda wouldn't cover it,his ignorant reply was ,I'm going to try anyway.your manual would show what Honda paint warranty covers and I'm 99.99997532 sure it won't cover this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think what he means is if it were pealing paint or rusting thru the paint they would cover it.Bare metal is gonna rust especially in the north try to take care of it now while its not bad .Under coatings work great.
Thanks for the information bud, at least your not rude like the other poster

·
Registered
385 Posts
Sukraj: Honda won't cover it because the undercarriage is exposed to the elements. Water, salt, dirt, moisture, you can expect some rust to form even if the car is sprayed with a protection coating like Krown or Rust Check. As mentioned by another member, some parts are actually designed to have a little bit of rust. So I wouldn't even bother going to Honda with this because it'll be a polite "go away!".

My suggestion is get your car sprayed against rust. If you don't want to go with Krown which is black and tar-like, there's a product called Formula 3000 from Corrosion Free that's a transparent gel. I'll get that on next year because my undercarriage was sprayed by the dealership less than a year ago so no point putting it on this year.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.