9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Despite being known for its engine building prowess, Honda's new 2012 Civic does not live up to rivals in delivering the new 40-mpg benchmark number, set by cars like the 2011 Hyundai Elantra. In fact, Honda falls one short, with a 39-mpg highway rating.

Powered by a 1.8-liter i-VTEC engine, the new Civic may, however, have one surprise left, with Honda not yet disclosing city fuel economy. With the 1.8-liter a smaller powerplant than those used by rivals, the average fuel economy number may still come out on top.

What is amazing, is that Honda is able to achieve a number so close without the use of turbocharging, direct-injection or even a 6-speed transmission. Yup, the 2012 Honda Civic still relies on a 5-speed box.

Those looking for improved fuel economy can opt for a special HF model that makes use of special aerodynamic pieces, as well as Honda's ECO Assist technology that coaches drivers on how to get maximum fuel economy to help deliver 41-mpg highway.

Maximum Honda fuel economy is available with a new Civic Hybrid that gets a 4-mpg bump to achieve a 45-mpg combined rating, while those with a penchant for performance can turn to the Civic Si with a larger 2.4-liter 4-cylinder making 200-hp and 170 lb-ft of torque.

More: 2012 Honda Civic Sedan and Coupe Debut With 39-MPG Rating on AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
114 Posts
Real-World Comparison MPG of 8th Gen & 9th Gen Civic?

Does anyone have the basis of actual comparison of real-world mpg for the new Civic compared to the outgoing one? The EPA figures are around 3 mpg better. Does that hold up in actual experience so far?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Honda proves "real world" mileage AGAIN

In car comparison after car comparison, Honda proves they meet or exceed their EPA estimates where the competition fails.

The new Civic isn't any different.

Look at all these competitors with their new fancy 6-speed autos, dual clutches, direct injection, blah blah. This is from the Motor Trend Comparison.

Chevrolet Cruze 23.9 mpg
Ford Focus 27.9
KIA Forte 23.9
Hyundai Elantra 25.7

Civic 29.4 - that's 23% better than the Cruze and KIA

·
Registered
462 Posts
Is Honda planning to import the Electric Fit?
Yup, Fit EV should be here. Apparently there's a delay due to their May 11th tragedy.

Oh and to add to the O.P., working for GM, the Cruze certainly does not get it's advertised EPA figures. Man, this makes me wish that selling Honda's could actually pay well. Truth is, selling new Honda's won't make any car salesperson enough money for a decent living.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Yup, Fit EV should be here. Apparently there's a delay due to their May 11th tragedy.

Oh and to add to the O.P., working for GM, the Cruze certainly does not get it's advertised EPA figures. Man, this makes me wish that selling Honda's could actually pay well. Truth is, selling new Honda's won't make any car salesperson enough money for a decent living.
How come?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Bingo, take that Honda Haters.

·
Registered
310 Posts
the numbers for the cruze and elantra both surprised me....thought they would be higher. but the focus seems to be about right, considering that the MPG's posted are lower then most anyways.
Here is the kicker, you can get the Civic HF or a Civic hybrid if you want even better mileage.

Yes, the Cruze offers another model, but I doubt it can really overcome that 500lb weight penality.

Really, the Cruze weighs as much as an Accord, and people bitch and moan about the Accord being a pig.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
and im sure these numbers are based with the eco-mode off....so now the question is how much higher can it go with it engaged?
Eco just coaches the driver how to drive, it doesn't do anything with the fuel system or EcU or anything

once a driver learns what Eco mode does and tells them to do, they can technically drive in Eco mode even without it on.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Eco just coaches the driver how to drive, it doesn't do anything with the fuel system or EcU or anything

once a driver learns what Eco mode does and tells them to do, they can technically drive in Eco mode even without it on.
Civic: ECON Mode

All Civic models (except Si models) have as standard a driver-selectable "ECON" driving mode that alters the Drive-by-Wire throttle system response curve in the range from about 25 percent of pedal movement to 90 percent. With less gain, the throttle opening in this range increases more gradually, for better fuel efficiency. ECON mode also alters shift timing (when equipped with automatic transmission), and alters the operation of the air conditioning system (see the Interior section for more information).

ECON Mode
Every 2012 Civic (except for Civic Si) is equipped with an ECON button, a feature that first appeared on the second-generation Insight. This button engages ECON mode, in which several operating characteristics of the vehicle are modified to further enhance fuel efficiency. The Drive-by-Wire throttle system provides more gradual response, and on automatic transmission-equipped models, the shift mapping is reconfigured to provide earlier upshifts. To save additional energy, the climate control's upper five fan speeds (of a total of six) are lowered incrementally and other climate control system characteristics are altered based on the conditions. See the Powertrain section for more information on ECON Mode.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
^ Yea that's some ECU stuff right there lol

If I had a non-Si, I'd def use ECON mode, when I'm driving to places with a lot of time, why not save a little extra on gasolina :dancingcoolsmiley:

·
Registered
462 Posts
How come?
Because there isn't much profit selling each unit. Basically each sale of a brand new Honda nets the salesperson a minimum pay because the percentage commission of the profit made is less than the minimum pay per unit. I hear this and that about everyone saying the invoice you see listed online is higher than the actual invoice, ...but at the end of the day, the salesperson is paid on that publicized invoice.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts