9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

My 2012 Honda Civic MX 1.5L’s Ac compressor locked. I had a no start condition and it ended up being the ac compressor locking preventing the engine from starting. I have currently bypassed the ac compressor by having a shorter serpentine/drive belt. New compressors go for $600+ and I can’t afford that option currently.

Is there anyway salvage what I have with a new pulley or bearing or something like that?

Basically it’s not turning and jammed.

However I would say functionally that the AC would work if it were not locked and able to spin freely as it were before.

I’m not sure if it’s possible to just replace the pulley or bearing to solve the issue.

Again, because this is a hybrid a new compressor costs a fortune 😞

Thank you!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sorry, but when an AC compressor locks up, it is due to internal damage and there is no easy fix. Unplugging the electrical connector to the compressor clutch should allow the pulley to spin freely unless the clutch is damaged also.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I was wondering about the compressor clutch myself, but don't know how all the hybrid stuff works.

I vote for calling some junkyards, I found a few that can get just about anything through their Network, and handle parts with care.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
The hybrid A/C compressor is not a simple component.

Capture.JPG

If the internal works have failed. The A/C system will have contamination and MUST either be cleaned of all the debris. Or, contaminated parts replaced.
Most dealers will not even attempt to clean a condenser or evaporator. Because there is no reliable way to ensure they clean.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts