9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I've decided to upgrade my stereo in my 2012 LX coupe and planned on having the installation done at my local shop tomorrow. I've never had a problem with these guys and the work has always been great, but this time I'm not sure if they are BSing me. Basically I will be upgrading all 4 speakers, installing 1 12" sub (maybe a 10"), and running a 5 channel amp to power everything. I'm going with Alpine for the amp/speakers. My question is regarding the loc/signal processor. The shop first said I do need one and showed me the same models available on Crutchfield. When I went back to finalize my decisions today, they told me with the Alpine 5 channel amp I do not need a signal processor, it's a waste of money. I've called other shops and some said it is not needed, while others said it is a must for better sound.

So can someone please tell me, is the shop right? Do I not need the signal processor? I'm guessing they will wire the amp directly to the head unit, then wire the speakers/sub to the amp. Any feedback would be awesome as I planned on having the install done tomorrow!

·
Registered
144 Posts
What a lot of car makers are doing these days is putting cheap speakers in the doors, and then putting electronic signal processing in the radio to compensate for them, and for the interior acoustics. The Bose systems you see in high-end cars have this for sure.

If installing an aftermarket stereo in a car with this system, and you're keeping the factory radio, you will want a processor to undo the wave-shaping the factory radio did. This can be an external module, like the JL Audio Cleansweep, or it can be embedded into an amplifier.

The shop is probably trying to sell you Alpine's MRX-V70 five-channel amp. It doesn't have a processor inside it. Which might be ok, if the Honda LX radio doesn't do wave-shaping. And that's the question you should be asking.

So, find out if the factory radio in your car has a signal processor. If yes, you will need an external processor to undo it's processing. If no, then go ahead and install the MRX-V70 and have fun.

Chip H.

·
Registered
565 Posts
If anyone knows if the LX or EX radios have signal processing, please share this information.

Sent from my MB865 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
597 Posts
Yes they do. I own an EX (Clarion non-premium) and the EQ has been very poor. I think LX (Alpine) further cuts upper frequencies since it doesn't even have a tweeter.

The red line is the radio's frequency response of the front channels.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The before/after curves of the Imprint are really impressive - did you put the boost at 60Hz in yourself or was that a result of the Alpine trying to compensate for the total cut at 20Hz? Very flat, otherwise. :)

Also - I thought the Imprint system only worked with the Alpine headunits (some have it built-in, some require an external module). Do they have one that works with factory headunits now?

Chip H.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey guys. I have a similar question. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but seeing how it's the same subject, I figured not point in making another thread. With the stock LX, non-premium audio, HU would I need a signal processor for a 4 channel amp that has high level (speaker) inputs?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_575PBR3004/Rockford-Fosgate-PBR300X4.html

I have a couple sets of polk audio 651s, which I am about to install, but I'm still looking for an amp. Think that's a good amp to go with?
Thanks!

Sent from my DROID4 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
597 Posts
The before/after curves of the Imprint are really impressive - did you put the boost at 60Hz in yourself or was that a result of the Alpine trying to compensate for the total cut at 20Hz? Very flat, otherwise. :)

Also - I thought the Imprint system only worked with the Alpine headunits (some have it built-in, some require an external module). Do they have one that works with factory headunits now?

Chip H.
That's Imprint's AntEQ calibration printout for the radio (not Imprint's MultEQ which uses mic to measure positions, which is done after measuring head unit's response) and I have no control over it. I dumped that head unit anyway in favor of the Si/EX coupe head unit.

Alpine does have OEM integration units, dating back to 2007. I have the first generation PXE-H650 that I used to calibrate the stock head unit (as in the graph). Then they made PXE-H660 which adds just 4V pre-out. This year they have PXA-H800 which is a two unit (controller and main unit) system that works with both Alpine and OEM head units.

One thing to point out is that, AntEQ is not perfect. It does not correct everything your stock head unit misses. However it does try to do its best without having much artifacts. Also Imprint (MultEQ) does sound really good if calibration is done correctly for 8 poisitions.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Sorry to jack this thread, but is the stereo ib the SI's madd by alpine (navigation)

Sent from my SGH-I727R using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
597 Posts
No. The Si/EX coupe navigation is made by Mitsubishi, made in Japan.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts