9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Honda Civic LX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I just bought a 50,000 mile Civic (auto trans) from my uncle which is a huge upgrade in reliability and features, and a huge downgrade in performance from my old 2002 Honda Accord and an even further downgrade from the Manual 2003 Maxima I had before that. I like this car and its reliability and have no intention of selling it any time soon--BUT it is too slow for me!
Where I live in North Virginia as well, the roads sometimes really demand strong acceleration where there might be a no merge space ramp into 45 or 55 mph traffic (ppl speeding). I've already had a few situations where not accelerating faster felt dangerous or could have been very dangerous under just slightly modified conditions. The drivers here are TERRIBLE and worse than anywhere else I've ever lived.

I just want a car that will accelerate in the 5-7 second 0-60 range or have HP in the ~200 range whichever comes first I suppose. I know cars very well but know next to nothing about adding a turbo or the ideal way to get the performance I'm looking for for a 2012 LX Civic. I don't want a full blown sleeper monster, just something to better match previous cars I've owned while still having a reliable car that will last 200,000k miles when taken care of.

What is the best / easiest way to go about achieving my goals, and what am I looking at in terms of cost?
Separately, if anyone lives in the NOVA area anyone that they could recommend I would greatly greatly appreciate as well!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Hey all, I just bought a 50,000 mile Civic (auto trans) from my uncle which is a huge upgrade in reliability and features, and a huge downgrade in performance from my old 2002 Honda Accord and an even further downgrade from the Manual 2003 Maxima I had before that. I like this car and its reliability and have no intention of selling it any time soon--BUT it is too slow for me!
Where I live in North Virginia as well, the roads sometimes really demand strong acceleration where there might be a no merge space ramp into 45 or 55 mph traffic (ppl speeding). I've already had a few situations where not accelerating faster felt dangerous or could have been very dangerous under just slightly modified conditions. The drivers here are TERRIBLE and worse than anywhere else I've ever lived.

I just want a car that will accelerate in the 5-7 second 0-60 range or have HP in the ~200 range whichever comes first I suppose. I know cars very well but know next to nothing about adding a turbo or the ideal way to get the performance I'm looking for for a 2012 LX Civic. I don't want a full blown sleeper monster, just something to better match previous cars I've owned while still having a reliable car that will last 200,000k miles when taken care of.

What is the best / easiest way to go about achieving my goals, and what am I looking at in terms of cost?
Separately, if anyone lives in the NOVA area anyone that they could recommend I would greatly greatly appreciate as well!
How's it going? I'm located in the NOVA area too. Unfortunately, my advice is keep the car the way it is. It'll cost WAY too much to build a custom turbo kit and tune it, etc. Once you do that, reliability goes out the window.

·
Registered
2012 Honda Civic LX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How's it going? I'm located in the NOVA area too. Unfortunately, my advice is keep the car the way it is. It'll cost WAY too much to build a custom turbo kit and tune it, etc. Once you do that, reliability goes out the window.
I'm doing reasonably well in life I'd say haha, I can at least afford to spend a few grand trying to make this car not so damn slow.

Why would it have to be custom? There are no kits for the 2012 R18? Also I would think keeping it below a certain HP would keep it reliable. If going past 160 hp makes it unreliable without additional mods, then okay I get it it's definitely not worth it, but I'd probably be happy with 180 hp. Especially if anyone can say how their car performs or performed when it was at that level.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'm doing reasonably well in life I'd say haha, I can at least afford to spend a few grand trying to make this car not so damn slow.

Why would it have to be custom? There are no kits for the 2012 R18? Also I would think keeping it below a certain HP would keep it reliable. If going past 160 hp makes it unreliable without additional mods, then okay I get it it's definitely not worth it, but I'd probably be happy with 180 hp. Especially if anyone can say how their car performs or performed when it was at that level.
No kits. People who want easy performance just buy the Si from the get-go. The market isn't there.

You buy a non-Si to turbo if you want a project.

If you are indeed doing reasonably well, the procuring an Si in the future shouldn't be a problem. You'll ease your reliability fears as well.

·
I Need A Vacation
14,119 Posts
If you've got deep deep pockets and continue to throw money at it and somehow manage to make those numbers your AT tranny wouldn't be able to handle it anyways. Easier and cheaper just to buy a car that is capable of what your looking for out of the box or if you want a doable project get an Si.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts

I get what you're trying to do, but there are no kits to my knowledge. This is the wrong car to do it to. I would highly recommend just keeping it the way it is or just sell it and use the money to buy another daily with more hp.

Reactions: Teeps

·
Registered
20 Posts
i hear you garf. try this. sounds promising, and i’d be interested to know if it really works.

·
Registered
487 Posts
i hear you garf. try this. sounds promising, and i’d be interested to know if it really works.

The marketing hype is real on that website... Apparently, everything about it is EASY.

If it truly worked as claimed, this would be right up OP's alley. At that price though, not even counting all the other things you'll need to add, you are still facing a similar problem. The cost per HP just doesn't make sense.

Reactions: brondero

·
Registered
20 Posts
it's definitely pricey and i've heard that at full boost, the batteries last only a matter of minutes before they run dead and need to be charged back up via the power supply. not sure how long it takes to fully replenish charge either. hopefully the battery technology improves over time and the hardware costs fall out of astronomical range, but i'm optimistic it'll happen at some point.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts