9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New 2012 EX-L coupe owner here. The nav head unit is mostly non-responsive for anything except the volume control and some very glitchy and sporadic directional use of the joystick but clicking it in to select an option doesn't work at all except very rarely when it's glitching out. My theory is that one of the directions or the button on the joystick is shorted and the system doesn't want to respond to other button presses while it detects that something is being held down.

So I figure, with nothing to lose, I'll pull it out of the dash and see if I can't pop the front panel off and desolder the joystick (or resolder it if the connection looks bad) since in theory most everything the joystick can do can be done with the touch screen (assuming it works once I've removed the presumably faulty joystick.) Does anyone have any idea how difficult the disassembly would be just to access that part? If it's a matter of extensive work to access the back of the board but easy to access the front then I might just say screw it and see if I can just cut the button off the front of the board.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Took it apart and removed the joystick from the board. The touch screen and buttons work now!

Unfortunately, I'm now having a sporadic issue with the touch screen occasionally freaking out and selecting random options (or perhaps I didn't clean the contacts on the board well enough when I removed the joystick and it's getting ghost input from that.) I removed some tape from the sides of the unit in order to access some screws and I wonder if perhaps the grounding for the touch screen is now a bit wonky. Oddly enough, it seems like every time you turn the power on with the key it resets and will either be in freakout mode or not, which makes me wonder if it calibrates the touch screen when it gets power and if the value it calibrates to is skewed it acts up and if not it works mostly fine.

At this point I'm thinking I'll probably just find myself a junkyard replacement and be done with it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts