9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone, new to the forum. Snagged a good deal on a ‘12 Si. Only has 68k on it…previous owner drove it like a grandpa (he’s a friend). Only cons are it was smoked in and has crappy paint on the hood and front fenders (clear coat chipping, paint fading) and there is some minor fading starting to happen on both rear doors. From what I understand there was a recall on this. I got a quote to get it fixed and they want $6,200 to repair it! I was originally going to turn this into a nice project car in a year or so but this quote makes me think that might not be ideal given the paint situation. I will shop around for other quotes but in the meantime should I consider getting rid of it? I was thinking/hoping that I could get it repaired for 3k but that doesn’t appear to be the case so far. Thanks I’m advance!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hmm, would wrapping the car be out of the question? $6200 for work on just the hood and fenders seems like high-rate robbery.

I have a '15 si, and the platform is pretty awesome! If you could find alternative to that bogus paint quote, i'd say you'll have a lot of fun with this car. :) I haven't done any performance things yet, as I only have 75k miles.

·
Photoshop Masta
3,120 Posts
Um! What? That's insane.

I got a quote to paint the whole front end on my 2012 Si Sedan, from the front bumper, hood and to the rear doors and they quoted me $3,200.

For $6,200 they better be replacing the bumper, fenders and painting the whole car.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Not a Recall.

Service Bulletin 14-034
September 23, 2014 ATB 51745-52666 REV2 (1409)

Warranty Extension: 2006–13 Civic Paint Cracking, Chalking, or Clouding
Supersedes 14-034, dated June 12, 2014, to revise the information highlighted in yellow
(Replaces 12-049, Warranty Extension: Civic Hood Paint Cracking and 13-060, Warranty Extension: Civic Roof and Trunk Paint Chalking or Clouding)

• SB 14-034, Warranty Extension: 2006–13 Civic Paint Cracking, Chalking, or Clouding. Vehicles covered under this bulletin will have the warranty on their paint extended to 7 years from the original date of purchase with no mileage limit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not a Recall.

Service Bulletin 14-034
September 23, 2014 ATB 51745-52666 REV2 (1409)

Warranty Extension: 2006–13 Civic Paint Cracking, Chalking, or Clouding
Supersedes 14-034, dated June 12, 2014, to revise the information highlighted in yellow
(Replaces 12-049, Warranty Extension: Civic Hood Paint Cracking and 13-060, Warranty Extension: Civic Roof and Trunk Paint Chalking or Clouding)

• SB 14-034, Warranty Extension: 2006–13 Civic Paint Cracking, Chalking, or Clouding. Vehicles covered under this bulletin will have the warranty on their paint extended to 7 years from the original date of purchase with no mileage limit.
Thanks Terps!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Does 7 years from the original date of purchase mean that if the vehicle is a 2012 then the warranty extension ended in 2019?
It would basically mean 7 years from whenever the car was first sold so yes if the original owner bought the car new in 2012 the warranty would have ended in 2019.

Reactions: Teeps

·
Registered
271 Posts
It would basically mean 7 years from whenever the car was first sold so yes if the original owner bought the car new in 2012 the warranty would have ended in 2019.
You’re going to need the warranty start date which is usually the date of sale. Keep in mind a lot of 2012’s we’re sold in 2011.

Sent from my iPhone 13 Pro while on the toilet.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
You’re going to need the warranty start date which is usually the date of sale. Keep in mind a lot of 2012’s we’re sold in 2011.
Correct my cuz bought her '12 EX in 2011; got mine June '12.

Back in the day... A "loyal" Honda customer might have gotten "Good Will" consideration on this problem, especially as there IS an admitted problem.
But as a second owner and 10 years out, it's likely not going to happen.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You need to shop around, there are plenty of shops that can do the job for much less. That high rate is for Insurance claims which are bread & butter for those shops. The last time I painted my car's nose which includes the front clip, hood & both fenders was $700.00 at a regular Body shop. I get it painted every 2-3 years depending on the stone chip damage. The car looks like it rolled off of the line. The only bad thing for me is storing it till the paint cures usually a month before I even drive it.

·
Registered
8,268 Posts
I doubt they're painting just the front clip for that amount. That sounds like they're painting the doors ,pillars and front clip because of age and blending required to color match. Unless you specifically imply you only want such and such things painted without worrying about blending.
They might be charging you less that way. If they really are charging 6k+ JUST for front clip then I'd say run. Run far and run else where

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,799 Posts
I've had collision and paint work done (more than once haha) for less than half that amount.

Unfortunately, due to multiple cars (and drivers), I am needing their services more than I'd like. :rolleyes:

Find a trusted local shop and stay with them if they do good work for a fair price.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts