9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there was a defect with the rings and pistons in my 2012 Si. I was burning all of my oil by 1,200 miles. The parts finally came in and i dropped my car off wednesday morning (7/25) and got it back the next day. I asked them to take apart everything (aside from replacing the faulty rings and pistons) and check for damage in other parts of the engine, I found it hard to believe that they did all of that and had my car ready the next morning. Anyway, it started fine and it was good to go. Today, I got off work and went to start my car, but it wouldnt start. When i did get it to start it was barely moving and i had to change gears every 5 MPH, otherwise the car just wouldnt go. I barely made it to the dealership where i got my car. This video is in the parking lot. Wondering if this is a lemon or not?

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,769 Posts
Aw man. Whoa. They put oil in it? Hope they didn't throw it together and forget something and now you've got more serious damage. Keep us informed.

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
Wow that hurts just to watch. Just got worse when I actually got to hear it clacking, errr.. I mean idling there.

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
But it ran good and sounded normal in the morning that you picked it up after the rebuild? Absolutely no symptom before you went to start it after work?

·
Registered
302 Posts
It took them a week to do my motor, they said they needed it for at least that long to check everything out and order any other needed parts. Thats a lot of work to do in one day. My car did the same thing and wouldnt start easy after the rebuild with the dash lights flickering. They said it was a loose lead on the battery. None of my lights stayed on though after it was on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds like a spun bearing or really severe piston slap. Did it run well immediately after the new rings and pistons? Did they do anything with the oil pump? Any updates on this?

·
Registered
249 Posts
when cranking it sounds like the compression is good.. so I suspect something electrical at that point..

but listening to the idle it sounds likes the valves are way misadjusted.. do the SI have solid or hydraulic lifters?
regardless that car needs to go right back to the dealer...

as for lemon laws in Ohio a complete major failure like an engine only has to occur once before the car is determined a lemon.. otherwise it is any major system with same failure 3 times then the car will qualify as a lemon.
-Christopher

·
Pickle Hammer Power
4,294,967,287 Posts
ouch..that wwas painful..i hope they get er fixed up for ya soon

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I cannot believe there are this many engine problems!! At the same time, with thousands of "production" vehicles, there are bound to be a "few" Lemons out there - and that's what "Lemon Laws" are for. Are you SURE some of you Guys aren't "V-Tec'ing" them right out of the box??!! I know what some have written about "break-in" procedures, but Common Sense should tell you that WOT is NOT how to break-in Piston Rings, etc. When you get a new car any operational problems with your "old car" should be solved - that's one of the "reasons" to GET a new car!!! LESS problems!!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I cannot believe there are this many engine problems!! At the same time, with thousands of "production" vehicles, there are bound to be a "few" Lemons out there - and that's what "Lemon Laws" are for. Are you SURE some of you Guys aren't "V-Tec'ing" them right out of the box??!! I know what some have written about "break-in" procedures, but Common Sense should tell you that WOT is NOT how to break-in Piston Rings, etc. When you get a new car any operational problems with your "old car" should be solved - that's one of the "reasons" to GET a new car!!! LESS problems!!

There are other threads here about oil usage and break in procedure, and there is no correlation between the two. There are people with hard break ins and zero oil usage, and others with gentle break ins and oil consumption issues.

Plus, this isn't a small block Chevy V8 from the 1960's, and all those break in procedures you read about are for engines from that period, not something made in 2012.

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,769 Posts
Right, like JoeD said no correlation. I VTEC'd almost right out of the box, something like 20 miles on the car. It wasn't at 7,000 rpm shifts and WOT and do it again for a while, but I've got no oil consumption so far on mine and I'm over 10,500 miles.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
There are other threads here about oil usage and break in procedure, and there is no correlation between the two. There are people with hard break ins and zero oil usage, and others with gentle break ins and oil consumption issues.

Plus, this isn't a small block Chevy V8 from the 1960's, and all those break in procedures you read about are for engines from that period, not something made in 2012.
Really??!! Boy - I must be really STUPID!! Thanks for setting me straight about Engine Break-in Procedures.............Larry

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I don't know whats more scary after reading so much, the oil consumption or the dealer trying to fix it. Mine used a little before the first change and none so far since. Broke her in hard.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The problem is not from hitting VTEC. Its the crappy motors and programming in some of these cars. I average 29-30 mpg in the city and highway and thats with vtec once in a while. It reminds me of the VW's from 2000-2002, either they ran forever or they were utter shit. I got the latter and so did the op. Bad parts from the factory, lack of quality control...who knows. All I do know is, this will be my last honda.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I vtec out of the box many times,is call seating your piston ring in. All the professional in racing/custom aftermaket parts peoples I know do this with their fully built all motor/turbo cars.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I vtec out of the box many times,is call seating your piston ring in. All the professional in racing/custom aftermaket parts peoples I know do this with their fully built all motor/turbo cars.
....and THAT's is WHY your "name" fits you so perfectly - you think I haven't broken in engines..........Ferrari, Mazda, Plymouth Hemi, Corvette, Mitsu, Fiat,BMW ??...............you guys can say what you want.........I have never gone up to 7000RPM ONCE and I'm at 1900 miles......NO Oil Use - Break-in Oil is CLEAR - changing to my usual Oil - Royal Purple w RP Filter next week.....NO problems....but I REPEAT - in "production cars" - LEMONS DO exist - and it's never "pretty especially for the Owner!!!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts