9th Gen Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
....and THAT's is WHY your "name" fits you so perfectly - you think I haven't broken in engines..........Ferrari, Mazda, Plymouth Hemi, Corvette, Mitsu, Fiat,BMW ??...............you guys can say what you want.........I have never gone up to 7000RPM ONCE and I'm at 1900 miles......NO Oil Use - Break-in Oil is CLEAR - changing to my usual Oil - Royal Purple w RP Filter next week.....NO problems....but I REPEAT - in "production cars" - LEMONS DO exist - and it's never "pretty especially for the Owner!!!

Mine has 2600 miles and has only been above 6K RPM once, and that was last week. Funny how you love to name drop these high end cars, tell us how we should break our Honda engines in, and then in the same breath go against what Honda recommends for our engines first oil change. It's clearly stated by Honda that special break in additives are in the oil and the first oil change should not happen for at least 5K miles.

·
Registered
249 Posts
one of the worst things you can do is put synthetic oil in too quickly , however 1900 miles the rings have sufficient time to seat... if they havent by now they arent likely to.. the hone pattern on the bores wears off fairly quickly on an engine... everyone has their own philosophy about oil burning and break in... some say drive it like you stole it, others baby it to the max, and some in between... honestly of all the cars ive owned, ive done some of each at break-in and never had an oil loss issue....

has anyone actually been told what is causing the oil-loss? is it in the rings or loss in the valve train into the cylinders?
-Christopher

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Mine has 2600 miles and has only been above 6K RPM once, and that was last week. Funny how you love to name drop these high end cars, tell us how we should break our Honda engines in, and then in the same breath go against what Honda recommends for our engines first oil change. It's clearly stated by Honda that special break in additives are in the oil and the first oil change should not happen for at least 5K miles.

I'm not "telling" you anything - all I'm saying is that - FOR ME - I don't "rush" things for the first 2000 miles. It's up to YOU. I'm not throwing exotic cars in ur face - just talking about reality....................

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

Honda only "quotes" - in the Owners Manual - "do NOT WOT throttle for first 600 miles" - that's IT

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
From the Honda Owners link FAQ:

Why should I wait to change the oil the first time?

Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process.

American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
From the Honda Owners link FAQ:

Why should I wait to change the oil the first time?

Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process.
American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions.
Hi Joe - you seem to be really UP on the Honda Info - "where" is this Honda Link?? On line? The only items I can find in my Owner's Manual about this stuff is - on Page 213 Rt Hand side Honda says "During the first 600 miles/1000 km of operation avoid sudden acceleration or full throttle operation so as to not damage the engine or powertrain." As far as Oil & First Oilchange, only thing I find in the Manual is about "how" to check for "remaining oil life" using the MF Display. I sure don't want to go against Honda as far as their 1st Oilchange mileage recommendation, but I do a lot of "in traffic" driving and 5000 miles on "break-in" oil sounds pretty high. Lemme know about the Honda "Link" location.................and, again, I'm not throwing out "exotic car names" to be a smartass - just sharing my experiences over the years. I have a friend who owns a 2006 Aston Martin who - after his 3 yr/36,000 Mile Period - had his Auto Trans fail....it cost him $27,000 to replace it.........no lie!!! Insane!! Milage-wise he only had about 20,000 on the car when the trans failed..

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I'd heard about the special break in sauce when I bought my 8th gen LX, so I did some google work to confirm.
Go to the owners link site and register your car https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp

Once logged in, click Service/maintenance, then on the left side click maintenance FAQs, scroll down to motor oil FAQs.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I'd heard about the special break in sauce when I bought my 8th gen LX, so I did some google work to confirm.
Go to the owners link site and register your car https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp

Once logged in, click Service/maintenance, then on the left side click maintenance FAQs, scroll down to motor oil FAQs.
Thanks Joe - I got it - and was already registered - just didnt see the FAQ's - Honda still doesn't give an actual Milage Figure - so, I guess I'll wait at least 3000 before I change it. Still looks "clear" at 2000

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
A couple Honda Techs that I trust have both stated 50% mm or less, 5,000 miles or more. I don't know anybody qualified to argue with those guys so I followed their advice. Both said if you need to add oil during this time to use Honda full synth 0w20 so I did that as well. My motor seems happy with that technique so yours might too.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
A couple Honda Techs that I trust have both stated 50% mm or less, 5,000 miles or more. I don't know anybody qualified to argue with those guys so I followed their advice. Both said if you need to add oil during this time to use Honda full synth 0w20 so I did that as well. My motor seems happy with that technique so yours might too.
Interesting, does that mean the factory fill is full synthetic ?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought new engines would have a hard time seating the rings with synthetic due to the super low friction of the oil.

I added 3/4 of a quart at 1900 miles of Honda 0w 20 synthetic blend, if I need to add more before my first oil change should I use full synthetic ?

·
Registered
302 Posts
The 0-20 is a semi-synth.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

·
I Drive Too Much
4,526 Posts
Interesting, does that mean the factory fill is full synthetic ?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought new engines would have a hard time seating the rings with synthetic due to the super low friction of the oil.

I added 3/4 of a quart at 1900 miles of Honda 0w 20 synthetic blend, if I need to add more before my first oil change should I use full synthetic ?
The special sauce factory fill is synth-blend, adding either that or full synth would be fine before first oil change.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I cannot believe there are this many engine problems!! At the same time, with thousands of "production" vehicles, there are bound to be a "few" Lemons out there - and that's what "Lemon Laws" are for. Are you SURE some of you Guys aren't "V-Tec'ing" them right out of the box??!! I know what some have written about "break-in" procedures, but Common Sense should tell you that WOT is NOT how to break-in Piston Rings, etc. When you get a new car any operational problems with your "old car" should be solved - that's one of the "reasons" to GET a new car!!! LESS problems!!
these engines are broken in before they leave the factory. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
these engines are broken in before they leave the factory. Ask me how I know.
Ok how do you know? Lol

Brought to you by the one and only Kid Jdee
FB2 squad #17

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
saw it with my own two eyes. That's how.
Ohhh Daayum:0 explain yourself please! Lol

Brought to you by the one and only Kid Jdee
FB2 squad #17

·
Registered
114 Posts
Could be a lemon...read up on the lemon Law. My car's oil was bone [email protected] thirty percent I've been keeping an eye on it and on this go around so far its been good..Good Luck

Sent from my SPH-D700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

21 - 40 of 41 Posts