9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,

I'm a new Si owner, so I don't know much about this car. My Si has been making some ticking noises while idling and I'm not sure if it's something I should worry about or not. I don't drive it hard. Maybe 2-3 days a week I get the i-vtec engaged once or twice. But nothing for long duration, just some fast take off to get a feel for the car. My car is new, has less than 600 miles on it. I'm probably paranoid but the oil says 90% already and I am not sure if this ticking noise is normal or not. I don't remember hearing it at the dealership when testing it out.

To explain what I mean, it's a noise similar to that of this video. Maybe a little quieter.

Some advice on maintenance, from someone who has owned an Si for a long time would be extremely helpful. :eek3dancesmiley:

·
Registered
312 Posts
What has the ambient temperatures in your area been like? Its most likely being paranoid. I've found the Si tends to have a noisy valve train when cold but I also know that Honda uses LOUD injectors and PCV solenoids on the intake/TB.

Reactions: Digger

·
Registered
716 Posts
This sounds like what happened on my ex. I didn't notice it for a while until I installed a CAI and had the engine idling for 10+ minutes really listening to it. Now I notice it all the time. I think it was always there and I just never listened for it long enough. Once I started thinking back my old 2001 used to do it too and i never found it odd.... I was paranoid since this is my first new car.... As for the oil I don't have the Si but I've noticed a lot of threads on the Si burning oil on break in. Check a few of those out and see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What has the ambient temperatures in your area been like? Its most likely being paranoid. I've found the Si tends to have a noisy valve train when cold but I also know that Honda uses LOUD injectors and PCV solenoids on the intake/TB.
It has been cold at night (30 degrees), and warm during the day (70~). I live in Indiana, so the weather changes quite a lot.

This sounds like what happened on my ex. I didn't notice it for a while until I installed a CAI and had the engine idling for 10+ minutes really listening to it. Now I notice it all the time. I think it was always there and I just never listened for it long enough. Once I started thinking back my old 2001 used to do it too and i never found it odd.... I was paranoid since this is my first new car.... As for the oil I don't have the Si but I've noticed a lot of threads on the Si burning oil on break in. Check a few of those out and see if that helps.
I was just curious because my Grandfather drives a Honda Accord, it doesn't make this ticking noise. I understand that his car is more "luxurious" than my Si, but I was becoming concerned when I heard this noise. You would think a new vehicle wouldn't make such a noise. I suppose I'll keep checking stuff online and reading others comments as you suggested.

It is probably more noticeable on the Si because the Oil is so thin and moves like water (when hot), so it doesn't absorb as much of the sound. As for the Accord, the oil is more "standard" and have a higher viscosity.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It has been cold at night (30 degrees), and warm during the day (70~). I live in Indiana, so the weather changes quite a lot.

I was just curious because my Grandfather drives a Honda Accord, it doesn't make this ticking noise. I understand that his car is more "luxurious" than my Si, but I was becoming concerned when I heard this noise. You would think a new vehicle wouldn't make such a noise. I suppose I'll keep checking stuff online and reading others comments as you suggested.

It is probably more noticeable on the Si because the Oil is so thin and moves like water (when hot), so it doesn't absorb as much of the sound. As for the Accord, the oil is more "standard" and have a higher viscosity.
What yr an mode Accord ?
The K24 Accord (all Honda K24z's are pretty much the same now) do make ticking noise and is normal . As has been said the fuel injectors and the mechanical tappets make noise . If you think the noise is extreme bring it in to compare with others an see what they say .

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What yr an mode Accord ?
It's an older Accord (top of the line in 1999). The one I was referring to has less than 60,000 miles on it. The engine still sounds great and is quieter than my new Si, which I found to be weird.

I suppose there's nothing to worry about though. It still runs great, I'll just keep an eye on the Oil from here on out.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I listened to that video, there is no bad noises there. He is just referring to the Valve train noise. Can't do much about that as its normal.

·
Registered
396 Posts
So luckily I build Honda engines for a living, it's actually more injecter noise than valve train noise, nothing at all to worry about, completely normal. Injectors are shooting fuel into the cylinder at idle around 250 times a minute x4, they make a lot of noise. A lot of people hear it and think that the tappets are out of adjustment when it's just the injectors firing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got a 2012 Honda Civic Si with 6k miles and hear the same noise. You can hear it more distinctly inside the car. Like it was mentioned in the original posting, I did not hear at the Honda dealer. It may be because it's the first time you get to drive it and are not in tune with the little nuances of the engine. I did pick it up yesterday in my second ride since I bought it. It's driving me crazy because usually in my previous cars, this meant there was some type of problem with the engine.

The only thing that's giving me some comfort at this point is StevieOntario's reply. Is this something common in other Civic models?

·
Vanilla Ice is my hero!!!
539 Posts
It's the injectors that make most of the noise, the valve train adds to it as well. All my Si's have done this. RC550 injectors were quite noisy on my 99. On my SRT-10 it sounded absolutely horrible but bigger injectors make big noise and there were 10 of them. So, the noise is normal and there is nothing to worry about.

·
rotartsinimdA
4,050 Posts
It's the injectors that make most of the noise, the valve train adds to it as well. All my Si's have done this. RC550 injectors were quite noisy on my 99. On my SRT-10 it sounded absolutely horrible but bigger injectors make big noise and there were 10 of them. So, the noise is normal and there is nothing to worry about.
Thanks for info it's good to know I can rest easy

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
288 Posts
My Si makes an annoying metallic "tapping" sound similar to a bad lifter sound on a pushrod motor. But it doesn't do it at idle. It does it when you just barely press on the accelerator, and goes away by about 1700 rpm. It doesn't matter if you're stopped in neutral, or if you're driving. It seems to go away after it warms up.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
396 Posts
I just got a 2012 Honda Civic Si with 6k miles and hear the same noise. You can hear it more distinctly inside the car. Like it was mentioned in the original posting, I did not hear at the Honda dealer. It may be because it's the first time you get to drive it and are not in tune with the little nuances of the engine. I did pick it up yesterday in my second ride since I bought it. It's driving me crazy because usually in my previous cars, this meant there was some type of problem with the engine.

The only thing that's giving me some comfort at this point is StevieOntario's reply. Is this something common in other Civic models?
It's hard to say what is normal or not, it's so hard to hear over the injectors, most modern injectors especially Honda's are loud. When you lift the hood and hear all that ticking, that is the injectors. If you hear ticking INSIDE the car with the windows up THEN it MIGHT be a tappet or two out of adjustment. They are adjusted by hand at the factory, humans are not perfect, if you think it isn't normal then get it checked out, if they find them to be in spec then they could and likely will charge you. Could be a "bad" injector too that is louder then it should be...

Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Since it only has a 6k on it take it in and if it is a misset tappet then have them re-adjust it, sonething like that should be covered under warranty because the tappets shouldnt need re-adjusted after only 6k. well i didnt know that injectors were that loud that is good to know

Sent from my SGH-I727R using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 20 of 29 Posts