9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

once all fluid drain, tighten the 3/8 drain bolt back to spec, then hand tight the 17mm fill bolt and fill the 18mm refill bolt hole with trans fluid, id say fill about 2 and a quarter quarts, then tighten the 18mm refill bolt back to spec, then the 17mm fill bolt loosen that so all the over fill oil drain out then then that 17mm bolt back to spec. Make sure car leveled before attempting this. Enjoy. Notchyness shifting is gone, Shifts feels like butter.

·
Banned
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Lesson is that, to drain the trans fluid leave all the fill bolt and the refill bolt on just loosen the drain bolt so that the oil dont shoot out like in the video.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
^ yep, I would freak out if someone spilled oil all over my subframe like that,screw that!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
hahaha... Thanks for the video anyways! How soon should one change the manuel transmission fluid? And is Amsoil pretty well trusted for our transmission?

·
Banned
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hahaha... Thanks for the video anyways! How soon should one change the manuel transmission fluid? And is Amsoil pretty well trusted for our transmission?
My shifting felt notchy after 10k miles, like it'll feel like its having a hard time not going in gear properly, is say and makes it shifts like butter, I literly feel wayyyy more difference.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I know my trans doesn't feel like my ex' s 1995 civic sedans five speed trans( that's my only reference), I'm hoping that switching to amsoil trans oil will help.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Banned
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
does the car need to be perfectly level?
if you care then yea sure, but you only need it to be leveled so when you release the 17mm fill bolt next to the drain bolt to level it. So basicly you open that 17mm fill bolt to release access over filled trans oil. onces it stops draining from the 17mm fill bolt, close it and your good to go.

·
Registered
571 Posts

once all fluid drain, tighten the 3/8 drain bolt back to spec, then hand tight the 17mm fill bolt and fill the 18mm refill bolt hole with trans fluid, id say fill about 2 and a quarter quarts, then tighten the 18mm refill bolt back to spec, then the 17mm fill bolt loosen that so all the over fill oil drain out then then that 17mm bolt back to spec. Make sure car leveled before attempting this. Enjoy. Notchyness shifting is gone, Shifts feels like butter.
Have you used Amsoil MTF extensively before on the SI platform? I'm just curious because I always do a ton of research before adding something to my vehicle, I guess I can be really OCD about that.

I found that some members on previous SI's had bearing failure due to build up while using Amsoil MTF in the long term. This coming from some tear downs Emmanuel did (A friend of Vit's and operates a shop in Ventura CA- also owner of the orange 8th SI on the CT-e Supercharger record here). Some other members claimed they called the company directly and Amsoil did not advise this product to be used on the SI. Now, many can take it as hearsay and swear by it but the back of the bottle is pretty self-explanatory:
I highlighted some of the pertinent information.

Applications
Recommended for automotive and light-truck applications that require synchromesh transmission fluid. Applications include manual transmissions and transaxles such as New Venture NV T350, NV 1500, NV 2550, NV 3500, NV 3550, NV 5600, and Tremec T4, T5, T18, T56, T176, TKO500, TKO600, TR 3450 and TR 3550. Replaces MTF-94 fluid for Land Rover, MG, and Mini Cooper. Replaces Honda Genuine MTF fluid for manual transaxles and Texaco MTX fluid. Not for use in engines, hypoid rear axles, limited-slip or wet-clutch applications.

I believe we run a Helical LSD and this fluid advises the use against LS. I'm fearing the worst-case scenario when somebody brings in a busted tranny for warranty work and Honda deny the claim because of the fluid.

I do appreciate the video you made and it's one more thing I learned how to perform on my car. I'm just a little leary about that fluid on this particular application.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Thanks Millions for the heads up! And thanks OP for the video!

·
Banned
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you used Amsoil MTF extensively before on the SI platform? I'm just curious because I always do a ton of research before adding something to my vehicle, I guess I can be really OCD about that.

I found that some members on previous SI's had bearing failure due to build up while using Amsoil MTF in the long term. This coming from some tear downs Emmanuel did (A friend of Vit's and operates a shop in Ventura CA- also owner of the orange 8th SI on the CT-e Supercharger record here). Some other members claimed they called the company directly and Amsoil did not advise this product to be used on the SI. Now, many can take it as hearsay and swear by it but the back of the bottle is pretty self-explanatory:
I highlighted some of the pertinent information.

Applications
Recommended for automotive and light-truck applications that require synchromesh transmission fluid. Applications include manual transmissions and transaxles such as New Venture NV T350, NV 1500, NV 2550, NV 3500, NV 3550, NV 5600, and Tremec T4, T5, T18, T56, T176, TKO500, TKO600, TR 3450 and TR 3550. Replaces MTF-94 fluid for Land Rover, MG, and Mini Cooper. Replaces Honda Genuine MTF fluid for manual transaxles and Texaco MTX fluid. Not for use in engines, hypoid rear axles, limited-slip or wet-clutch applications.

I believe we run a Helical LSD and this fluid advises the use against LS. I'm fearing the worst-case scenario when somebody brings in a busted tranny for warranty work and Honda deny the claim because of the fluid.

I do appreciate the video you made and it's one more thing I learned how to perform on my car. I'm just a little leary about that fluid on this particular application.
I don't see why I can't use this product because on the website it showed this trans fluid so I'm guessing it has to be an operator error?

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
So is royal purple should be my next product?
This is a good question. I've used RP before with no problems, but again, straying away from OEM.

·
Registered
69 Posts
so yay or nay on AMSOIL? when i had my 08 Si, i swapped to AMSOIL at the first oil change, and it worked wonders. just wondering if anything has changed, maybe some info on AMSOIL being no bueno in our LSD

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,208 Posts
Are levels checked with the engine warm or cold?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have a 2012 LX with a 5 sped manual. Am I correct that it does not have a limited slip and the Amsoil would be OK to use. I cannot fid very much information on this site on the speed.

From Honda.com for 2012
6-speed manual transmission with limited-slip differential (exclusive on Civic Si)
Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) (exclusive on Civic Hybrid)
5-speed automatic transmission (available on Civic Sedan and Civic Coupe; std. on Civic HF, Civic GX, Civic EX w/navi, EX-L) 5-speed manual transmission (standard on Civic Sedan DX and LX and Coupe DX, LX, EX)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Why would you swap tranny fluid in such a new vehicle? Sounds counterproductive.
I changed the trans fluid at 20,000 miles and it significantly improved the cold shifting performance, it was starting to become exceptionally cumbersome to shift in cold temps for the first ten miles, it almost felt like the syncros were moving in syrup. Changed to fresh OEM fluid and it feels like new again, even in the cold.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts