·
Registered
545 Posts
i just test drive the accord today and oh boy how i regret buying my civic

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

B

·
0 Posts
Flash pro is coming out on Monday, buy it and I will get rid of rev hang. Done deal.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm curious why the 2008-2011 Accord's 2.4 liter was rated at 190HP, and now with direct injection and the same displacement, the horsepower rating has actually fallen to 185 (189 in the Sport).

·
Registered
545 Posts
I'm curious why the 2008-2011 Accord's 2.4 liter was rated at 190HP, and now with direct injection and the same displacement, the horsepower rating has actually fallen to 185 (189 in the Sport).
direct injection

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
400 Club here I come!
1,660 Posts
Direct injection gives more torque and if you notice they are using less of the power band, which provides a little more torque and a little more MPG.

·
Registered
288 Posts
True, I didn't look at the torque numbers. Still, most people only notice horsepower, and I'd bet that at least 75% of Accord buyers don't even know what torque is. So I guess I'm surprised Honda didn't manage to pull at least a couple more HP out of the new setup, even if just for marketing reasons, to claim "forward progress" in a way that most buyers can understand.

The Sport looks very interesting. I'd have a very hard time deciding between the Sport and an EX V6. Now....if they would just make the manual trans avaialble in the sedan V6......but I digress. I hate how Honda packages/bundles features into all-or-nothing model levels. I'd actually be interested in a manual trans Sport, but I'd like to be able to get it with the LED tailights, sunroof, and nicer touch screen audio, and maybe one or two other small things that are only available on the higher models.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The Si does a little better than that, closer to 6.5 and I'm sure under some conditions some drivers can get even a little lower. I am pretty sure a 4 cyl Accord, even with a manual trans, will get nowhere near sub-7 0-60. IIRC the previous generation 4cyl was well over 8 seconds, and they weren't THAT much heavier.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
The Si does a little better than that, closer to 6.5 and I'm sure under some conditions some drivers can get even a little lower. I am pretty sure a 4 cyl Accord, even with a manual trans, will get nowhere near sub-7 0-60. IIRC the previous generation 4cyl was well over 8 seconds, and they weren't THAT much heavier.

Read the Car and Driver Instrumented Road Test

·
Registered
288 Posts
Wow I didn't think dropping a little weight while adding just a few lb-ft of torque would make that much of a difference. I mean, from 8.2 in the previous gen sedan manual to 6.8 in the '13 Sport manual? Almost a second and a half???? That sounds fishy, when you think of the change in power to weight ratio necessary to make that much of an improvement, and then look at the relatively small change in that ratio between the 2 cars.

Still, damn....now I really am tempted to look into trading my Si in on a Sport.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I also like the 2013 Accord and have been considering it over the lackluster Si(IMO). For those of thinking about it, let me tell you a little secret about how Honda hates you.

Should you want a 2 door Accord and also want to shift manually, and want the Accord closest to the Civic means you want the EX model. Guess what? You have one, single exterior color "choice"...BLACK.

I've owned 2 black Civics in the past and while I think it's an awesome color, it is such a pain in the ass to keep clean and every single tiny little scratch shows up from a mile away. Also living in Texas makes black a silly choice because the color alone can make the interior of the car almost 10F higher!

Coupe, EX, manual...one color. In Canada you can choose from numerous colors. Get a 4 door(I don't have kids, thx), and you have more choice. Honda hates coupe/manual drivers, that's why they ruined the Civic with rev-hang, so you cave in and adopt the womanual(auto).

Wow I didn't think dropping a little weight while adding just a few lb-ft of torque would make that much of a difference. I mean, from 8.2 in the previous gen sedan manual to 6.8 in the '13 Sport manual? Almost a second and a half????

The direct injection is also partly responsible.

so how much money did you lose after trading in your pos si?? I know for the fact after you drive off that lot 5k when down the drain.
Total horseshit. My 3.5 year old Si lost $3000 with 67000+ miles, including being valued in average condition versus the excellent it was, and the high mileage penalty.

The idea that cars depreciate like rocks only counts when trading in, which is the lowest possible value to give a vehicle. It also only applies to shitty brands, not Hondas and Toyotas.

If what you say has any validity at all, then you would have to accept that the car loses $5k instantly AND doesn't lose a single penny for the next 3-4 years. That of course is absurd.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Wow I didn't think dropping a little weight while adding just a few lb-ft of torque would make that much of a difference. I mean, from 8.2 in the previous gen sedan manual to 6.8 in the '13 Sport manual? Almost a second and a half???? That sounds fishy, when you think of the change in power to weight ratio necessary to make that much of an improvement, and then look at the relatively small change in that ratio between the 2 cars.

Still, damn....now I really am tempted to look into trading my Si in on a Sport.

Direct injection and 6 speed manual close ratio gears...

The gears are the biggest acceleration increase.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The Accord really is light years ahead of the Civic in just about every single capacity. If I could afford it, I would upgrade to an Accord coupe in a heartbeat - the refinement is worth every extra penny.

I could've probably done an LX-S coupe, but I wanted more options. And now, you can't get a stick shift in almost half of the colors for 2013 - including the blue (unless its an EX-L V6) . That effectively turned me off of even considering it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yeah I was a little turned off by the fact you only get 2 color choices with a Sport sedan manual. Granted, the Steel Metallic is nice, but every other one you see will either be the same color or black.

·
Raspy is a bad thing?
4,535 Posts
The V6 blue coupe is sharp. Most def wouldve went that route if funds werent an issue. Also think its slightly overpriced as most all new cars are nowadays.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
You guys bashing our 9th Gen are making me sick. Whatever happened to "pride of ownership"?

I really like my SI coupe. Of course the rev-hang is annoying, but most of us bought our SI's expecting to modify them. Flashpro is basically assumed to be the fix, as well as an open door to lots and lots of fun!

I personally prefer a lighter-weight vehicle with decent power and MPG. The Civic SI coupe fit the bill!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Cars aren't overpriced. The currency we use isn't worth shit nowadays. Natural progression.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Just letting you know that I'll be Road/Track Testing the new Accord as a member of Car & Driver Road Test "Editors For The Day" Team on Nov 17 down in Miami. The Models I'm driving are: Accord, Ford Fusion, Hyundai Sonata and Nissan Altima - I'm quite sure none will be "Manuals" - but I'll let you know what I found out on the Accord after the Tests. Once again - I'm NOT "bashing" the Si - I'm just commenting on my observations. The Si Sedan I've owned since May of this year is for the most part PERFECT for me - I'm just annoyed by the Rev Hang - and - I know it can be fixed wiht the Flashpro when it's out................I'll keep you all posted.....

41 - 60 of 75 Posts