9th Gen Civic Forum banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Keep in mind too, that the timing belt on the V6 accord has to be changed a couple times during the life of the vehicle, something that I believe we SI owners dont have to do. That can be very costly.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
Keep in mind too, that the timing belt on the V6 accord has to be changed a couple times during the life of the vehicle, something that I believe we SI owners dont have to do. That can be very costly.
Pretty sure I'll be testing a 2.4L 4-cyl Accord vs the V6 - and YES - the Timing Belt relpacement issue on the non-chain-driven-cam type engines is a definite item to consider in the long run. I had that same issue on my '07 V6 Galant Ralliart coming up on 50,000 miles - and it was going to cost me at leat $1500 plus having the car Out-of-Service for 2 days to have it done. NOT fun................OR cheap!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
If you do ever buy a vehicle in the future that has this, try to negotiate for the dealer to include the first replacement with the purchase of the vehicle.

:pinkreadtherules:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
If you do ever buy a vehicle in the future that has this, try to negotiate for the dealer to include the first replacement with the purchase of the vehicle.

:pinkreadtherules:
One of the big reasons I went with the Si was that it has Timing CHAINS and not "belts" - it was my 1st Honda - but was always impressed with Honda/Acura Engineering......

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
sh it never gonna happen,plus more money for tech :)
I started negotiating with one of the sales guys, and I told him that this was absolutely imperative. He seemed like he was considering it. I was looking at the V6 manual (2012).

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
That's why I thought I could get away with it. :giggle:

Figured I could get him to throw the service dept under a bus, and promise something in writing that they'd have to agree to later.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #70 (Edited)
Well I told you guys I'd get back to you after doing the C&D Editor For The Day Road Testing of the new Accord......tested 5 different sedans on 2 different "tight" courses. It was a "comparison/opinion" test......Hyundai Sonata, Toyota Camry, Nissan Altima, Ford Fusion and Accord - all 4-door sedans and all with Autos (sorry!!) - have to say that the "standout" of the 5 is the Fusion - which I didn't expect - it's larger and heavier - and - costs more. The Accord would have come in ahead of the Fusion but the new CVT Auto dropped it to 2nd. The new "Earthdreams 2.4" is located in the BIG engine compartment where you can work on just about anything with ease - meaning the Spark Plugs (yeah I KNOW Honda says 100,000 miles!!). Fusion was eye-opening especially in the handling & quality departments. Overall I much more prefer the size of my Si PLUS the Manual.....but then there's the Rev Hang (which Flashpro will cure right??!!) - so that's my "report and opinion"........nothing more nothing less.........

·
Registered
288 Posts
It really is too bad that if you want a manual trans in the Fusion, you have to get the mid-level 1.6 liter. The larger motor (2.0 liter I think?) with a 6 speed manual would make for a great family sedan package. Especially if you didn't need to step up to the expensive Platinum trim and get a bunch of features you don't want.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
It really is too bad that if you want a manual trans in the Fusion, you have to get the mid-level 1.6 liter. The larger motor (2.0 liter I think?) with a 6 speed manual would make for a great family sedan package. Especially if you didn't need to step up to the expensive Platinum trim and get a bunch of features you don't want.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
I really dont know too much about the Fusion - but it IS BIG!! and I wanted to downsize after my 2007 Mitsu Galant Ralliart......really a GREAT presentation tho - and - made in MEXICO!!!!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
6spd manual vtec 270+ hfp accord is amazing. The 2013 I drove...damn..makes me want to afford one of those over my Si. Too bad I can't afford 40k out the door. Guess I'll enjoy the life of my Si :)

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,252 Posts
Hmm, honda state the sport accord 0-60 time is 6.8, i remember they state 12 SI like 6.9.........
so which is faster ?
6.8 is usually faster than 6.9.

(Sorry, had to do it! :) )

61 - 75 of 75 Posts