9th Gen Civic Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LAS VEGAS — Acura will offer U.S. buyers its first hybrid system in the all-new 2013 Acura ILX sedan. TheCivic-based compact makes its world debut in early January at the 2012 Detroit Auto Show and goes on sale next spring, priced from "well below $30,000," according to Acura.
Acura, which last year marked its 25th year as Honda's premium brand, sees the 2013 ILX as the anchor in a new strategy to capture entry-luxury buyers and keep them in the fold.
Toward that goal, Acura is testing a new design vocabulary on the ILX that it calls "aero-fused dynamics." The full-year sales target for the car is 40,000 units.
The front-wheel-drive ILX will come with a choice of three powertrains, including a 2.0-liter four-cylinder gasoline engine with a five-speed automatic transmission and a 2.4-liter four with a six-speed automatic.
Acura also will market the 2013 ILX with a hybrid gasoline-electric drivetrain derived from the Civic Hybrid, which is based around a 93-horsepower 1.5-liter four-cylinder engine and a continuously variable automatic transmission.
The 2012 Civic Hybrid is rated by the EPA at 44 mpg in city driving and 44 mpg on the highway. Acura said its version of the hybrid system will be tuned more for performance and less for fuel economy.
The 2013 ILX will offer a variety of advanced features, including a rear camera, HDD and wireless access to Pandora (Web radio) and text messaging (SMS).
A concept version of the car will be shown in Detroit in January with huge cross-drilled brake rotors, aggressive 19-inch five-spoke rims and 235/35ZR19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires — none of which will be offered on the production ILX.
Inside Line says: Acura says there are no plans for now to add an ILX coupe.

2013 Acura ILX Revealed: 2012 Detroit Auto Show

·
Registered
976 Posts
Sounds like my next lease. :thumb:

·
Registered
980 Posts
Sound like a total dud to me... unless they can produce a hotrod 240hp+ Type-S with 6MT/LSD, which you can tell, just isn't going to happen.

Low spec 2.0L non-turbo auto in the entry level luxury class is way too small an engine to even bother with. It will be quite the dog of a performer.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sound like a total dud to me... unless they can produce a hotrod 240hp+ Type-S with 6MT/LSD, which you can tell, just isn't going to happen.

Low spec 2.0L non-turbo auto in the entry level luxury class is way too small an engine to even bother with. It will be quite the dog of a performer.
People don't look at the spec's as much as you think anymore, especially the young crowd, if it looks cool that's all they care about, along with price of course.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Don't know about that - plenty of kids here in their 300+HP Mustangs. Price does matter of course, and start in the low 20s for 300+HP nets buyers.

All the ILX offers is a mix of puny performance with the 2.0, and faux luxury.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Don't know about that - plenty of kids here in their 300+HP Mustangs. Price does matter of course, and start in the low 20s for 300+HP nets buyers.

All the ILX offers is a mix of puny performance with the 2.0, and faux luxury.
Kids wont be the target market. It will likely be retirees.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Kids wont be the target market. It will likely be retirees.
Retirees want room in their rides with easy entry/exit - this ILX sounds like its shaped totally wrong for retirees. A FWD car about the size of the current TSX is right for retirees. Here's a problem - Honda doesn't even know who they're trying to sell the car to.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The article says who they are targeting, it isn't retired folk.

·
Registered
107 Posts
if there was an awd option, then this would be a whole different story haha

·
Registered
794 Posts
I'm game. Can't wait to see the concept.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Acura ILX

Anyone catch the Acura press conference? ILX looks alright, like a mish-mash of lux-car designs...wonder if the interior is any better than the Civic's...

2013-Acura-ILX-front-three-quarter.jpg 2013-Acura-ILX-rear-three-quarters.jpg

Acura ILX - 2012 Detroit Auto Show - Motor Trend

The lineup of ILX models will include an entry-level model powered by a 2.0-liter inline 4-cylinder engine; a high-performance model with a 2.4-liter inline 4-cylinder engine paired with a six-speed manual transmission; and a 1.5-liter gasoline-electric hybrid
powertrain, Acura’s first-ever hybrid offering.

The ILX will feature a high–quality, well-appointed interior that is smart, spacious and sporty. It will offer a number of new, high-value features, including a smart entry keyless access system and pushbutton start, along with Pandora internet radio interface and SMS text message function for smart connectivity with the world.

Would that be the K20, K24 and the HCH Hybrid? Interesting. I'm betting the Civic refresh will not be getting the power bump or even a DI engine that everyone seems to think is coming.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Definitely want the new Acura ILX over the Civic Si

Just watched the live broadcast from Detroit and must say the new Acura ILX looks so sweet! Glad I passed on a 2012 Si, definitely prefer this new luxury sport sedan. Plus it will have the 2.4 L so I don't think the 2.4 L is going away any time soon like some have thought. Check out the new ILX here 2013 Acura | Future Vehicles - ILX | Acura.com I hope you like it as much as I do! Good things await!

1 - 20 of 148 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.