9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - please help me

This has been such an issue and I’m losing my mind at this point. I’ll try to keep this as short as I can.

I have a 2013 Civic LX Sedan, no sunroof. It downpoured here in Chicagoland for like three days straight back in August. I get to my car after those three days (I don’t drive much), and there is about 3 inches of water standing in the footwell of the backseat. I get the carpet removed and cleaned to prevent mold.

I then take the car to the dealer to see what’s up. The dealer said the windshield was leaking and needed resealed, and they recommended a local windshield shop. I took my car to the windshield shop, and they said the windshield wasn’t leaking at all, but that there was a grommet missing in the driver’s wheel well, leaking water in from under the hood release latch. They patched up the grommet and water tested it, and it was fine.

Now, it rained again. Not a lot of rain, but I check on my car again, and the footwell is damp. This time, it’s only wet in one area under the brake pedal. The rest of the carpet seems fine.

I’m tired of taking my car to multiple places, paying them hundreds of $$$, and not being able to get this solved. I’ve done so much research on this issue - I checked all my weatherstripping, the drainage for the trunk, windshield, lights, etc. I’m to the point where I’m seriously considering getting rid of this car. I have put a lot of work into it and really want to keep it, but this is becoming more effort than it’s worth.

[Photos] - second photo shows where the floor is currently wet. I had a WeatherTech floor mat down, so it was wet underneath that

·
Registered
218 Posts
go somewhere with a garden hose or a self serve car wash, get a bright light under the dash and have someone soak the windshield and cowl area.
look for the drips...

alternatively remove the plastic cowl below the windshield, and make sure its not full of organic debris thats plugging the drain holes, those drain holes allow the water to flow to the ground behind the fenders.

if water is building up in that area it will find other pathways out, like your interior.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
go somewhere with a garden hose or a self serve car wash, get a bright light under the dash and have someone soak the windshield and cowl area.
look for the drips...
So I did this, and didn’t find any water coming in at all

alternatively remove the plastic cowl below the windshield
Good idea- by “plastic cowl”, do you mean the fresh air intake on the exterior?

Thanks!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts