9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
The infamous 1st gear grind has been talked about to death on here. You fix it by getting an aftermarket clutch.
Source: my car had it, I put in a clutchmasters fx300, and it went away and never came back. The springs on the old friction plate looked like shit when I took it out, so I'm assuming that's what causes it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The infamous 1st gear grind has been talked about to death on here. You fix it by getting an aftermarket clutch.
Source: my car had it, I put in a clutchmasters fx300, and it went away and never came back. The springs on the old friction plate looked like shit when I took it out, so I'm assuming that's what causes it.
ahh man, alright. that's gonna be expensive then lol. would it be safe to drive it for a little while until I can get my money saved up or is it one of those repairs where it has to be done asap?

·
Registered
43 Posts
ahh man, alright. that's gonna be expensive then lol. would it be safe to drive it for a little while until I can get my money saved up or is it one of those repairs where it has to be done asap?
General consensus seems to be that it doesn't even need to be fixed, it just sounds completely awful and made me cringe every time it happened. I wouldn't worry about it if you don't want to spend the money, Honda never offered a recall because it doesn't seem to have any ill effect on the transmission itself or the drivability of the car. My car started doing it at just 35k miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
General consensus seems to be that it doesn't even need to be fixed, it just sounds completely awful and made me cringe every time it happened. I wouldn't worry about it if you don't want to spend the money, Honda never offered a recall because it doesn't seem to have any ill effect on the transmission itself or the drivability of the car. My car started doing it at just 35k miles.
okay, that actually reassures my concerns a lot, thank you. in that case, I'll take my time and save up to repair it in the future. thank you again

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my 2015 SI as well. Bought it brand new and at 55k it started to make that noise. Took it to Honda multiple times (Under warranty) and they couldn’t replicate it nor could I. It happened out of the blue but I noticed if your stopped on an incline/hill and put it into 1st and drive it up the hill, it tends to happen more often (see if you can replicate it). My car was bone stock (except for my K&N intake) since I bought it and finally sold it in 2021 with about 135k miles on it. I Never fixed the issue but it never caused me any issues either. It was just an annoying sound and my game plan was to replace the clutch in the future had I still had the car. IMO and from my experience with my car being stock, just live with it or replace the clutch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts