9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
I need help solving my brake issues on my 2013 civic si sedan, it has 50,000 miles or just over 80,000km and I had the rear passenger side brake pads sticking and overheat prematurely wearing the pads completely out, I replaced the rear pads and rotors, cleaned everything up and couldn’t find any problems during the disassembly and or reassembly process, nothing seemed to be locked up or sticking but a few weeks later I started getting a chirp chirp chirp from the rear passenger side again and now the pads are pretty much toast again. Is there any known parking brake issues or caliber problems that anyone has dealt with? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I’m totally frustrated! Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Hi everyone
I need help solving my brake issues on my 2013 civic si sedan, it has 50,000 miles or just over 80,000km and I had the rear passenger side brake pads sticking and overheat prematurely wearing the pads completely out, I replaced the rear pads and rotors, cleaned everything up and couldn’t find any problems during the disassembly and or reassembly process, nothing seemed to be locked up or sticking but a few weeks later I started getting a chirp chirp chirp from the rear passenger side again and now the pads are pretty much toast again. Is there any known parking brake issues or caliber problems that anyone has dealt with? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I’m totally frustrated! Thank you all in advance.
Did you grease everything like crazy during reassembly.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Here's my notes from another thread, on my experience/trouble/success with pad changes on my '13 si.

I've been messing around with my brakes a lot lately (2013 SI) and I think I could probably open a brake shop now with all I learned.
Regarding your pins bolts, the factory torque is 17 on the rears and 25 on the front. They're not on there very tight, but if you live in the rust belt like me, they may be a little crusty. They will spin the pins themselves, but you would see it happening.
Remember that since the bolt heads are facing away from you, it's right-loosey, lefty-tighty. Use a 1/2" wrench with a rubber mallet, make sure the socket is a good fit. Spray it good with liquid wrench first and let it marinate for 10 minutes, then give it a few hard whacks, clockwise.

Some other notes that I learned from experience in the past few weeks:
Use a wire wheel to remove all the rust/gunk under where the stainless clips touch the caliper bracket, then add lube in there and put fresh clips on, or clean your old ones to look like new. The pads should be able to slide fine, not stick.

I had seized front pins. You should clean or replace, and lube, the caliper pins every time you're in here messing around with the brakes.

Be careful of orientation of upper and lower caliper pins. They're specific in front and in back.

Lube the backs of the pads where they make contact.

Bleed your brakes a little after pushing pistons back in.

The front pin heads are shaped to make contact against the caliper bracket to stop rotation. Make sure you don't sandwich it by accident.

If you take the caliper brackets off to clean them up in a vice, add some medium loctite and torque to 80 front and 55 rear when reattaching.

For lube, I like the Permatex purple ceramic stuff for everything but the pins, where I just use 3m silicone paste.
Other thread: Brake change
Link to great instructional video:

·
Registered
47 Posts
caliper piston pushes back ok? if you hit the brakes then try and spin the wheel is it hard to move? if so either your caliper is seized or a bad flex line not letting fluid to go back after letting off the brake.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I believe the parking brake cable not releasing will keep pad in contact. If they have worn in weeks I would look there first.

·
Registered
36 Posts
On the rear calipers don't you have to spin that part that pushes on the pad back? If you didnt, you just put fresh pads where your old ones was left off. I'm pretty sure you did or the pads would be hard to go in with it being pushed out.
Maybe the ebrake? It splits to each side since it's on one side. Check if that cable is stuck.
Also you had to remove the cable from the caliper while changing rotors. Make sure its hooked back on correctly.
Could be seized where the hook is on the calipers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone
You likely need to replace the caliper and bleed the system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts