9th Gen Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I will do like I did to my 2005 HCH. I will change the oil every 4K miles, since I do severe driving conditions (almost 100% city driving). That car drove pretty smoothly and I sold it at almost 84 K miles. At over 2700 miles, the car said I still have 70 % oil life. I am going with my good experiences. It is worth the extra money to have your car run so smoothly over the long term.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Make sure the first oil change goes to 15 percent on the MM. The engine is clean and the break in oil has the additives that need to deposited on the engine internals. After that you can change the oil as frequent as you want after 3000 miles after the oil change but its just wasting oil and money.

Oil is good to at least 7500 miles in most cases and with the cleaner fuels and better engines its safe. Just look at some UOA and you will see that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I've been getting better mileage lately. Around 46-49 mpg a tank. But the i-Mid claim of my mpg is always 1-2 mpg higher than real world mpg (real world mpg calculated by dividing the miles driven since last fill up by the gallons needed to fully fill-up). Still don't know how people are getting 50 mpg easy, unless they are doing almost exclusively highway travelling. My mpg almost always goes down as I drive city, but goes up if I get a traffic-less highway run (unless my car is climbing mountains).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello HCH-III owners. Just got a new 2013 last monday. Just found this forum and now I am worried that I have been driving it wrong! I have already put 400 miles on it, with the computer telling me that I am getting >50 MPG. But this is because I have a 105 mile round trip to/from work, mostly on roads with 45 mph speed limits and I drive like a grandma. My dealer told me "there is no more engine break in, just drive like you would normally drive it". I drove it like i drove the car that it replaced, a 1995 5-speed civic lx with 210K miles on it, and routinely achieved >40 mpg on the same trip because i drive like a grandma.

WHat do you recommend I do to even out the driving so the engine is properly broken in? I still have about 200 range miles according to the computer. I chose this car over the prius because 1)not a lot of braking on my work trip 2) made in USA and 3) doesn't look like a prius.:biggrin:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, after my first disappointing tank (47 MPG or so) I have been able to pull off 2 mid-50 MPG tanks, so I think my worries are over about the break-in. I suppose my only issue is wondering why i can only use half my battery. I'm sure there is a perfectly good reason for this but it does not make common sense. If I can't use it, why tease me by showing it to me? Love the car otherwise, and getting better mileage than the prius crew at work.

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,762 Posts
Well, after my first disappointing tank (47 MPG or so) I have been able to pull off 2 mid-50 MPG tanks, so I think my worries are over about the break-in. I suppose my only issue is wondering why i can only use half my battery. I'm sure there is a perfectly good reason for this but it does not make common sense. If I can't use it, why tease me by showing it to me? Love the car otherwise, and getting better mileage than the prius crew at work.
Isn't they HCH only rated 44? Why be disappointed with 47?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi boomer;

It's wonderful to know that your hybrid mpg is able to reach mid-50 mpg.

Mine is currently "stuck" at about 46mpg (i-MID shows average of 18.5km/L), and was wondering why I could not go any better.

A few questions came to my mind,

a. Did you run your AC or was the AC in OFF (over here, we need to keep the AC on as the temperature is hot in the day, & the other reason is that the humidity is really high, even at night...)

b. Do you do a lot of highway trip? 'cos, I find that though Honda say that highway & city returns the same 44mpg, I still find the highway mpg better (as compare to start-stop traffic in the city).

c. Do you "reset" the trip for every tank you refill? 'cos I did that previously & the average reading for the mpg as well as the range, can vary a lot initially, and subsequently, "stabilise" as the mileage increase, as such, I'd since "de-select" the "auto-trip reset" feature.

Thanks in advance for sharing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
@FooBird: Yes, disappointed with 47 - I drive like a no-legged grandma and use Econ all the time. The EPA numbers are for "normal" driving with Econ off. I drive 105 miles round trip to work and got this vehicle to save lots of gas money over the next few years. This car replaced a '95 civic manual that i could routinely get 42 MPG on the same trip, so only getting 47 made me feel like I wasn't getting my money's worth.

@kck: I only run the A/C when I am carpooling - and then I am constantly turning it on and off when i need power. yes, i suffer with the windows cracked about 1 inch. My work trip starts with about 20 miles of traffic lights that loooove to catch me (driving me totally insane), i normally only pull in the mid-40 MPG during that part, but the last 32 miles are smooth mostly flat sailing at 45-55 MPG with few lights and not much traffic. The trip computer tells me i am getting close to 60 MPG, but fuelly is telling me I am really in the mid to upper 50's for MPG. So yes, maybe 70% "highway" mileage on flat 2 lane roads with a 45 MPH speed limit. I do have the trip computer auto-reset the trip A, but with fuelly I use the odometer reading so I think it is right.

We'll see how it goes. I think the 47 MPG might have been due to the tank not being completely filled by the dealer, and me completely filling it the second time.Still not sure how much I should top off, though - trying to be consistent because that would vary the MPG pretty dramatically.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi boomer;

Thanks for the sharing. Yes, good to do the filling to get a better estimate on the mpg.

Over here, the "pump attendant" are always very helpful & will attend to the customers at the gas station. So when we do a D-I-Y, they kinda get "un-used-to-feeling".

So, when I do a D-I-Y filling, I normally stop when I can see the gas at the flapper area (need to be patient though to avoid any spillage). Fortunately, the gas station near my home is not too crowded, otherwise, there will be a lot of frowning (ha-ha).

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Honestly, you'll get some outstanding fuel economy - give it some time. You'll have a bad tank now and again, but 36 mpg is hardly a 'bad' tank when you really think about it, even if the EPA estimates are way higher. There's a LOT of factors that go into it - including you learning how to milk the most MPG out of the car, and you just bought it...you're both learning, look at it that way.

Frankly, the CVT in the Civic Hybrid (even last generation) was so vastly superior to the 5AT that's in the regular Civics I can't even fathom considering buying a non-Si, non-Hybrid Civic ever again (though the 9th gen's automatic transmission was vastly improved, I think).

Keep us posted - and never rely on the i-Mids fuel economy estimates. While mine is usually pretty close, its usually off by 1-2 mpg...it once told me I got 43 mpg in my Si on a road trip...it was more like 38, which is still great, but....

To calculate fuel economy (actual), always fill the tank completely up and reset the trip meter for your first time. Drive it til you usually fill up again, and take the trip meter mileage you had on that tank and divide it by the gallons of gas you put in the car - that's your actual, real-world MPG.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Vehicle Trip CalculationActual Calculation (Fuelly)
46.842.8 (dealer did not completely fill tank)
Yes, so I had my 4th fill-up yesterday. Because I did not fill to the rim on the third fill-up, my real-world mileage was not spectacular. I have been only filling to the very top if I am about to drive a long distance - I figure the evaporation problem will only exist if I leave it topped-off in the garage.

So far I am very happy with the mileage but I am working hard to justify the expense of the hybrid over a manual transmission civic. My current mileage is over 61 MPG but my wife is driving it today so I'm sure it will be into the mid-50's very soon. I can hear it crying to me right now as I type...

Of course trying to increase the MPG in her new Odyssey is even more of a challenge… but man that thing can coast forever! :eek3dancesmiley:

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,762 Posts
Vehicle Trip CalculationActual Calculation (Fuelly)
46.842.8 (dealer did not completely fill tank)
Yes, so I had my 4th fill-up yesterday. Because I did not fill to the rim on the third fill-up, my real-world mileage was not spectacular. I have been only filling to the very top if I am about to drive a long distance - I figure the evaporation problem will only exist if I leave it topped-off in the garage.

So far I am very happy with the mileage but I am working hard to justify the expense of the hybrid over a manual transmission civic. My current mileage is over 61 MPG but my wife is driving it today so I'm sure it will be into the mid-50's very soon. I can hear it crying to me right now as I type...

Of course trying to increase the MPG in her new Odyssey is even more of a challenge… but man that thing can coast forever! :eek3dancesmiley:
That is actually quite impressive. Most of the time, especially at highway speeds (60-70 mph), you get penalized in the hybrid because of the extra weight due to the e-motor and batteries (can be upwards of 10% of the total weight of the car), lack support from the e-motor, and small engine. Hybrids just don't pay off for that type of highway drive, but totally shine in stop and go, showing 50% or more economy than the non-hybrid. But, how you're running the car, it looks like you're getting the best of both worlds, a hybrid drivetrain and a Civic.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You are correct - the interstate driving i do (about 10 miles of the 105 mile roundtrip to/from work) tends to drop my avg MPG from the high 50's into the low 50's. But once I get back into side streets where I can EV around a bit I can get it up close to my holy grail of 60 MPG.

I have also started to drop into neutral a bit in the neighborhoods since i know I can coast quite a while and just trickle the gas to maintain the idle when my battery is half empty and it tries to force recharge. I really hate that. Wish there was a way to manually stop the force recharge. It would be totally awesome if Honda let you play with the programming to let you turn on/off some of the features - let me keep driving without recharging because i know there are red lights ahead!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Geez. You guys are routinely going into the 50+ mpg. I get it once in a while. Yeah, I do have to pass lines of cars sometimes. I have to go to clients. I can't just stay on the road and coast. I am routinely getting 43-44 mpg, and that is taking into account the one day per week when I get the low 30s driving to a train station 5.7 miles each way as my total miles for the day. I have had the car for over 6 months and am certainly not complaining about my mpgs. People are actually pretty jealous of it! I still get people asking about my car, and just last week, one guy told me that his next car was probably going to be a hybrid. He was driving a Volvo. LOL

They are still telling me to wait to get the oil & lube. My online garage tells me that I am overdue for the tire rotation, and yesterday, it said my tires would last another year. OMG. Somebody is out of their mind! I have to be at the dealership for one of those new car classes next Tuesday evening. If they don''t want to do the oil & lube and tire rotation then, I will wait about another week, and get the dealer that I bought my previous hybrid from to do the work.

Yes, I am getting very close to that all important 20% of oil life point. I got to 30% at 5690 or so. That means, I should have it around 6500. I am now at 6090 and have several places to go before the place where I bought this HCH. My salesman told me not to do the work until the 20% of oil life point.

It should be interesting to learn more about my car, even though I have had it over 6 months. I hope I can figure out the customizing things.

I am very happy with my 13 HCH! Remember, this is my second HCH. BTW, the woman who bought my 2005 HCH from me seems pretty happy with it. I figured as much, since I took such good care of it. I am glad I moved up to a safer and higher tech car, without changing the model I drive!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah, I took the HCH-III on a trip to Chattanooga, TN from New York. Those hills are a mpg killer! On the way back, having the trunk completely full and with the wife and kids really killed my mileage. Best I could pull off was in the upper 40's. Driving down without the kids and an empty trunk I managed low 50's for mpg, no thanks to the wife putting it in cruise control. Certainly turned my green eyes blue! That was tough to recover from. Now that I am back home on the flatlands I am again in the mid 50's so I can breathe easier.

Got my tier 2 award driving around town down south. Have about 5.5K miles on her, only had her 2 months. Probably will take the Odyssey down next time for comfort. I admit that the civic is not the ideal long-trip vehicle...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi boomer0127;

Still new to the hybrid & want to know you guys experience on the hybrid.

The route that I do on the highway here, have some rather steep bridges.

On the uphill, I believe the mpg suffers, and this have me thinking about if there is something that the hybrid system can do, or design to do, to recover back the "potential-energy" that was built-up after the uphill journey.

So, this was what I did on my last few trips on the highway:

1. On the downhill, if I ease off the gas pedal & let it "coast" (of cos making sure there are no traffic behind me, so as not to road-hog) & let mpg display bars max out, it does seems to "recover" back the mpg.

2. I'd tried also on the uphill by accelerating (but stay within the speed limit permitted) to somewhere mid-point of the slope, and slowly ease off the gas pedal (as seen with a few bars increase on the mpg display) and thereafter, maintaining a very slow drop in the speed until the top of the slope (~ 1-5km/h), it also seems to help in the mpg.

Before going thru these trial, my mpg was about 18.8km/l (equivalent to 44.2 mpg (US) or 53.1 mpg (UK)).

And after a couple of trips experimenting with the above method, my mpg has slowly improve to 18.9 km/l.

Though the number is not a lot, I'm encouraged as it seems to tell me that there is some room for improvement. Not sure if that is how the hybrid system is designed to do?

Btw, believe that the mpg quote here are in US unit, and not UK unit, yes?

Cheers!

Yeah, I took the HCH-III on a trip to Chattanooga, TN from New York. Those hills are a mpg killer! On the way back, having the trunk completely full and with the wife and kids really killed my mileage. Best I could pull off was in the upper 40's. Driving down without the kids and an empty trunk I managed low 50's for mpg, no thanks to the wife putting it in cruise control. Certainly turned my green eyes blue! That was tough to recover from. Now that I am back home on the flatlands I am again in the mid 50's so I can breathe easier.

Got my tier 2 award driving around town down south. Have about 5.5K miles on her, only had her 2 months. Probably will take the Odyssey down next time for comfort. I admit that the civic is not the ideal long-trip vehicle...

·
Registered
22 Posts
kck - I am starting to think that the only reason why i am getting low-to-mid fifties for mpg is because I try really hard to use the battery to maintain speed, not for acceleration. I have had a day or two where i just could not use the battery on my way to meet my carpool (due to evil traffic lights and bad drivers) and on those trips I could barely get to 50 mpg. For me, using and recharging the battery is the key to high mpg. On the highway, the key is to keep your foot planted in a way that gives you 5-8 mpg over the speed limit on the downhills and drops you 5-8 mpg under the speed limit on the uphills. It is a struggle and if you succumb to peer pressure on the road with the mean pickup barreling down on you in the right lane, the car is extremely sluggish trying to recover from the efficiency zone (50-65 mpg) into the blue zone to pick up speed. So basically what you said you do, but in order for you to get sustained +50 mpg, you need to do the things you don't want to do in your #1 and #2.

I had some really steep hills on my road trip a couple of weeks ago and i barely got out of the mid-to-upper 40's for mpg. I don't think there is much you can do on hills in this car other than drive really fast on the downhills and try to keep it green as much as possible going back up the uphills (trying not to get a speeding ticket in the process).

Good luck and sorry about your bridges!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Check your tyre pressures too, that makes a huge difference to me
That's what I was thinking as I read this. Interesting thread btw. Sometimes I try to get really good MPG rating with my SI - shifting to high gears, coasting in neutral etc., but then a few minutes of spirited driving kills all my progress! :)

21 - 40 of 40 Posts