9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone who is curious like me about the Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ. Below is a link of the Dyno results and video. Stock Si versus any of these two would be a good race! Thoughts?

2013 Scion FR-S gets first dyno run

"The 2013 Scion FR-S doesn't have the kind of power that results in jaw-dropping dyno numbers, but any naturally aspirated 2.0-liter four cylinder that promises 200 horsepower and 151 pound-feet of torque needs to be vetted out.

The good people at Edmunds did the vetting, and the hotly anticipated Scion model performed, well, predictably. The FR-S delivered what Edmunds called "the most repeatable runs on the dyno of any car in recent memory," with peak wheel power measuring 173 horsepower at 7,000 RPM and 143 pound-feet of torque at 2,500 revolutions. Keep in mind that these numbers are at the wheels, not at the crankshaft where factory numbers are recorded.

One interesting stat that showed up on the line graph was a 14-percent drop in torque between 3,200 and 4,500 RPM. This was reportedly done by engineers on purpose to increase driving pleasure lower in the rev range, which sounds like a solid compromise to us. Hit the jump to watch the video, and make sure to turn up your speakers for optimal boxer four enjoyment."

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And dealers are apparently asking $5k over MSRP for the BRZ. No thank you, its a Subaru, not a limited run Ferrari.
Haha. Yeah, No need to over price. It's not a GTR. I think the Scion will be slightly cheaper as it is a lesser brand then Subaru. If they marketed it as Toyota it would be the same.

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,768 Posts
And dealers are apparently asking $5k over MSRP for the BRZ. No thank you, its a Subaru, not a limited run Ferrari.
Was going to wait and try one of these and was told this at the dealer about going higher than MSRP and there was quite a wait list. That made it a no-go. Toyota is reportedly staying with the Scion pure pricing model and sticking to MSRP on the FR-S at $24,930. But with limited 2012 run, prepare again to wait a while for it.

Honda, if you're listening - this would battle the S2000 market nicely! How about a RWD coupe again?

·
Registered
66 Posts
yes this car is very overpriced for what it is. no "sports car" should only be putting out 173whp. When they get some STi tech in those things they will be sick though.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes this car is very overpriced for what it is. no "sports car" should only be putting out 173whp. When they get some STi tech in those things they will be sick though.
It's priced to compare with the Si. It's lighter, Close HP 200 vs 201, and for 25k. But the FR-S/BRZ does look flashier, is lower and lighter. I still think the Si wins in a race.

The other cars in the same price range is the Mazda MS3 263hp and Ford Focus ST 247hp. These are Turbo Charged. (Honda is slacking here)

·
Registered
66 Posts
It's priced to compare with the Si. It's lighter, Close HP 200 vs 201, and for 25k. But this car does look flashier, is lower and lighter. I still think the Si wins in a race.

The other cars in the same price range is the Mazda MS3 263hp and Ford Focus ST 247hp. These are Turbo Charged. (Honda is slacking here)
Yeah you got the GTI as well which is a fast little car. I would never own another VW though, haha

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah you got the GTI as well which is a fast little car. I would never own another VW though, haha
That makes 2 of us! (Never owned a VW and never will. Haha)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Utahs First [FONT=arial said:
[/FONT]2012 Si;64763]That makes 2 of us! (Never owned a VW and never will. Haha)
Yup biggest bag of shit I ever owned (my first car, 03 GTI). So many problems. Even if you get a brand new VW it sounds like it is breaking down when you start it.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup biggest bag of shit I ever owned (my first car, 03 GTI). So many problems. Even if you get a brand new VW it sounds like it is breaking down when you start it.
You sound like such a happy customer regarding your previous VW purchase :D

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
The car looks cool no doubt about that but the price is just too much.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I knew greedy dealers would ruin this.
Yeah, I'm going to go test drive a BRZ or FR-S. Same difference, But if I ever owned one it would be the Subaru. Scion makes me think of a chick car!

·
Registered
123 Posts
If I'm spending 25,000+ I'm getting a nice low mileage 05-06 C6 Corvette. 400HP and it will eat one of these in one bite and still get 30mpg on the hwy. Probably the best sports car deal out there right now...

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If I'm spending 25,000+ I'm getting a nice low mileage 05-06 C6 Corvette. 400HP and it will eat one of these in one bite and still get 30mpg on the hwy. Probably the best sports car deal out there right now...
Very true and I agree. But it's not the same as having a "brand new" car. Lol. And they are not in the same class.

I bought my Si randomly and spontaneously. Before I bought it I test drove three 8th Gen Si's. A 10' Lexus IS 250 and I had previously drove a 11' 3Z and a S2K.

I just didn't instantly fall in love with any of those. And they were cheaper and faster. But the 12' Si made me trade in my BMW.

There will still always be give and take for any car purchase. What matters is being happy and if you're not happy trade in your car and get a different one. Lol

·
Registered
222 Posts
kinda look like the hyundai genesis. and probably more comparable to it as well.

on the vw note, i only owned 1 94 jetta. i know its not fair to bash on a manufacturer base on a old used car but it was biggest mistake purchase ever, blew 3 fist size holes in my 5 spd trans after 1 launch... lol

i mean hell i beaten numerous civic that are running on 2.5 or 3 cylinders and they still drive LOL HONDA reliability :)

^( yes i can back that up, after owning 14 or so hondas out of 17 cars, they are best as in reliability and low maintenance! well i say one of top best if that)

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Noway! The Hyundai Genesis is horrid! Haha.

·
Registered
44 Posts
With the K series support already out there, the Subaru/Scion will have some catching up to do. Motor swaps to WRX and STI engines seems like the obvious fix.

·
Bluestar's winch!!
8,768 Posts
With the K series support already out there, the Subaru/Scion will have some catching up to do. Motor swaps to WRX and STI engines seems like the obvious fix.
From what I read with the low CG design and configuration of the engine in the engine bay, it's going to be tough to put a bigger engine in the car, especially one with a turbo. My two cents. Would be interesting to see though.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Very true and I agree. But it's not the same as having a "brand new" car. Lol. And they are not in the same class.

I bought my Si randomly and spontaneously. Before I bought it I test drove three 8th Gen Si's. A 10' Lexus IS 250 and I had previously drove a 11' 3Z and a S2K.

I just didn't instantly fall in love with any of those. And they were cheaper and faster. But the 12' Si made me trade in my BMW.

There will still always be give and take for any car purchase. What matters is being happy and if you're not happy trade in your car and get a different one. Lol
The problem with "brand new" is that it is only brand new for a few weeks... then it is just another used car. The point you make about them not being in the same class is exactly my point- why would you want the Scion or Subaru when you could have the Corvette for the same price. I love my LX coupe because it does what I bought it for- gets great mileage and is relatively comfortable. Also, the coupes just look really good. But, it's not a sports car and if I was looking for a sports car in that price range, I'd be crazy to buy anything except the Corvette. Each to his own I guess.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts