9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I decided to swap my tail lights. The 2014's are just too sexy to not have on my 2013. I'll preface this by saying I did very little research about the '14 tail lights. I did go to the dealer and as them if they were a direct swap. They pulled up the parts on their computer and we compared. And they seemed like a direct swap. Well, 6 hours later I can tell you that they are NOT a direct swap. Not even close.

(Top) 2013 Coupe Si Tail Light
(Bottom) 2014 Coupe Si Tail Light
Auto part Automotive exterior Vehicle Motorcycle accessories Automotive lighting

All 4 mounting locations are completely different. The brake light bulb socket (bottom socket in the pic) is significantly offset for the '14. And there is a 4th bulb. You can see the socket for it on far left side. This is a side blinker. I didn't know about this until the install. So I'll have to find a couple connectors and tap in to the blinker line.

This is the unmodified left side.
Helmet Personal protective equipment Motorcycle helmet Auto part Automotive tire

Modified right side.
Vehicle Car Hood Automotive exterior Auto part

We had to create brackets because the '14 bolt posts weren't long enough. The whole socket area that the brake light fits in to is much deeper on the '13. We had to cut out a half circle on the brake light bulb side to accommodate it. And for the posts that werent long enough, we had to cut out enough metal so a socket could get in there to bolt the posts to the new brackets.

(Left) High bracket
(Top Right) New hole, no bracket needed
(Bottom Right) Low bracket
Hood Vehicle Windshield Glass Car

The 4th post was way to short to modify. Also, it lined up with the curved area and making a bracket for that would have been difficult. We decided we would try mounting it with 3 posts, and if it felt solid enough, we'd skip the 4th post. And it was fine with 3 :)

Old and Ugly
Vehicle Car Automotive design Automotive exterior Luxury vehicle

New and hotness
Automotive lighting Vehicle Car Light Automotive design

I'm so happy that I decided to do the swap. The new tail lights fit perfectly with a black si. Now all I need to do is fine some blinker connectors and connect the side blinkers. As for this swap - If you're not willing to grind, drill and cut on your car, you may want to skip this swap.

Attachments

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,851 Posts
Very cool that you did this, and then posted about it. You are the go-to guy (via your thread) for this procedure for anyone who wants to give it a whirl. Bravo!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Would it be possible to modify the 2014 tail light for it to fit rather than modifying the car's mounting hole so in cause you want to the old one back you will be able to?
If not then those of us who want this style tail light will either have to wait for a similar aftermarket or tint their 2012/2013 tail lights to 2014 style.
Honda is honestly an asshole I was hoping this would be a direct swap.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,851 Posts
I was also wondering wouldn't be better for people who don't want to grind, drill and cut their car to just paint or vinyl their 2012/2013 tail lights in 2014 sideways V shape
Sure, that's possible. It appears that the reverse lights would overlap enough to allow them to show when lit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I've been debating whether to get the aftermarket coupe LEDs or the 2014 tail lights. The 2014 tail lights look amazing and I thought it was just a direct swap as well. But this post cleared everything up. The car looks amazing by the way. Great work on the tail light swap!

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,851 Posts
Sure, that's possible. It appears that the reverse lights would overlap enough to allow them to show when lit.
And if you don't like it, it is only vinyl.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Why add the 2014 tail lights, spoiler, bumpers, radio, lane watch camera, interior, wheels ect ect ect... ?? Sell your Si and buy a new 2015.. But then again the 2016-17 redesign is around the corner. Then you will want that.. haha Just never ends

·
Banned
2,667 Posts
I think if a direct swap came out as aftermarket I would buy it but otherwise I'd probably skip

·
Banned
2,667 Posts
Not sure if you're replying to someone or just randomly criticizing. At any rate. No. The 2015 front end looks like ass. The tail lights are sexy though. I wanted them. I bought them and installed them.
I agree the camera on the passenger side mirror makes it look like the civic has Down syndrome.

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,851 Posts
The 2015 front end looks like ass.
I had thought the same thing until I saw one in the flesh, so to speak, and each time I see one I like it a little more. I quite like it now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Awesome job on install and upgrade to 2014 tail lights. Are they still working good?! Did you have any problem splicing into side blinker connection? And once installed they fit flush exactly like old ones? Thx for sharing gonna do this install this week and I'll try and take pics

·
Registered
15 Posts
Awesome work! Kudos for being brave enough to cut and weld on your car. The '14 lights do look awesome, as soon as I saw a '14 I was fantasizing about swapping them onto a '12 or '13 because as you said, the front end is hideous on the '14 and can't compare to the pre-refreshed models.

Do you have any day pics or different angles?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts