9th Gen Civic Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone. I'm new to this forum. My mother recently got a 2014 Honda Civic 4 Door Sedan. I've installed Dash Cameras in other vehicles before, but never a Honda and need some guidance on trim removal. Dash Cam is going to be hardwired to fuse box. (See Images Below of my vehicle. Windows Blanked for Privacy).

A. Image #1 is the route I wish to take. Feeding the wire behind the curtains and hiding cable in the weather stripping and headliner.

B. Image of Vehicle

C. Apparently older hondas don't use a bolt on the SRS Cap.

Questions / Comments

1. Fuse Box is located under Front Driver Foot Well and is easily accessible for hardwire.

2. I need guidance on removal the A-Pillar. Contains Side Curtain. Notice in the image below, this vehicle has a speaker built into the A-Pillar. I found a video on youtube for the A-Pillar removal (but that vehicle didn't have a speaker). Is removing the A-Pillar still the same process on a 9th Gen Civic with the Speaker (sans the cable hooked to speaker) or is the process different?

If Different: Please post image or video on how to remove A-Pillar

3. The wire needs fed through B-Pillar, but the seatbelt height adjust goes all the way to the top. I am not sure if there's an area where I can feed the wire through or if I need to Remove B Pillar Trim to get the wire BELOW the side curtain so as not to obstruct.

I cannot find a video on how to pull the B-Pillar trim Out if needed. Images / Video would be helpful on removal.

4. C - Pillar Removal. Is this thread accurate on C-Pillar Removal for a 2014 Honda Civic 9th Gen? Again, I need to feed the wire BEHIND the curtain.

LINK: DIY: Rear Panel Removal For Sedan

Right Click on Image and Open in New Tab to View Full Size.

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive mirror Motor vehicle Vehicle

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive mirror

Light Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior

·
Photoshop Masta
2,971 Posts
Yes it's the same for the A-Pillar, you'll just have to unplug the speaker once you remove the pillar.

You really don't need to remove the other two pillars to feed the wire through. Just pull the weather stripping down and use a small flat head screwdriver or a trim removal tool to feed the wire under the pillars. That's what I did. Work smarter not harder.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it's the same for the A-Pillar, you'll just have to unplug the speaker once you remove the pillar.

You really don't need to remove the other two pillars to feed the wire through. Just pull the weather stripping down and use a small flat head screwdriver or a trim removal tool to feed the wire under the pillars. That's what I did. Work smarter not harder.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. From the picture that someone linked in an earlier thread, you'll notice that tucking is not the proper way method of installation. You'll cross over the Side Curtain in the C-Pillar, which will obstruct deployment. You have to route wires behind the curtain to avoid mishap. Requiring the C-Pillar trim at least be pulled off our back to feed the wire.

·
Photoshop Masta
2,971 Posts
I honestly didn't bother doing all that. I just tucked it enough where you can't see it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I honestly didn't bother doing all that. I just tucked it enough where you can't see it.
Unfortunately, that way is very unsafe and can compromise the vehicle's safety systems by preventing the curtain from deploying.

Those youtube videos promoting the "simplicity" of tucking the wires are ill advised.

·
Photoshop Masta
2,971 Posts
If you just go barely under it, there is NO WAY for that little wire to prevent the airbag from deploying.

Example:
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you just go barely under it, there is NO WAY for that little wire to prevent the airbag from deploying.

Example:
View attachment 494377

Unfortunately, this is inaccurate. That wire is crossing over the curtain and will most definitely cause a problem. Compare your photo to this youtube screen cap. You will clearly see the wire is crossing over the curtain. Which if that curtain tries to deploy, will be hung up by the wire in the pillar. It doesn't matter if it's "lightly" tucked in.

·
Photoshop Masta
2,971 Posts
Unfortunately, this is inaccurate. That wire is crossing over the curtain and will most definitely cause a problem. Compare your photo to this youtube screen cap. You will clearly see the wire is crossing over the curtain. Which if that curtain tries to deploy, will be hung up by the wire in the pillar. It doesn't matter if it's "lightly" tucked in.

View attachment 494378
How are you running the wires from the dash cam? Isn't the wire coming from the cam (behind the rear view mirror) and up into the headliner? Why are you removing that pillar? There's no need to run the wire along side that pillar/windshield.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How are you running the wires from the dash cam? Isn't the wire coming from the cam (behind the rear view mirror) and up into the headliner? Why are you removing that pillar? There's no need to run the wire along side that pillar/windshield.
I found a youtube video on the B-Pillar Trim Removal so think I'll be good now to tackle this project. Enlarge this image by right clicking and click view image. The green line is the path you take.

It absolutely doesn't matter. You are crossing the areas with the red circles. These contain a side curtain. And if the wire crosses over the curtain, and not behind the curtain, you have a safety issue. It will 100% be an issue for the curtain deployment.

I've installed dash cameras before, and trust me on this one, you're methodology is unsafe. Find a local audio shop in your area with good review. Take your car to them and explain how you routed wires.

They will without a doubt inform you what you've done is incorrect.

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive mirror Motor vehicle Vehicle

B-Pillar Trim Removal:

Attachments

·
Photoshop Masta
2,971 Posts
Sorry but wire running along side like this will NOT hinder deployment.

Good luck with removing the panels and all that though. Do whatever you feel is best, it's your car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry but wire running along side like this will NOT hinder deployment.

Good luck with removing the panels and all that though. Do whatever you feel is best, it's your car.

View attachment 494382
I'm not wanting to argue. I've done this numerous times before on vehicles. However, I will point out that your image verifies exactly what I state to be the problem.

See the Yellow Arrow. That's your side Curtain. Your red line CROSSES over the curtain. If you were to get in a car accident, and the side curtain deploys, it now catches on the camera cable.

This is why the cable needs routed behind the curtain and not overlapping.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.