9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! This is my very first post on here so please bear with me.

I bought the 2014 Civic coupe LX, brand new around February of 2014. It's a 5-speed manual and everything is stock but the wheels (it came with steel ones, switched to alloy rims). I love my car to death, but I think it's time to possibly do some performance upgrades on it.

From what I'm aware, there aren't many aftermarket upgrades that are compatible with the LX's engine (R18). This is one of the reasons I'm thinking about doing an engine swap, but after hours of research I couldn't find a proper source where someone has done an upgrade to the LX. I know I'll get told to just trade it in for the Si, but I'd like to build this one. I'm stretchy with how much I'm willing to spend, so I'll say $4000 give or take a few grand. My goal is to have it run around 400 WHP, I believe that's a pretty good amount considering I want to keep this car as my daily driver but it can still pack a mean punch. I've looked into several engines, and from what my research ended up resulting in, I'm thinking the possible engines for the swap would be B18C1, B18C5, K20Z1 or K20Z4. Maybe even the K24Z7 which is in the 9th gen Si, but from what I hear it doesn't have true VTEC? I'm well aware that with an engine swap I'd have to end up replacing many other parts on my car, and I have a few people willing to help me out on the build but getting the stuff, I'm on my own. Also, what would you guys say about adding a turbo/supercharger to a VTEC engine? Which one would you choose, or none, and why?

Please keep in mind that I'm definitely not the most experienced person out there, and I'm looking for honest advice. What would you guys do in this situation? What engines/upgrades would you recommend? Have you ever seen an LX with any performance upgrades done to it? How much would your recommendation cost in the end?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hey everyone! This is my very first post on here so please bear with me.

I bought the 2014 Civic coupe LX, brand new around February of 2014. It's a 5-speed manual and everything is stock but the wheels (it came with steel ones, switched to alloy rims). I love my car to death, but I think it's time to possibly do some performance upgrades on it.

From what I'm aware, there aren't many aftermarket upgrades that are compatible with the LX's engine (R18). This is one of the reasons I'm thinking about doing an engine swap, but after hours of research I couldn't find a proper source where someone has done an upgrade to the LX. I know I'll get told to just trade it in for the Si, but I'd like to build this one. I'm stretchy with how much I'm willing to spend, so I'll say $4000 give or take a few grand. My goal is to have it run around 400 WHP, I believe that's a pretty good amount considering I want to keep this car as my daily driver but it can still pack a mean punch. I've looked into several engines, and from what my research ended up resulting in, I'm thinking the possible engines for the swap would be B18C1, B18C5, K20Z1 or K20Z4. Maybe even the K24Z7 which is in the 9th gen Si, but from what I hear it doesn't have true VTEC? I'm well aware that with an engine swap I'd have to end up replacing many other parts on my car, and I have a few people willing to help me out on the build but getting the stuff, I'm on my own. Also, what would you guys say about adding a turbo/supercharger to a VTEC engine? Which one would you choose, or none, and why?

Please keep in mind that I'm definitely not the most experienced person out there, and I'm looking for honest advice. What would you guys do in this situation? What engines/upgrades would you recommend? Have you ever seen an LX with any performance upgrades done to it? How much would your recommendation cost in the end?
Cant tell if you are trolling

·
Truck? What truck?!
27,483 Posts
There are threads here in which people say get an Si.

There are threads here in which people say boost.

Even if you get an Si, you will have maybe half the hp you are looking for.

So you could trade for an Si and boost that, and then you may still not make 400 hp.

Or get a Porsche.

·
Registered
936 Posts
If you don't have experience why are you immediately jumping head first into one of the most complicated things you can do? Unfortunately your budget of 4k would probably just barely cover the cost of the motor/ trans itself. Getting to 400 whp is going to cost a lot more than that. Are you sure you've considered all the parts and hours of labor you'll have to invest in this thing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well 400 WHP is like a general number I'm reaching for, but not necessarily right off the bat. In other words, I'm not trying to achieve 400 WHP by doing the engine swap and slapping a turbo on it. That number is something I'd like to shoot for and achieve over the course of a few months. Hell, I may even reconsider that number after pulling off a swap (if I decide to do so), and just shoot for about 300 WHP, which seems to be a more realistic number. I've got a few friends who love working on cars and are willing to help me out though. Also, I'm about to get a lot of hate for saying this, but one of the reasons I didn't buy the Si when I was getting a Civic is because I don't really like the K24Z7 that comes in all 9th gen Si's. From what I was informed, it doesn't even quite have true VTEC like previous Si gens?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Unlike the k20z3 in the 8th gen, the K24Z7 doesn't have variable lift on the exhaust valves. This is virtually a nonissue for mild FI builds like what you're describing. I'm not clear on what exactly it is you're asking for. Are you looking for us to give you input on what motor and method of FI you should choose?

·
Registered
458 Posts
b18c swap in a 9th gen ? that sounds crazy lool
so the VTEC sound is your only reason to not get an SI ??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I apologize for not being clear in my initial post. Yes, that's exactly what I'm looking for. This is my first Honda ever and I absolutely love it, however I have no previous experience with Honda engines/builds. So to be straightforward, like you said, I'm looking for input on what motor and method of forced induction I should choose.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only reason I've considered the B18C as a swap for the 9th gen is cause I've heard people absolutely love this line of engines and could possibly fit well in a 9th gen Civic (all based on opinions from people I know). However, I personally think a K-series would be a better fit. Also to answer your question, the VTEC sound wouldn't bother me, it's just the way it works in comparison to the K20Z3 for example, as Squidward stated above, the exhaust valves don't get influenced by the variable timing, but isn't the whole point of having DOHC i-VTEC in an Si to have variable timing on BOTH the exhaust and intake valves?

·
I Need A Vacation
13,537 Posts
As mentioned earlier $4K is not enough to do an engine swap nor is it enough to properly boost.

I apologize for not being clear in my initial post. Yes, that's exactly what I'm looking for. This is my first Honda ever and I absolutely love it, however I have no previous experience with Honda engines/builds. So to be straightforward, like you said, I'm looking for input on what motor and method of forced induction I should choose.

·
Registered
936 Posts
The only reason I've considered the B18C as a swap for the 9th gen is cause I've heard people absolutely love this line of engines and could possibly fit well in a 9th gen Civic (all based on opinions from people I know). However, I personally think a K-series would be a better fit. Also to answer your question, the VTEC sound wouldn't bother me, it's just the way it works in comparison to the K20Z3 for example, as Squidward stated above, the exhaust valves don't get influenced by the variable timing, but isn't the whole point of having DOHC i-VTEC in an Si to have variable timing on BOTH the exhaust and intake valves?
To be clear there is variable valve TIMING on the exhaust valves, what's missing is variable LIFT. There's no denying that the older k20 heads are capable of higher cfm, which is why the 9th gen really isnt competitive in NA builds (unless headswapped). but for a mild FI build like what you're looking to do it won't restrict you at all. I really couldn't tell you what a B18 swap into a 9th gen would be like, I've never heard of anyone doing something like this. The most cost effective option would be to sell the car and get an 8th or 9th gen Si.

·
Registered
97 Posts
As a previous owner of an R18 and wanting to go fast first or last like Ricky Bobby, I explored all options in regards to building the R18, to be honest, it's not at all worth it, to see 400hp you're going to spend well over 8-9 thousand on the R18 and trans only to take a trip to boom town, population you.

I traded my R18 coupe in on a '12 Si sedan and have been happy ever since, it's the best bang for your buck. Even swapping something into an R18 platform is going to pull you out of pocket more so than just trading or selling the car and buying an Si will. As far as a B series swap in a 9th gen, Nah. If you want to B-series something, Grab yourself a EG OR EK hatchback and call it a day. Cheap easy bwaahh for your dollaz.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts