9th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am hoping to find someone who has had a similar issue and can provide some insight.

My lady's 14 Civic EX has 192,000 approx. I have done 100% of the preventative maintenance, repairs, etc on this car other than some recall work.

I've drained/refilled the CVT pretty regularly after the first change (which was around 50k) every 30k or so. I also changed the upper "filter", dealt with the vent clogging and popping the fill plug out, etc.

Drivers side CV axle has been changed twice, and a new axle seal installed on the last one.

The other day, she experienced the following issues:

All the warning lights/gauges, VSA, power steering, ABS, etc. lit up and the car went into limp mode. Shut the car off, turned back on and resumed as normal. Check engine light stayed on, but later went off and everything was fine.

I had the codes pulled and got 0793, intermittent shaft speed sensor. I did some searching but found this very inconclusive, other than one person having a similar issue and that resulted in a blown CVT transmission. The parts stores show two separate sensors, but no additional info as far as location. I can't even find anything that shows where these are on the transmission itself.

This car has had a weird shudder from approx 15-30mph for quite some time, but other than that, no driveability issues. It's almost like it's slightly down on power then comes right back out, but you can feel the shudder in the cabin. It does this from a stop or a rolling start. Throttle input doesn't seem to matter.

Has anyone experienced any, or all of the above? My biggest concern is not the tree of lights, but this speed sensor CEL and a possible link to the shudder and major transmission issues ahead.

Thank you in advance.

· I Need A Vacation
14,832 Posts
How many miles on the car? Limp mode is a sign that the CVT is weakening. Usually limp mode happens during a long drive where the transmission is under load ie. climbing hills. When shifting the CVT in to drive/reverse does it shift smoothly or is there any delay or shudder?

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many miles on the car? Limp mode is a sign that the CVT is weakening. Usually limp mode happens during a long drive where the transmission is under load ie. climbing hills. When shifting the CVT in to drive/reverse does it shift smoothly or is there any delay or shudder?
193,000 miles.

It happened locally, maybe 30-45min long drive. Flat land.

No issues with engagement in park, reverse or drive. Other than the shudder it drives totally fine.

I talked to a local transmission shop that said it’s shocking it lasted that long and there’s really no repairing them, it’s just a remove and replace the whole unit. The suggestion was to buy used, lower mile versus going through Honda. Apparently they are about $6,500 new which is more than the car is worth.

At this point, I don’t know if it’s worth just going that route or if I should even bother dropping the pan and checking for debris, replacing the sensors, etc.

· Registered
12 Posts
My 2013 Civic LX acted kinda like this. Made a post in case others came across it. I thought my transmission was shot and checked solenoids and everything. Ended up being a wire that wore down on a sensor or solenoid or something. Not sure how it wore down. Mechanic found it and fixed it, runs great again. Here’s a link in case it helps anyone.
2013 Civic LX Automatic Transmission/Emission Warnings

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
always try 3 drain and fills when the AT is acting up.
change your cartridge filter as well..

Use Honda genuine fluid and filters for the CVT.

100 bux in fluid is worth ruling out vs the cost to replace.

would also toss in a bottle of lubeguard for good measure.
Thanks. I haven’t seen lubegard before, I assumed any additive would be a no go since these CVT’s seem to be sensitive to anything that’s not Honda fluid.

I might try the drain and refill, fluid was not too long ago drained/filled. Maybe 15k ago.

My 2013 Civic LX acted kinda like this. Made a post in case others came across it. I thought my transmission was shot and checked solenoids and everything. Ended up being a wire that wore down on a sensor or solenoid or something. Not sure how it wore down. Mechanic found it and fixed it, runs great again. Here’s a link in case it helps anyone.
2013 Civic LX Automatic Transmission/Emission Warnings
Thanks for sharing that. I’ll have to take a closer look and make sure something similar didn’t happen. Glad you ended up having a simple fix.

Update - been driving the car the last few days. I checked the VCC/ABS etc fuse and it was fine. Checked the motor mounts and they seem ok. Checked the airbox hose again and it was fine (I’d already replaced this a few months ago).

I also did a valve adjustment, JUST in case it was causing a weird bog being out of spec. Unfortunately it didn’t clear the shudder, but HOT DAMN did it make an enormous difference overall. No more RPM limitation and the engine is MUCH more responsive. Both the intake and exhaust valves were way out of spec (loose) and I am positive they were not achieving full lift. This was not a difficult job. I took my time and spent a few hours doing it.

Took the car to a trans shop and they said it feels like the torque converter (or start clutch, whatever it’s called in a CVT) is bad. The trans does not slip, “shifts” fine. They said $2,500 for a used unit or $2,700 for a rebuilt unit by a shop that specializes in CVT rebuilds. Includes all new hard parts, full disassemble and clean, sensor replacements, labor and reprogramming to the car. Has a better warranty than used. So, if it is the trans we’ll prob go that route.

Took it to another shop, they said they don’t think it’s the trans and they want me to drop it off for a day and they’ll check all the suspension, mounts, CV’s etc for excessive play. Obviously that’s a better outcome.

For anyone that may be a wizard in Honda codes, here’s what’s showing now:
83-12 PCM malfunction A/T
61-11 modulator control power source

Any ideas?

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you find out what anything? I have the exact same problem going on and cant find anything else on the web bout it.
Hey, so we ended up running into a dead end with the codes. Two shops couldn't pinpoint exactly what they were, and searching online was inconclusive without throwing parts at the problem.

Ultimately, the CVT failed at 213k. The VSA/limp mode only happened once and never again. The car ran fine and then literally upon startup, the CVT started acting completely erratic and would actually lurch and shake the whole car in "D". It ended up snapping the belt as it was being driven onto a dolly to go to the shop.

I sourced a used CVT from a salvage yard for $1,500 and paid a shop just under $900 to install. The car is no longer on DD duty and is moreso my commute to work/run around car. My girl got a newer Civic, as we decided it was too much role of the dice to keep the '14 a reliable daily for as much as she drives (like 25k/year).

I will forewarn everyone - the 14-15 CVT cars are really a nightmare to deal with the CVT long term reliability. Honda doesn't make replacements anymore from what I was told and OEM parts for rebuilds are impossible to find. So you're left to scavenge salvage yards and it's really hit or miss. Expect to spend $2,500-$3,500 just for the transmission, plus install. I "think" I got a good deal, as the trans I got has 36k on it and I paid about $1,000 less than the others. However, I will never fully trust the drivetrain again. The 16-21 CVT's are have been mass produced in the millions and can be had <$1,000.

· I Need A Vacation
14,832 Posts
Hey, so we ended up running into a dead end with the codes. Two shops couldn't pinpoint exactly what they were, and searching online was inconclusive without throwing parts at the problem.

Ultimately, the CVT failed at 213k. The VSA/limp mode only happened once and never again. The car ran fine and then literally upon startup, the CVT started acting completely erratic and would actually lurch and shake the whole car in "D". It ended up snapping the belt as it was being driven onto a dolly to go to the shop.

I sourced a used CVT from a salvage yard for $1,500 and paid a shop just under $900 to install. The car is no longer on DD duty and is moreso my commute to work/run around car. My girl got a newer Civic, as we decided it was too much role of the dice to keep the '14 a reliable daily for as much as she drives (like 25k/year).

I will forewarn everyone - the 14-15 CVT cars are really a nightmare to deal with the CVT long term reliability. Honda doesn't make replacements anymore from what I was told and OEM parts for rebuilds are impossible to find. So you're left to scavenge salvage yards and it's really hit or miss. Expect to spend $2,500-$3,500 just for the transmission, plus install. I "think" I got a good deal, as the trans I got has 36k on it and I paid about $1,000 less than the others. However, I will never fully trust the drivetrain again. The 16-21 CVT's are have been mass produced in the millions and can be had <$1,000.
TBH to get 213K out of any transmission your doing pretty good really nothing to complain about there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts