9th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. New here and trying to troubleshoot an extended crank issue on my GF’s 2014 Civic coupe EX.

Every few starts, it turns over for longer than normal. It’s not a WEAK start like a bad battery (battery was replaced +/- 6mo ago). The speed of which the engine turns over is fine. It just takes about 1.5x as long before the engine actually fires.

It has 174k (approx). I’ve read the fuel pump/filter are non serviceable. I can hear the pump prime when the ignition is on accessory mode. Regular maintenance has been kept up.

In browsing, it seems like people are pointing at the battery, alternator, starter or fuel pump.. possibly fuel regulator.

Pretty confident I can rule out the battery and alternator. The starter doesn’t run slow or have issues engaging. The fuel pump primes and the car doesn’t miss and doesn’t appear to be down on power (although, it’s not exactly a race car :) ). No check engine light.

I’m not super familiar with Hondas, so I’m seeing if anyone has had a similar issue or successfully repaired this issue before. Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 2012 civic, where every few starts it took longer to crank. In my case however it did eventually throw a check engine code. Turned out the Purge Control Valve needed to be replaced.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a similar issue with my 2012 civic, where every few starts it took longer to crank. In my case however it did eventually throw a check engine code. Turned out the Purge Control Valve needed to be replaced.
Great - thanks for replying. That would make sense. It hasn’t thrown a CEL yet but that’s definitely worth checking.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts